Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
WDSM, found a good match for you. My kid watches this show called ridiculousness. Woman on here appears to be smart enough to breath, questioning if she's smart enough to come in out of the rain. Just sits and giggles the whole show. That slow witted giggle also.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
WDSM, found a good match for you. My kid watches this show called ridiculousness. Woman on here appears to be smart enough to breath, questioning if she's smart enough to come in out of the rain. Just sits and giggles the whole show. That slow witted giggle also.
Her laugh is way too annoying for me.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Pants if you are in LA for work at all, the Dodgers are serving a tuna poke bowl at the ball park.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
maxresdefault.jpg

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
whar Excel people? I want to do something very simple but cannot figure it out. I just want to count duplicates in a column. I want to do exactly what the "remove duplicates" button does but NOT remove the dupe data. Just tell me how many rows are duplicated. I want this:

cowgirl
cowgirl
kcc
carvers
carvers
carvers

sara
sara
sara
sara

=6 duplicate values

not

cowgirl=1
carvers=2
sara=3

which is what a lot of the help seems to want to do. That or give me a count of unique values.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
whar Excel people? I want to do something very simple but cannot figure it out. I just want to count duplicates in a column. I want to do exactly what the "remove duplicates" button does but NOT remove the dupe data. Just tell me how many rows are duplicated. I want this:

cowgirl
cowgirl
kcc
carvers
carvers
carvers

sara
sara
sara
sara

=6 duplicate values

not

cowgirl=1
carvers=2
sara=3

which is what a lot of the help seems to want to do. That or give me a count of unique values.

So follow that help then do a sum function of the total it give you for each value; ie - add the individual totals.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

cowgirl
cowgirl
kcc
carvers
carvers
carvers

sara
sara
sara
sara

=6 duplicate values

not

cowgirl=1
carvers=2
sara=3

What about noting the total of the column entries, using the remove duplicates button, noting the total of the column entries, then using the "undo" feature to go back to the original? Then, just subtract the second total from the first. Would that work for you? I test things like that all the time...

Side note - nice to know I'm the only one that's unique! ;)

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
What about noting the total of the column entries, using the remove duplicates button, noting the total of the column entries, then using the "undo" feature to go back to the original? Then, just subtract the second total from the first. Would that work for you? I test things like that all the time...

Side note - nice to know I'm the only one that's unique! ;)

So follow that help then do a sum function of the total it give you for each value; ie - add the individual totals.

KC's method is what I do now, but I would like this to be something I could have update automatically via the use of a named range when I add data. If there's nothing faster that doesn't require creating new columns and multiple steps to get there each time, then I'll continue with what I do now.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Speaking of Excel, why does it default formatting cells into something other than text?
Why doesn't it default to text and then let you tell it what sort of formatting you want? I am tired of typing stuff into columns and by default it thinks it must be some sort of formula and changing it.

I use it for making spreadsheets with hexadecimal addresses and the like for documentation.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Speaking of Excel, why does it default formatting cells into something other than text?
Why doesn't it default to text and then let you tell it what sort of formatting you want? I am tired of typing stuff into columns and by default it thinks it must be some sort of formula and changing it.

I use it for making spreadsheets with hexadecimal addresses and the like for documentation.
Hexadecimal? Is that the molecular structure for crystal meth?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Worried now that if Cowgirl hits that "remove duplicates" button that she might accidentally remove the original Carver and Sara. Not liking the idea of having a Stepford Carver and Stepford Sara replace them in RTT.

Fish knifes, then GTO's murder house and now this! :eek:
But you still get the real me! Aren't you LUCKY????? :D

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

really annoying when I have stuff with leading 0's that I want to keep.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
KC's method is what I do now, but I would like this to be something I could have update automatically via the use of a named range when I add data. If there's nothing faster that doesn't require creating new columns and multiple steps to get there each time, then I'll continue with what I do now.

Serious here, doesn't DH do programming or IT stuff? Outside of maybe gr8, he would probably be able to help you better than us. Unless you are looking for smartaleck responses like most of us will give.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Because Excel sucks. It's the worst piece of software ever. It's used for everything and Microsoft tries to support people using it for everything. So instead of being great at a few things, it sucks at everything.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron