TeeTee Starks to transfer

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
This has to to catch all of us off-guard in context to the seemingly anomalous departure of Jadda. I will add the big loss in 1st round of the NCAA and new contract for Bill as additional context.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Good lord, the conspiracies continue. Was there the same thing when Prohm or Fred lost players? It happens for goodness sake. If you look at Bill's coaching style, he challenges you to do what you need to do to contribute to team success. 95% of the players succeed at that. Some don't handle the pressure. TeeTee had a particular skill set that was developing (got better on D after being a liability, handled the ball well, learned to rebound), but what was glaringly absent was any type of offensive threat. Bill has had those types of players before, but they excelled in other areas that gave them value on the team. The one thing we all know is that we DON'T know why Jadda retired or TeeTee is leaving. Why would a new contract for Bill influence anything? Weird statement.

I will say that I'm surprised by this as I saw TeeTee improving. Would she be a starter next year? Not sure. Would depend on her summer. There is a great class of players coming in and they will push anyone on the team for playing time.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

This does not surprise me. TeeTee is a pretty good player on a team that just does not run an offense/defense system like the one she thrived on in HS. After seeing her in HS it seemed like an odd fit from the get go. Hey, just IMHO, I am no hoops scheme genius. Hopefully she can find a good fit somewhere that runs a more pressing running style. Wishing her the best.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I agree that other systems might be a better fit. She could be impressive and fun to watch but did not have the shooting skills needed to really thrive. Unless she developed them. Always hurts to lose someone with experience.

I also saw that volleyball had a few transfers both out and in. One of the top freshmen opted for a small college environment. Lots of reasons as factors.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I agree that other systems might be a better fit. She could be impressive and fun to watch but did not have the shooting skills needed to really thrive. Unless she developed them. Always hurts to lose someone with experience.

I also saw that volleyball had a few transfers both out and in. One of the top freshmen opted for a small college environment. Lots of reasons as factors.

Volleyball maybe is not the best comparison because transfers are immediately eligible and do not have to sit out. Our volleyball team has been a gainer and a loser on that.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Good lord, the conspiracies continue. Was there the same thing when Prohm or Fred lost players? It happens for goodness sake. If you look at Bill's coaching style, he challenges you to do what you need to do to contribute to team success. 95% of the players succeed at that. Some don't handle the pressure. TeeTee had a particular skill set that was developing (got better on D after being a liability, handled the ball well, learned to rebound), but what was glaringly absent was any type of offensive threat. Bill has had those types of players before, but they excelled in other areas that gave them value on the team. The one thing we all know is that we DON'T know why Jadda retired or TeeTee is leaving. Why would a new contract for Bill influence anything? Weird statement.

I will say that I'm surprised by this as I saw TeeTee improving. Would she be a starter next year? Not sure. Would depend on her summer. There is a great class of players coming in and they will push anyone on the team for playing time.
I never said we knew why. What I said is that the days of being surprised are over. Chris said he was surprised and I'm not sure why. There is not a player on either the men's or women's team that would surprise me if they transferred. Not a single one. With the stuff that has "happened" in the women's program any chance of surprise is even smaller.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
You know how this works. If it can be taken as anti-Bill, even in some weird or vague fashion, people get ticked off.
I don't know enough to be anti-Bill, frankly. I DO understand how my post could have been taken that way.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
What I said is that the days of being surprised are over. Chris said he was surprised and I'm not sure why.

We recruit a player for years, give them a scholarship, coach them, and academically support them then are ambivalent to the point of expecting them to opt out. Can't believe any program, coach, player, or fan would hold that opinion especially of a regular starter and liked Iowa State player as TT. It is a given that teams lose players and the reasons are too varied to generalize.

Last edited:

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Likely unrelated, but I did think it was odd how long it took anyone to come help her when she got hurt vs Syracuse.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY and cyputz