Getting respect from Mississippi St. writer

• Thread starter Deleted member 8507
  • Start date

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I don't know how you can be so high on next year's team. This year's team, by BFs on admission, was comprised of the "Big 3". They were the only players that we had on a consistent basis - again BFs words. Losing one was going to be hard enough - but now we lost two of the three...

I like Durr, I really do... but she has been soooo inconsistent in her play. She was not seeing much time as a junior for a team that was struggling last year. Granted she did start to get her time after BF realized that TT was really not good. Point being - She has not shown us anything that should give us hope that she will be a high level Big 12 player next year.

We can all hope that Nia makes some huge strides and is able to get some minutes at the point. She certainly did not show much in the minutes that she did get last year.

The loss of Jadda is HUGE! We have supposedly a very good recruiting class coming in. However, how many times have we seen freshman come in and thrive for Iowa State? It is few and far between. It would have been a much better outlook to have two of the big three coming back.

I don't agree with this. Emily was close to 30+ minutes once she was inserted into the lineup as a starter with significant minutes the season turned around. She also was shooting over .400 from 3 at that time, and that number significantly dropped because of her elbow.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I don't agree with this. Emily was close to 30+ minutes once she was inserted into the lineup as a starter with significant minutes the season turned around. She also was shooting over .400 from 3 at that time, and that number significantly dropped because of her elbow.

Here are her conference stats. My point was that she is incredibly inconsistent. She average 8.1 pts a game. That is not exactly super encouraging for a junior that we are expecting big things from next year. I get it... the elbow... the big three... the TT situation. Trust me - I like Emily and I HOPE that she steps up big next year - but to say that we can expect that based on what we saw this year... I don't think so.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I don't know how you can be so high on next year's team. This year's team, by BFs on admission, was comprised of the "Big 3". They were the only players that we had on a consistent basis - again BFs words. Losing one was going to be hard enough - but now we lost two of the three...

I like Durr, I really do... but she has been soooo inconsistent in her play. She was not seeing much time as a junior for a team that was struggling last year. Granted she did start to get her time after BF realized that TT was really not good. Point being - She has not shown us anything that should give us hope that she will be a high level Big 12 player next year.

We can all hope that Nia makes some huge strides and is able to get some minutes at the point. She certainly did not show much in the minutes that she did get last year.

The loss of Jadda is HUGE! We have supposedly a very good recruiting class coming in. However, how many times have we seen freshman come in and thrive for Iowa State? It is few and far between. It would have been a much better outlook to have two of the big three coming back.

We have a bunch of talent coming back. Durr showed she was a Big 12 player this year. Not see time? You must have been watching a different team because outside of one very small stretch she was a mainstay on the court averaging over 23 minutes per game. Carlton will be a year better. We have the top juco post in the country coming in. We have three all star freshmen coming in (and I expect ALL will have an impact right out of the gates). Mere is back and will have the freedom of playing multiple positions for once. Nia will be a serviceable backup. Camber showed that she deserved minutes and will be another piece in the depth chart. Ricketts will add depth at post and forward. As for freshmen not having an impact? Oh my...the list is long. How many years to you want me to go back where ISU has had a frosh have a big impact on the team? Jadda? Seanna? Carlton? Prins? Pop? Williamson? Christofferson? Lacey? Weiben?

So, what's not to like?

• Agree
Reactions: barometriclow

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Here are her conference stats. My point was that she is incredibly inconsistent. She average 8.1 pts a game. That is not exactly super encouraging for a junior that we are expecting big things from next year. I get it... the elbow... the big three... the TT situation. Trust me - I like Emily and I HOPE that she steps up big next year - but to say that we can expect that based on what we saw this year... I don't think so.

Your stats only look at one aspect of her game. How many games did Jadda have low scoring output but picked it up in other ways? I remember seeing Durr have games in which she had 3-4 points and contributed with rebounds and assists. Look at their whole game.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
We have a bunch of talent coming back. Durr showed she was a Big 12 player this year. Not see time? You must have been watching a different team because outside of one very small stretch she was a mainstay on the court averaging over 23 minutes per game. Carlton will be a year better. We have the top juco post in the country coming in. We have three all star freshmen coming in (and I expect ALL will have an impact right out of the gates). Mere is back and will have the freedom of playing multiple positions for once. Nia will be a serviceable backup. Camber showed that she deserved minutes and will be another piece in the depth chart. Ricketts will add depth at post and forward. As for freshmen not having an impact? Oh my...the list is long. How many years to you want me to go back where ISU has had a frosh have a big impact on the team? Jadda? Seanna? Carlton? Prins? Pop? Williamson? Christofferson? Lacey? Weiben?

So, what's not to like?

We are losing 4 players that played (34,35,17,18) minutes a game. We are losing 34.8 points per game - that is 51% of our scoring. We are losing 17.6 rebounds a game - that is 47% of our scoring.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Your stats only look at one aspect of her game. How many games did Jadda have low scoring output but picked it up in other ways? I remember seeing Durr have games in which she had 3-4 points and contributed with rebounds and assists. Look at their whole game.

Now you are talking about Jadda - The point was how inconsistent Emily has been. I agree that Jadda was a very good player and her loss is going to be HUGE.

Emily on the other hand... She only had more that 2 assists in conference 3 times. She only had more that 4 rebounds in conference 4 times. She did NOT contribute in other ways as you said. Now... I will say that is mainly due to her not being part of the "Big 3" The ball was their hands WAY more often. My whole point is that she has been inconsistent - which her stats show. That has not lead me to believe that she is going to step into an all big 12 player next year.

As for Meredith - Everyone always thinks that another year makes some sort of huge difference in a player. It really does not always work like that. Her numbers: Freshman (8.8 pts/5.1 reb) Soph(7.7 pts/4.7 reb). A regression? Would you say that we were stronger in the post last year or this year? With a stronger post presence this year (Bowe vs. Baier) I would say that she actually regressed.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We are losing 4 players that played (34,35,17,18) minutes a game. We are losing 34.8 points per game - that is 51% of our scoring. We are losing 17.6 rebounds a game - that is 47% of our scoring.

Of significance we lose 28 points per game (two starters and 38% of our scoring). 11 boards from those two (28 percent of the team). The others are a scattering of reserve stats. We will have a deeper bench and better post play in the coming year. Its easy to talk about what we lose and not be able to quantify what we are gaining. I could just as easily forecast that Jadda would be hobbled by injuries and be a shadow of herself. I'd much rather look at the positive of what this team can do than look at the glass as 3/4 empty and in its death throes.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Of significance we lose 28 points per game (two starters and 38% of our scoring). 11 boards from those two (28 percent of the team). The others are a scattering of reserve stats. We will have a deeper bench and better post play in the coming year. Its easy to talk about what we lose and not be able to quantify what we are gaining. I could just as easily forecast that Jadda would be hobbled by injuries and be a shadow of herself. I'd much rather look at the positive of what this team can do than look at the glass as 3/4 empty and in its death throes.

I think we should be cautiously optimistic. Last years incoming class was a roster filling wing and a prayer. This incoming class is totally different as far as what we might reasonably expect. On paper it's a really good class and it's not just Cyclone fans noting that. Me personally, I'll be patient next year and maybe expect bigger things in 2018-19 if by the end of 2017-18 we see the team jelling some.

Last edited:
Reactions: acoustimac

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! or not. I think I'll wait till some BB is played next season before writing it off. I'm actually hoping for an improvement over this year, but we'll have to wait till the B12 part of the schedule to find out. Lots of new players it probably take some time to gel.

Reactions: acoustimac

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! or not. I think I'll wait till some BB is played next season before writing it off. I'm actually hoping for an improvement over this year, but we'll have to wait till the B12 part of the schedule to find out. Lots of new players it probably take some time to gel.

You know what NWICY? That's probably why they go ahead and play the games. Otherwise we'd never really know who was what or who had what.