Big XII Tournament Virgin

Madmaxk

Sep 8, 2023
All session tickets secured. Lodging within walking distance booked.

Now for the important part, what are the cyclone spots for pre and post game festivities?
What things are a must do? Must eat at?
What are your favorite parts of the tourney in KC?

Reactions: He-Guy

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I like q39 but others will say differently. Either way im sure youll enjoy some fantastic BBQ. If you like quality cocktails, there is a speakeasy in the basement of Hotel Phillips. Other than that, it’s a madhouse and cyclones will be everywhere. I don’t know of a specific bar and I mostly just hung out at P&L. Have fun, it’s a blast.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
We always go to Kelly's Wednesday night. Then the rest of the weekend in P&L where we reserve a table at a bar for our large group. So worth the price and location.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Power and Light is a lot of fun for the tournament. Q39 is one of my favorite restaurants down here, which is pretty close to Kelly’s in Westport as others have said to do Wednesday nights. Another thing to do if there’s extra time is check out the new Fowling Warehouse that’s off 435 and State Line. Otherwise Top Golf is obviously a safe bet as well.

The Peanut is another good restaurant. KC Joes. Slaps. My wife loves Yard House.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What’s the significance of Wednesday night at Kelly’s? With the double bye, we won’t play until Thursday now.
Its a big Iowa State night there. We don't play until thursday but a lot of people come into town on wednesday (i imagine more this year with the tournament starting earlier)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Plan to spend the post-game Tuesday, March 12th (WBB) and Saturday, March 16th (MBB) at the Marriott for celebration with the teams!

Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not mentioned yet but if you're willing to drive a bit Lc's BBQ is good the neighborhood is sort of industrial but it's fine. Kc Joe's is another staple. Boulevard Brewing does a nice tour and has a big beer hall reservations suggested for the Boulevard tour if I remember right.

SolonCy

Aug 23, 2008
Wife and I will also be first time Big 12 tourney attendees; opted for a less expensive hotel with a 20 minute drive. Looks like there are many options for parking; any suggestion would be appreciated.

We also opted to not buy the all session access, but plan on buying individual session from scalpers or from other attendees that lose in the first two rounds. My thought is that with as poor as Kansas State and Kansas are playing, there will be alot tickets available from their disappointed fans. Any thoughts or advice?

Madmaxk

Sep 8, 2023
It's where ISU fans have gone for decades. It's a staple. It's a must. Wednesday is super fun there too when we aren't playing until Thursday.
I don’t question Kelly’s. Sounds like that has the THE Cyclone bar for a LONG time. My question was more why Wednesday? I expect it top be packed all week or for at least as long as ISU is playing.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I don’t question Kelly’s. Sounds like that has the THE Cyclone bar for a LONG time. My question was more why Wednesday? I expect it top be packed all week or for at least as long as ISU is playing.
It's not packed all week. Wednesday is then things move to P&L.