In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I did 90% of my college drinking at house parties and rest at bars. Even after I turned 21 I did more drinking at parties. Bars were just too expensive. We'd go to Buck Burgers every week and maybe watch South Park at Welch Ave, but not much bar hopping outside of that.

I was also in band and we had parties every week during football season and multiple parties outside of the season as well. I hosted way too many keggers and luckily never got busted for underage kids drinking at my house.

It helped that the few times we had police come to our house, the cop was a former band member (if I remember right) and my roommate just went out front and chatted with him while all the youngsters went out the back.
By the time we were seasoned vets, we preferred to hang at houses and pregame until we were drunk enough, then go to bars and have a few more drinks just to keep it going

FAC was an exception..that was the pregame to the pregame lol

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I believe it was gone by the time I started in '04, but my brother used to tell me about a crappy video store that sold ****** pizza on Hayward just south of Lincoln Way. Always sounded like the videostore from Clerks. Haha!

bOdpzrMfcormtxj5T9mbwQO6o1_500.jpg

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Lots of memorable places. Also some places that must have opened and closed since I left Ames as I never heard of them

Also loved when they did the FAC on the terrace of the Union, always a band and lots of beer but I am sure they lovely tradition is no longer. Nothing like drinking within a few short steps away from an afternoon class

I believe Pizza Pit is still there right?

Cloned

SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009
Oaks golf course and that other 9 hole goat track that was out between Ames and Nevada, someone will remember the name. Cheap golf and endless beer from my golf bag.

Reactions: beentherebefore

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
There was a Chinese restaurant on Welch Avenue across from the Subway. I can't remember the name of it. They had some of the best fried shrimp dishes. I was never a fan of Chinese food before I went there and most Chinese since has been a disappointment in comparison.

Anyone remember the name of it?

EDIT: Many remembered it was called Cocost, and it was awesome.

I effing loved Cocost, and for a long time everything was 5.00 even. I'd order curry chicken every time, and the guy who who owned the place called to the back over his microphone like he was announcing the starting lineup at a basketball game.

"Cuuuurrrrry chicken"

• Winner
Reactions: Angie and cyhiphopp

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I haven't gone through the whole thread, but did anyone mention Do Biz Cookies? I don't know that they were great, but it was a big part of Ames in the 90's.

Ah, see it was mentioned on page 3 by @OPCyclone.

Since I can buy the dough at HyVee, I don't really miss Do Biz.

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
Lots of memorable places. Also some places that must have opened and closed since I left Ames as I never heard of them

Also loved when they did the FAC on the terrace of the Union, always a band and lots of beer but I am sure they lovely tradition is no longer. Nothing like drinking within a few short steps away from an afternoon class

I believe Pizza Pit is still there right?
MU Terrace parties are one of my top memories from senior year at ISU.

Reactions: Cyclone90

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I did 90% of my college drinking at house parties and rest at bars. Even after I turned 21 I did more drinking at parties. Bars were just too expensive. We'd go to Buck Burgers every week and maybe watch South Park at Welch Ave, but not much bar hopping outside of that.

I was also in band and we had parties every week during football season and multiple parties outside of the season as well. I hosted way too many keggers and luckily never got busted for underage kids drinking at my house.

It helped that the few times we had police come to our house, the cop was a former band member (if I remember right) and my roommate just went out front and chatted with him while all the youngsters went out the back.

Same here on the ratio. Only went out for specials or when the girls really wanted to. We had a ton of keggers at this one apartment because it was so expensive. Cops only showed up once. I told them there were two girls fooling around with each other in the shower, he didn't believe me, checked it out, laughed and gave us a warning.

Reactions: dawgpound

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Oaks golf course and that other 9 hole goat track that was out between Ames and Nevada, someone will remember the name. Cheap golf and endless beer from my golf bag.

The the oaks was great for some cheap ass golf. Especially when your a hack like myself.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
2 year resident of 535 Welch (the last house on the corner) circa 2002-04.
At least every other weekend we had a kegger.

That was one of our go to spots as well, and those would have been my freshman/sophomore year. Thank you sir for providing me with booze and entertainment.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The the oaks was great for some cheap ass golf. Especially when your a hack like myself.
The Oaks was open 12 months a year. You were just supposed to put some money in an envelope on the door. I played rounds of golf there in freezing rain and with snow on the greens. If your ball landed in the snow it was a free drop. If there was snow between your ball and the hole on the green you would just move your ball over so you had a straight shot to the hole.

Reactions: LindenCy

ILikeTurtles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2011
Does anyone remember Cy's actually having a deli? Why does the sign say that?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Dungeon
- Custom made sandwich bar

This was a daily occurrence for us. Bonus was even though they scanned your card, it didn't count as a meal. I remember when people found this out the line would be out the door.

Same when people found out the West Hy-Vee self checkout wasn't actually charging your card for a few weeks.

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp