Spring 2017 Volleyball Schedule?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here's the summary from ISU:

MINNEAPOLIS – Iowa State put up a strong effort against 2016 Final Four participant Minnesota before falling to the Golden Gophers 3-2 (25-22, 25-20, 20-25, 22-25, 9-15) Saturday afternoon at the Sports Pavilion.

The Cyclones were led by 20 kills from Josie Herbst, while Grace Lazard fired 16 kills at a .400 hitting percentage. Hali Hillegas led the back-row defense with 28 digs, while Monique Harris had a double-double of 38 assists and 12 digs.

Iowa State worked hard to ensure they stayed ahead of the Gophers throughout the entirety of the first set. The Cyclones rushed out to a 12-8 lead, but the Gophers never let the Cyclones get too far ahead. Minnesota tied it back up at 20-20, and had it at 22-22, before Iowa State ran off the final three points of the first to take the opening set 25-22.

The Gophers had the better of the early portion of set two, but Iowa State roared back with a 5-0 run to get ahead 17-14. The Cyclones rode the momentum the rest of the way, getting up five at 20-15 and bringing the lead home smoothly at 25-20.

ISU rushed ahead in the first set, building up an early 11-7 advantage. The Gophers battled back and ahead at 16-15, and were able to pull away and finish off the third set at 25-20. Minnesota continued to control the action in the fourth set, moving up by as many as six points at 17-11. The Cyclones rallied late, cutting the Gophers lead down to three at 22-19 before UM wrapped up the set at 25-22.

Minnesota got the two-point breakthrough at 7-5 in the fifth set. The Gophers pushed the advantage to 10-7, and ran away with the fifth 15-9.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
well Herbst certainly sounds good! Nice to see Grace is doing well. And Hali! Libero U!

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
well Herbst certainly sounds good! Nice to see Grace is doing well. And Hali! Libero U!

I'm a big fan of Herbst after watching last night. Girl has a lot of power built up in that body, as she was just destroying it at times. And Grace was just punishing the ball, knocking the cover off of it every time she connected.

Team definitely started to look winded in the start of the 4th though, especially as they got even more undermanned.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
For the comments on the crowd in Manchester, I've got an uncle with a daughter in high school. He's really into volleyball and his daughter plays on the H.S. team. He didn't have any clue about the event a couple of weeks ago when I asked him if he was going. I don't know if the school did a very good job of publicizing it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
For the comments on the crowd in Manchester, I've got an uncle with a daughter in high school. He's really into volleyball and his daughter plays on the H.S. team. He didn't have any clue about the event a couple of weeks ago when I asked him if he was going. I don't know if the school did a very good job of publicizing it.

Was not even on the sports calendar for the HS. I posted it to Manchester Facebook groups and folks on those pages were interested to hear about it. Just weird to me that the local school folks didn't seem to be promoting it, folks who I know heard about from me. Maybe it is so Hawkish that they just did not want to promote rival Badgers and Cyclones, which would be silly but who knows. If the sets were anything like the ones played here in Mpls (and it sounded like they were) then folks missed out on some really good volleyball.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
If anybody cares to elaborate, I just have some random stuff. I didn't get to see any of the spring contests, so I know nothing of what's going on outside of reading things. Herbst seems to filling in pretty well as a hitter. Is she the player with the jump serve?

I have questions after seeing the recent results. With our limited numbers, why didn't we see more of Bailey in the last two matches? Maybe she played, but didn't have many kills, kind of like Miranda. I thought she would be seeing more time by now.

Is Hannah Cherry playing? I thought she was gonna play right away. I haven't seen her mentioned or on the roster?

• Creative
Reactions: cyking

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If anybody cares to elaborate, I just have some random stuff. I didn't get to see any of the spring contests, so I know nothing of what's going on outside of reading things. Herbst seems to filling in pretty well as a hitter. Is she the player with the jump serve?

I have questions after seeing the recent results. With our limited numbers, why didn't we see more of Bailey in the last two matches? Maybe she played, but didn't have many kills, kind of like Miranda. I thought she would be seeing more time by now.

Is Hannah Cherry playing? I thought she was gonna play right away. I haven't seen her mentioned or on the roster?

Do not know. I just like to watch. I am the Chauncey Gardiner of volleyball fans.

Chatted a little with Coach Johnson-Lynch but my volleyball acumen is too limited to ask anything that would not just embarrass me. :oops:

Help Support Us

Become a patron