The Fillmore?

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I thought I knew all the bars in Ames. Must have been before my time or located way off in the weeds somewhere.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
The Fillmore was a bar that had live rock bands in the early 80's. It later became the Mississippi Queen. It was in a large building West of Duff and North of Hwy 30, kind of behind where Old Chicago is now. It had a large stage and multi-level seating where 400 people could watch a band.

hansen55

Apr 12, 2006
Avoca, IA
So you are talking about where Hickory Hall is currently (Hickory Park's Banquet Hall), or where Hunky Dory's (sp) used to be located.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
The Fillmore was a bar that had live rock bands in the early 80's. It later became the Mississippi Queen. It was in a large building West of Duff and North of Hwy 30, kind of behind where Old Chicago is now. It had a large stage and multi-level seating where 400 people could watch a band.

Thanks, 83. This was a little before my time at ISU. Apparently U2 played at the Fillmore in 1981. Curious to see if anyone saw that show and could share their thoughts. This was obviously well before U2 became huge.

Mick Haggy

Mar 26, 2017
Sorry, I'm a little late in replying, but, yes, I'm told I was there, and also that they weren't real good at the show. Their "hit" at the time from their debut album was "I Will Follow", &, interestingly, I read that they have performed this song at every concert since. Also, I do remember seeing Billy Squire there later, I believe after the name was changed to Mississippi Queen. Here's the U2 setlist for the '81 show http://www.u2gigs.com/show258.html

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Sorry, I'm a little late in replying, but, yes, I'm told I was there, and also that they weren't real good at the show. Their "hit" at the time from their debut album was "I Will Follow", &, interestingly, I read that they have performed this song at every concert since. Also, I do remember seeing Billy Squire there later, I believe after the name was changed to Mississippi Queen. Here's the U2 setlist for the '81 show http://www.u2gigs.com/show258.html

A little late? I guess 11 years is not to late.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Was it related to the many other Fillmore music venues. Fillmore east, Fillmore Denver, etc? Maybe none of them are related, don't really know.

Mick Haggy

Mar 26, 2017
Good question. They did do franchising, or maybe that's why it became the Mississippi Queen. They sued their ass.