Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Every BIG 12 team will beat suckeyes…
They might split with WV, Okie St, maybe even Cinncy…but they would get destroyed in this conference,..,, they are WEAK!
It took me way too long to realize you weren't talking about Ohio State.

But I think the point works just as well either way.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
You think Iowa could beat UCF or Cincy? I know they don’t have good records but I have no clue how Iowa could match up with their players. Cincy has elite athletes and UCF has a top 25 defense.
I think probably home team wins any of the hypothetical games. They're OK teams. If I had to guess Iowa would be slight favorite on neutral venue

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Iowa lost to Michigan. We lost to Texas A&M and then prison raped you guys by just driving the lane and dumping off. That is what UCF did to us, they would eat you alive.
Ya and I'm not the one saying ucf is incapable of beating Iowa. Again BC I'm taking the home team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It seems to be a forgone conclusion from what I’ve been hearing and reading. The win over a Northwestern team starting a walk-on has really cranked up the hype machine over there.

Illinois isn't that good. Iowa is not that good, but I wouldn't count on a Brad Underwood team.

Illinois will probably be able to do whatever they want but will settle for 3s.

Coaches/teams go dumb against Iowa because they hold their arms out like a 7th grade team in 1994.

• Funny
  • Winner
Reactions: dtISU and Die4Cy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Illinois isn't that good. Iowa is not that good, but I wouldn't count on a Brad Underwood team.

Illinois will probably be able to do whatever they want but will settle for 3s.

Coaches/teams go dumb against Iowa because they hold their arms out like a 7th grade team in 1994.
I don't think Underwood has had a team yet that fully lived up to its talent level. Gets the recruits, but underperforms with them.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30 and Die4Cy

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Hassell has been so confident talking about Iowa recently that he basically has me convinced that they're playing well enough to make a run. Thing is I haven't watched them play in a while. When I saw them against us and into January I really felt like they just weren't very good. Has something changed? From perusing box scores I can see that Dix has really been lighting it up. Has a switched flipped for him and he's transformed into a real difference maker or is he just hot? Is that it?
Yep. They hit the soft spot in their schedule, which is most of the B1G.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Cincinnati has a good coach and is probably an NCAA tournament caliber team this year. They won 2 road games in 2 of the toughest environments in college basketball in conference play but just weren't able to stack enough wins. Unfortunately, they also drew the toughest schedule in Big 12 play.

KState was cooking before Huddle Gate. 14-4 with two non-conference wins against the field. All the Tang distractions and the Tomlin situation really did them in.

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Doing what over an extended amount of time? What has he done? Made the tournament? That's not really that hard with the 68 team field. If you aren’t making the tournament more often than not at the high major level you are a bad coach. And he's got a 6-12 record in the tournament when he has made it and never made it out of the first weekend.

What has he won? One Big X tournament in 14 years? For a 14 year coaching career he's got very little in his trophy case.
Winning and getting to the post season. Iowa is one of the bottom programs in the Big Ten if you look at basketball history. Yet they have been winning and going to the postseason more than programs that really should be better than them. He took awhile to build them up after Lick but sense then he has stayed pretty steady despite not using the transfer portal like he probably should have or recruiting at a high level.

He has one of the longest active tournament streaks in the country. If he gets back there this year it is really be 6 straight years as they would have been in during Covid. Look at the last ten years since he first got them back to the tournament compared to other Big Ten schools. Only ones that are better than them are the obvious like Purdue, MSU, Wisconsin. Michigan (but even they are struggling the last two and have a horrible year this year) About the same as OSU and Maryland both superior basketball schools.. He has been better than Illinois, Indiana both superior basketball programs and better than the rest (Nebraska, Northwestern, Rutgers, Penn State, Minnesota).

The fact that he doesn't have a ton of support from the fan base doesn't say anything about his coaching. One of the only coaches too to take 4 different schools to the tournament. I think some are just blinded by their hatred of Iowa and won't admit the guy is a good coach.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That ball is one of the best basketballs out there honestly. It's just different than the Nike ball that they use and when they shot like crap they used it as an excuse.

Now, the Under Armour ball is trash. Can confirm that.

I've used that Wilson ball. I don't like it at all. But I suck so it doesn't have a huge effect on me.

I will say also though that this is one of the reasons I love TJ so much. No excuses. You'd never hear our guys complaining about the ball after a game IMO.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I've used that Wilson ball. I don't like it at all. But I suck so it doesn't have a huge effect on me.

I will say also though that this is one of the reasons I love TJ so much. No excuses. You'd never hear our guys complaining about the ball after a game IMO.
Yeah, I still remember Iowa complaining maybe 5-10 years ago about the decal on the court causing them a disadvantage in the NCAAs. Any excuse to deflect blame of them always being completely one dimensional.

I can only imagine what they'd do if the new airless basketball became the standard. Coincidentally, Wilson is a big supporter of it.

1709915918975.png

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Yeah, I still remember Iowa complaining maybe 5-10 years ago about the decal on the court causing them a disadvantage in the NCAAs. Any excuse to deflect blame of them always being completely one dimensional.

I can only imagine what they'd do if the new airless basketball became the standard. Coincidentally, Wilson is a big supporter of it.

View attachment 125154
Does Wilson know the eiu invented the color black? Expecting a lawsuit will be filed....

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Joke …both the post n that douche chad L
Sure hope the ILL fans bought a bunch of those tickets… love to see Sukeyes get trashed at home.
Not going to happen. Iowa will win and be all emotional and bug eyed afterwards. Then lose their first game of the BTT, get left out in the cold, and we hear nothing but wailing and gnashing of teeth about how robbed they were from the likes of Leistikow and their 247 nut job.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Totally disagree. Mediocre coaches aren't doing what he has done over an extended time. He may get them back to the tournament this year which would be a really good coaching job considering how they looked earlier in the year.
I don't know if I agree with this. He has gotten them to win more games perhaps than most thought they would, but the Big 10 is almost unfathomably down this year, too. I will be surprised if they have a team advance beyond the Sweet 16.