NYC Beercation

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just got back from 6 days in NYC. Found a few good bars/beers. My goal was to find some great bars and have a lot of NE style juice bombs.

Bars
Hops Hill(2 times)-Brooklyn-Probably my Favorite
  • Maine-Lunch
  • Other Half-Daydream in Green
  • GreenPoint-Interstellar
  • King County Brewer Collective-Robot Fish
  • Other Half-True Green
  • Maine-Another One
  • Alchamist-Focal Banger
Hot Bird-Cool Place-Not good beer selection
  • Half Acre-Daisy Cutter
The Blind Tiger-Excellent
  • Half Acre-Vallejo
  • Grey Sail Brewing-Captain's Daughter
  • Other Half-Maple Creamies
Torst
  • Pizza Boy-Polar Vortex
  • Evil Twin-Some people are Immune to good advice imperial maple stout
Keg and Lantern-Didn't realize we were in a polish neighborhood until we went in and didn't hear any english
  • K&L-Heart Shaped Box
GreenPoint-Good beer and cool cans at other places but at their taproom they were lacking
  • Greenpoint-Flannel Shirt
  • Greenpoint-Levity
  • Greenpoint-Runner

To summarize:

Brooklyn is where it's at for Craft Beer
Other Half was probably my favorite beer overall

Some pics of food and beer

American Museum of Natural History
h5jewPl.jpg

Raclette
0CrAYr9.jpg

Prince Street Pizza
m44Lrr9.jpg

Focal Banger

6skoqGr.jpg

Little Cupcake Bakeshop-Best Chocolate cake in The U.S.
ULSan8U.jpg

Cronut-30 minute wait to buy two and it was worth it
5ZXl9kQ.jpg

Junior's Cheesecake
fu3Mmju.jpg

Roberta's Pizza
Y24FKHR.jpg

Xi-an Famous Foods
MrxGzI0.jpg

Vanessa's Dumpling House
xi64cWm.jpg

Korean Beef Jerky-A lot softer than your standard beef jerky
bHVvNEs.jpg

Half Acre-NE style beer
UvjNX20.jpg

Lucali-3 hour wait. Jay-Z said it was his favorite pizza and it was worth the wait.

c1xcqBe.jpg

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We did NYC last week and the places we went were:

John's of Bleecker Street (best New York Style pizza I had there
Lombardi's (America's first pizzeria) in Nolita.
Bagels on the Square - amazing.
Ed's Lobster Bar- lobster roll was fantastic
Beckett's Bar and Grill on Stone Street (awesome outdoor seating area in the street)
Brookfield Place (basically a glorified food court but was easy to grab something quick before hitting up the 9/11 memorial musseum).
Malatesta Trattoria - the spinach gnocci I had there was the best thing I had in NYC.
Pig Bleeker - brand new brunch stuff with all kinds of unique meals. I had an open faced smoked pork roll with egg and cheese on a potato roll.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We did NYC last week and the places we went were:

John's of Bleecker Street (best New York Style pizza I had there
Lombardi's (America's first pizzeria) in Nolita.
Bagels on the Square - amazing.
Ed's Lobster Bar- lobster roll was fantastic
Beckett's Bar and Grill on Stone Street (awesome outdoor seating area in the street)
Brookfield Place (basically a glorified food court but was easy to grab something quick before hitting up the 9/11 memorial musseum).
Malatesta Trattoria - the spinach gnocci I had there was the best thing I had in NYC.
Pig Bleeker - brand new brunch stuff with all kinds of unique meals. I had an open faced smoked pork roll with egg and cheese on a potato roll.

The 9/11 Museum was my favorite. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge was a little overated IMO

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I assume you mean every touristy thing that there is to do? Yes, probably.
No! You've freaking won! Sitting here at my teachers desk drooling over your food and craving a beer. When we went for the Pinstripe Bowl I only went to the Garden to see Phish, went to Times Square, and to McSorley's.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
No! You've freaking won! Sitting here at my teachers desk drooling over your food and craving a beer. When we went for the Pinstripe Bowl I only went to the Garden to see Phish, went to Times Square, and to McSorley's.

We decided to skip times square. The 9/11 Museum was amazing, went on a good food tour at Chelsea Market also. Just to make you want more, here is a video from Raclette.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The 9/11 Museum was my favorite. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge was a little overated IMO

Yeah I thought it was very well done. And so amazing they built it around the original foundations. 100 years from now when all first hand sources have died, it will make it seem very real to people who visit it.

It was also very sobering and brought up a lot of sad/angry feelings I had from 16 years ago. I remember leaving it feeling very somber similar to when I visited the Holocaust museum in DC.

Reactions: dmclone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Other things we did.....Freedom tower - Amazing.

Saw the Charging Bull. Was too crowded.

Saw In Transit, amazing acapella broadway.

Timesquare was cool, but way too crowded.

30 Rock, Rockefeller plaza, St. Patricks Cathedral, Grand Central Station, New York public library, and radio music city were all cool to see.

Also saw Trinity Church where Alexander Hamilton was buried.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Awesome! Looks like a great trip.

I've been to Blind Tiger & did a tour of the Brooklyn Brewery.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I'm going in June. I grew up out there so I'm usually visiting friends but hope to do some breweries this time around or find a good brew pub. I've always found the best pizza and bagels were on Long Island, I may be bias though. Don't forget to get a bacon egg and cheese on a Kaiser roll.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I really wanted to visit Other Half but it is just too small/busy.

A few things I learned while in Brooklyn that I didn't know.

#1 We stayed near GreenPoint and nearly everyone we talked to said something along the lines of "The hipsters have taken over this area". What's funny is that about 25% of these people had man buns, nearly everyone had a tattoo, and I would describe most of them as hipsters if I saw them walking down the road. We were checking out a used clothing store and they had Knoxville Nationals T shirts :)

#2 Not just Brooklyn but everywhere we went there was no room. Places to eat had room for 10 people with about 40 inside. I'm not just talking tourist places, I'm talking about everywhere and everything you do. It felt so good to walk into Jimmy Johns today and not have to stand in line, eat standing up, etc. So much room.

#3 Maybe it's just where we went but we were all over on the subways and saw very few homeless.

#4 Used Juno instead of Uber. A little better rates and the drivers get a higher %.

#5 People were friendly when you talked to them and it's a great place to visit but It would be about 500th on the list of places I'd want to live. From my experience, I think I may even pick Chicago over NYC and that's saying a lot.

#6 Headphones are worn by everyone/everywhere. I can see why, it's so loud and on the subway there are a lot of things you don't want to hear. Same for restaurants.

#7 I really didn't find it overly expensive. Just like anywhere you can spend a lot if you want to. I noticed a lot of smokers which surprised me considering cigs were $15/pack and the mayor wants them to go up another $2.