Has Bill Self underachieved in the post season at Kansas?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Oregon played a great game but I think KU may have let their total dominance over Big Ten champ Purdue go to their head a little. That was definitely the worst I've seen KU shoot the ball this year and it wasn't all from defense, they didn't shoot well on open 3s and easy finishes around the hoop.

Oregon is legit, hard to believe they have a key injury, but I think if KU shoot even 10% below their season average from 3 they'd have got them.
Agreed except the stuff about the Purdue game. It played no part in this game. We went 5 of 25 from three. It had nothing to do with bad coaching or arrogance. We couldn't hit our threes in the first half and were scared of Bell's shot blocking abilities on drives to the rim. That left them scrambling and then the shot even worse in the second half. The tourney is about shot making and we picked a bad day to have a terrible day shooting. Combine that with some bad bounces (had three rebounds that two KU players fought for and knocked away from themselves go right to Oregon) and some lucky bounces for Oregon (banked in two threes to close the half) and you go home earlier than hoped. It's no more complicated than that.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Kansas embarrasses the Big XII once again. Does any major conference have a "blueblood" that chokes more in the post season?
Kansas was once again the last Big 12 team standing in the tourney. WE were not the source of embarrassment for the conference.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Agreed except the stuff about the Purdue game. It played no part in this game. We went 5 of 25 from three. It had nothing to do with bad coaching or arrogance. We couldn't hit our threes in the first half and were scared of Bell's shot blocking abilities on drives to the rim. That left them scrambling and then the shot even worse in the second half. The tourney is about shot making and we picked a bad day to have a terrible day shooting. Combine that with some bad bounces (had three rebounds that two KU players fought for and knocked away from themselves go right to Oregon) and some lucky bounces for Oregon (banked in two threes to close the half) and you go home earlier than hoped. It's no more complicated than that.

That's what happens when you live and die by the 3

Reactions: awd4cy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
O was the better team that night, probably most every night they might have played. They were bigger, stronger and more athletic. Self said so after the game. "We don't see athletes like that in the Big 12," or some such. So, it is a statement about the league, which is average, and has been since the start. Not unlike the Big 10 in that way.

Last edited:

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
That's what happens when you live and die by the 3
In the last 4 seasons, KU has had a grand total of just TWO games, regular season or tourney, where a player attempted 6 or more threes and did not make a single one; last year's Elite Eight and this year's Elite Eight. March Madness.

This sport is gut wrenching and awesome. I love it.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
In the last 4 seasons, KU has had a grand total of just TWO games, regular season or tourney, where a player attempted 6 or more threes and did not make a single one; last year's Elite Eight and this year's Elite Eight. March Madness.

This sport is gut wrenching and awesome. I love it.

That's what happens when you live and die by the 3 in March.

Reactions: Desiigner

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
O's guards were big and athletic enough to take Ku out of its game. Self said that afterwards. Something to the effect that the Big 12 doesn't have athletes like the Ducks, thus Ku couldn't sustain its runs.

O was the better team. They were expected to be here before the season started. Due to injuries or whatever, they didn't perform as well early as at the close. Would not surprise to see them lift the trophy. It will be a moral victory of Ku types, if that happens.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Worst offensive game from KU all season. They didn't have an elite defense this year which they usually have so bad offensive night couldn't be overcome with defense. Also doesn't help that Dorsey is just on fire in the tournament. Some of the 3s he has been hitting you can't do anything about.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Kansas was once again the last Big 12 team standing in the tourney. WE were not the source of embarrassment for the conference.

I'm kind of suprised at only one win at the Sprint Center in the Big 12 and NCAA tourney combined?

• Informative
Reactions: 3GenClone

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You can tell it's the end of a long season when cytwins runs out of funny material and to resort to reusing stuff.

I wasn't trying to be funny. It's true, you guys relied on perimeter scoring and that was the death of you when you got cold. You guys were good, could beat anyone on a given night but could lose to anyone too if your shots weren't falling. That's basketball

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
By the way, did anyone read the latest Hines article. Pretty cool nugget in there about Self calling Prohm after ISU won in Allen Fieldhouse telling Prohm he hoped the win was a springboard for the rest of the season. Pretty cool gesture.