RECRUITING: Australian punter Corey Dunn commits to ISU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Guess I was expecting an Aussie rules FB kind of punter. Personally, I don't like that style just because if the returner gets to it, he usually has a lot of room. Plus the block team can get pretty close to a punter rolling out.

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Guess I was expecting an Aussie rules FB kind of punter. Personally, I don't like that style just because if the returner gets to it, he usually has a lot of room. Plus the block team can get pretty close to a punter rolling out.
If you have someone who can both conventional punt but can also roll out and punt it can help. Rolling out can help buy time for your coverage team to take away a return before it even starts and it can also desensitize the punt return team to movement by the punter. He might get two steps on a punt fake before the return team recognizes it is a fake and not rolling out to punt. Two steps can often be the difference between a converted first down and a first down going the other way.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Good Aussie punts are close to unreturnable. I would prefer that's the route we went and I was pumped to see this guy but it turns out he's just a normal punter.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
C-hDkBvU0AA3HHE.jpg:large
I feel like any minute, his face is going to come apart to reveal Arnold Schwarzenegger underneath, ready to kick ass and liberate Mars.

Bs8Ic2rIEAAecwr.png