*** Official #20 BYU vs #6 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
last night that didn't work, but the changes and substitutions are still being tried.
I just mean in the big 12 tournament, I might try it even if it wasn't working great considering that a loss would mean more rest. It wouldn't be throwing in the towel either.

I think Watson was in for most of that 11-0 run, though. Paveletzke should have drawn a couple fouls but he was in the game when knocking and Iowa State player to the floor wasn't a foul.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Cut them some slack. We all get emotionally invested and when things go south, some people get into the grieving process. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression. Would be nice if some people wouldn't use CF as a journal to cope.
Where would you have them cope?

Is an online free public forum with hundreds/thousands of other diehard Cyclone fans not the single most perfect place to cope!?

Reactions: Die4Cy

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I just rewatched the Rob Jones putback five times. The foul was called on Richie Saunders (dirty prick) who came across the lane at Rob. He never reached Rob until he was going back up in shooting motion. If they had called it on Hall, who was the BYU player who actually had an arm wrapped around Rob's waist on the rebound, it might have made more sense to be on the floor/rebound.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
saw this comment on the byu boards. Any idea why this byu fan seems like we need a reality check for the next realignment? I find it funny that the teams' fanbases we threw lifelines at seem so annoyed with sharing a conference with us. We might as well build a salt mine in Provo.

View attachment 125101
I was curious why the op feels it would be karma if we were left out of the next round of realignment, and if you dig into the thread they are butthurt over the ISU student council holding a meaningless vote to protest the inclusion of BYU into the Big XII over some of their student conduct policies (specifically the homophobic ones). I remember that story from discussions on this board, but I bet most ISU fans aren't even aware that happened.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and NWICY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was curious why the op feels it would be karma if we were left out of the next round of realignment, and if you dig into the thread they are butthurt over the ISU student council holding a meaningless vote to protest the inclusion of BYU into the Big XII over some of their student conduct policies (specifically the homophobic ones). I remember that story from discussions on this board, but I bet most ISU fans aren't even aware that happened.
The whole post was funny. Fairly complimentary tone and then at the end "oh by the way, f*ck you"

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The whole post was funny. Fairly complimentary tone and then at the end "oh by the way, f*ck you"
Everyone talks about how nice they are, but they have an undercurrent to them that makes them real easy to hate. Should make for some fun rivalry moments going forward.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Where would you have them cope?

Is an online free public forum with hundreds/thousands of other diehard Cyclone fans not the single most perfect place to cope!?

Its not terrible. For me though, I'm usually just better off mentally screaming at the TV alone. Posting on the message board (or even reading a game thread) usually just makes me angrier. To each their own, though.

Reactions: NENick

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
Anyone else watch BYU TV Sports Nation with hosts Jarom Jordan and Spencer Linton, which I think do a good job and are pretty likeable? I record it so I can FF past the non-men's basketball segments but it airs LIVE daily on DISH 9403 and BTN + at 11 am. Also past episodes...

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I just rewatched the Rob Jones putback five times. The foul was called on Richie Saunders (dirty prick) who came across the lane at Rob. He never reached Rob until he was going back up in shooting motion. If they had called it on Hall, who was the BYU player who actually had an arm wrapped around Rob's waist on the rebound, it might have made more sense to be on the floor/rebound.
The ref gave the foul to the wrong number, which is bad, but you can see him make the motion of reaching around and pulling the shorts which is what the guy trying to box out Rob was doing. Right foul, wrong player. I'm not sure how he would have gotten him confused with #15 except for the obviously shallow genetic pool Utah is working with.

Realistically that kind of foul gets let go at least several times per game, but he was definitely holding Rob on the floor.

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
saw this comment on the byu boards. Any idea why this byu fan seems like we need a reality check for the next realignment? I find it funny that the teams' fanbases we threw lifelines at seem so annoyed with sharing a conference with us. We might as well build a salt mine in Provo.

View attachment 125101
To their credit, another BYU dude called him out on that one.

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
They got looks but I think they themselves were the tired ones which is weird because it felt like the pace of the game favored them by quite a bit.
I think a subtle defensive adjustment ISU made was to start picking them up full court at about the 2nd media TO of the 2nd half- it didn’t generate any TO’s but their guards had to work to get it up the floor, it took time off the shot clock, and it disrupted their offensive flow and ability to get into their actions in the half court. And it wore them down. Gilbert HARASSED his guy bringing it up. Haven’t seen much of this because ISU hasn’t been down by 10 or more a lot this year but good to have in the back pocket if needed on down the road.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I love the difference in fan base responses on our respective boards to the respective losses of our teams against each other this year.

We lose in Provo and it's largely well s*** we got outplayed, that team's just a bad matchup for us, hope we get them back in Hilton.

They lose in Ames and it's hurf durf the arena was too loud, the students are too close and we can't hear coach, the refs f***ed us, hope they get realigned out, blah blah blah.

I don't know why anyone likes or even tolerates this (BYU's) athletic dept or this school. Bunch of hypocrites. They piss and moan about playing basketball on Sundays and the NCAA has to schedule around them every year, but when their football players get to the NFL all these issues of playing on Sunday vanish. "I'm a highly observant Mormon until you pay me enough money" I guess. Their campus "personal conduct" code also openly discriminates against same-sex relationships. F***'em.

I also don't know how any sane person watches that game and thinks ISU came out favored by the officiating.
Your argument seems weak and petty. It's not the athletes not willing to play on Sundays It's the university. Did you really think " the punky QB" was a Mormon?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Just watching the replay now, what an absolute travesty of a call on BRE getting fouled. That's one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

That could have easily cost us the game and at the very least it cost BRE his moment on senior night.
The call on Gilbert's steal was easily worse, there was no contact there, in this case there was a person holding Rob's shorts, so at least it was a real thing the ref saw.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The call on Gilbert's steal was easily worse, there was no contact there, in this case there was a person holding Rob's shorts, so at least it was a real thing the ref saw.
They must have given the foul to the wrong guy then because the guy that got called definitely wasn't grabbing him.

• Winner
Reactions: keepngoal

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

View attachment 125101
Dude isn’t aware how much their church loves the state of Iowa. The Mormon Church is on a full blitz trying to buy as much farmland as possible using some pretty shady tactics once their hidden fund got exposed. Sadly an Iowa company has their fingers all over facilitating it.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: ca4cy and NENick

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Just watching the replay now, what an absolute travesty of a call on BRE getting fouled. That's one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

That could have easily cost us the game and at the very least it cost BRE his moment on senior night.
It was a bad call, but if it's one of the worst you've ever seen, you need to get out more. :cool:

Reactions: KidSilverhair

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
I noticed some fans wearing BYU gear last night & I said, "Welcome to Iowa State". I asked where they were from & a gentleman replied, "Iowa City"....:rolleyes:
That could easily be because they are in a grad program or teaching there having gone to BYU. I’ve seen that a lot in Ames actually.

Having said that, there were Hawkeye fans in full gear at the game in Provo.

Thanks for contributing financially to a school you don’t care about because you hate your rival so much I guess?