Re: Need CF internet tech support
I asked friends and everyone seemed to like their Motorola Surfboard. So that's what I got. Most of my friends had the $50 Docsis 2 one: Amazon.com: Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem - RoHS: Electronics
Originally Posted by 1100011CS
I went with the Docsis 3 one; just to future-proof myself a bit:
Amazon.com: Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem: Electronics
You don't need to call Mediacom to switch. Although if you want your bill reduced you do have to bring the rental modem back to their office. These are the instructions I used:
1) Swap modem.
2) Go to any web page and the "Walled Garden" page will come up.
3) Enter your full account number from your bill.
4) Enter the last 9 digits of your account number as your Registration Code.
5) Click button to swap your cable modem.
6) It should show you your new modems MAC address. Whatever number is on back of modem.
7) Enter 99999 as the Tech ID.
8) Wait 5 mins and try another web page.