Basketball new juco commit?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Call me skeptical on a 6'4 190 lb 4.

To be fair, he's listed at 210 now, certainly not huge but he hits the glass hard for a guy his size. I'm not saying he can be a 4 but he's a slasher type of 3 who's production came almost 100% in the paint. Only seeing offensive highlights, he's more of a 4 than a 2, again not saying he can be a big 12 4, I don't think we can say one way or another with knowing how he plays defensively. That's why a 6'4 Deonte Burton could play the 4, he could guard 4's. I think he's a different style of player but he could be used in a similar role to Nick Babb. The difference maybe being, Babb has already proven that defensively he can play 1-4.

With that said, at this point, I'm not 100% on board with taking this kid. If we find out Brown isn't coming, it would make sense. A class of Shayok, DCJ, Beverly and Morrow wouldn't be the home run we were all looking for but it's nothing to sneeze at, especially with Lewis, McNeil and Wigginton included. 17/18 would still be rocky but beyond that would be set up perfect.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Well I was already on full Elijah Brown/ Ed Morrow announcement watch now the intrigue of a mystery recruit will have me refreshing twitter every 10 minutes the rest of the weekend.
Davion Cole-Johnson was the first name the popped in my mind when I read the OP.

Reactions: woodm07

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Does he look 6'4"? I see very little chance he gets minutes at the four for a good Big 12 team. Imo best case is his game is like Jake Anderson's, but he seems likely to end up Bluford.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Any chance the coaching staff could be looking at him as a redshirt candidate, so he has an extra year to acclimate to D1 ball and work on his shot and academics?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Did some more digging. Here's an article from this past Feb that gives a list of schools recruiting DCJ. This article was about Ole Miss coaches watching a Juco recruit on the team playing against DCJ.

MGCCC (16-5, 8-4 MACJC) also has several players receiving looks from the next level.

The highest-profile player is sophomore Davion Cole-Johnson, who has received offers from Southern Miss, Iowa State, Jacksonville State, UTEP, Nicholls State and Arkansas-Little Rock. Cole-Johnson did his part for MGCCC Thursday, scoring 20 points with eight rebounds two assists, three steals and one block.

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/article133350779.html

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Nobody on here ever watched Kenny Pratt play at ISU..

We would definitely sign more SG/SF's...We need scorers..

I get the mentality of we have this kid for 3 years as opposed to 1 year, however its all about 2017 right now..not 2020.

I was in my 20's when Kenny played, so yeah, some people have seen him.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

str8cashhomie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 15, 2014
I thought i was around then but what in the hell is an old school early 2000s type game?
I think it was discussed in another thread when we were first mentioned with Cole-Johnson, but it's basically a tike and style defined and highly influenced by the And1 mixtape era and a focus in the NBA on raw athleticism over refined skillsets. Think Vince Carter's heyday and the height of playground ball and what basketball at the pro level looked like. Really chippy and taking it as a personal offense to dunk on or get dunked on.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
To be fair, he's listed at 210 now, certainly not huge but he hits the glass hard for a guy his size. I'm not saying he can be a 4 but he's a slasher type of 3 who's production came almost 100% in the paint. Only seeing offensive highlights, he's more of a 4 than a 2, again not saying he can be a big 12 4, I don't think we can say one way or another with knowing how he plays defensively. That's why a 6'4 Deonte Burton could play the 4, he could guard 4's. I think he's a different style of player but he could be used in a similar role to Nick Babb. The difference maybe being, Babb has already proven that defensively he can play 1-4.

With that said, at this point, I'm not 100% on board with taking this kid. If we find out Brown isn't coming, it would make sense. A class of Shayok, DCJ, Beverly and Morrow wouldn't be the home run we were all looking for but it's nothing to sneeze at, especially with Lewis, McNeil and Wigginton included. 17/18 would still be rocky but beyond that would be set up perfect.

I trust Prohm so his opinion is the one that matters. People here are so hard on recruits. If they read this site we would be playing walk ons at best.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

I think this videos been posted in a thread before, but he's definitely a wing guy, not so much post. He's really athletic and has a good hesitation blow-by move getting to the basket, but obviously doesn't have great outside shooting numbers.

The "early 2000s" are "old school"? Sheesh, I must be lumped in with George Mikan.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Let's all just be willing to admit that this spring we're striking out on nearly all of our top priority recruits. We did get Shayok of course, but he won't help us this year. Outside of him, we're now grasping at straws.

With that being said, this doesn't mean that all of the guys we do get won't be good or be able to help us out. It just means we aren't getting the top guys we wanted. There's a decent chance that we'll only be adding Cole-Johnson and Beverly at this point for the upcoming season. Neither one is a shooter, but more slasher type guys. It would be a bit worrisome IMO if we aren't adding any shooters for this year, but so be it.

This year just might be an NIT year, but we can always hope that we outperform expectations and make the NCAA tourney.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
He's a 6'4" version of Juiston. Slasher, great athlete, but zero shot. I'm guessing he's not a great passer if he's only been playing for two years.

The Kenny Pratt example is probably a good one.

At this point I'm just hoping we land Morrow and can get our young guys lots of experience for 2018.

From the small amount of clips he doesn't look anything like the 4 Pratt was. He is a slasher 3 with a good handle. While Pratt could weave through bodies at times, I wouldn't call him a slasher. It certainly looks to me as though he's played basketball longer than 2 years. It could be that he didn't play organized basketball until recently.