1. Unify the fan base
2. Will have great relationships with the players
3. I feel he will go over well with recruits
4. It appears he will have a great group of assistants around him
5. Cyclone to the bone...not here to go anywhere else...here to stay.
1) Not *****
2) May be a catalyst to set off Hilton Magic again
3) Current recruits expressing EXCITEMENT to come to Ames
4) Is a great person and can attract the kind of young men that can shine at Hilton
5) Has a desire to be here (and I wouldn't expect him to jump ship if he got a sniff of success)
1.Can unify the fanbase
2.Can manage ego's
3.Natural born leader
4.Can close the borders to Roy Williams
5.$$$$$ should come back to the program, as well as enthusiasm
6.Otz has gotten some good recruits in the door, coaching was the issue, Nurse on staff equals good x and o's
7.great advisor in Johnny Orr to assist him if needed
1. Basketball Management Experience- Coaches are administrators, not guys drawing x's and 0's (look where the last x and o coach got us)
2.NBA Playing Experience (wide eyed recruits would shy away from this!?!)
3.Working in the NBA would give him tons of connections
4. Local Relevance
5. He is the friggen Mayor!
This will work. He has inherited an absolute mess, so people need to be a bit patient, but this will work.
-Connections at the highest level
-Broad understanding of how the highest level works
-Ability to connect with the players (he's been there before)
-Proud of his heritage that he now plays a part in shaping
-Knowledge of the game is second to none
-Ability to converse with families of recruits (again he's been on the other side and knows the details about the goals the families wish to achieve)
-Good looking (the women in my life are adament this will help)
I didn't use numbers, because all of these things are good enough reasons alone to think The Mayor will get it done!
2) Will unequivically sell ISU.
3) Will put butts in seats.
4) Will have national recruiting ties just due to his NBA experience
5) No more risky than any other names being spouted about
I would challenge the haters to come up with 5 reasons it is a terrible hire and not include the fact that he has no head coaching experience. All of us supporters are aware of that fact.
Honestly I was kinda ticked when I first heard but I literally am getting more and more stoked. Ya know what really sold me? When I told me wife (and she literally knows nothing about Hoiberg or bball in general) and I was like "It is kind of a risky hire". Her response? "Well, it can't get any worse".
That is the legit truth here; we are swinging for the fences. It could end up being the best thing ever, but even if Fred fails, he literally couldn't do worse than Greg did...seriously...
In fact, the only downside (other than just continued losing but I honestly am use to it as I expected more to come with Greg) is the possibility of having ISU "seperate" themselves from Fred if things don't go well. That would suck....:sad:
I like the hire based on my notion that it is PO'ing the same losers on this message board that haven't shut their traps for the last year or more and maybe someday soon they will be gone from here for good.
If we are going to run an up tempo style O and mix it up on D with presses, then I love it. TJ will take care of recruiting until the others pick up the slack, and so we just have to hope these guys can teach.
Any coaching change is a risk. ANY CHANGE. Fred has different risks than some, but Billy G had risks, and Billy Kennedy had risks.
I think it'll be OK. Maybe all of this happened for a reason. Maybe it was fate that McDermott get a crazy contract to his son's second choice school that he can't turn down and maybe that led us to Fred as a coach.
as I keep saying, the unknown with this hire is attractive to me. I'm excited to see what we've got here.
1. Time will be given to Freddy that wouldn't be afforded to other coaches by the fans.
2. He will keep Nick Nurse if possible. Nick will be the x and o guy. This will be a huge advantage for Freddy
3. Otz stays on board so we don't lose the recruits that we would have if a coach was hired that couldn't accept Otz.
4. Grayer will get to stay and to fill in the squad maybe we can get walk ons such as his 2 sons and Darius Stevens to support the team
5. He has all the support from past coaches and legends