Heading into March Madness

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
How are you feeling? From a W/L perspective, we've been fantastic lately. But watching the games, the offense is concerning. After going up 11-2 today, we had a stretch where they outscored us 35-13. Road games are hard, but this was against an NIT team. I think any talk about us losing to a 14 or 15 seed is crazy, but if the offense doesn't improve I wouldn't at all be surprised if we lost to a 6 or 7 seed.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Bad offense finally caught up with us.

We need to do something different than “drive into the lane and throw up a circus shot” from an approach standpoint. 5 assists for an entire game isn’t it. Way too much hero ball.

But we should still be a 2 or 3 seed no matter what happens Thursday.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
The stats are in our favor to win 2 games in the big dance, but the third, with our offense…

Reactions: keepngoal

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
There certainly seems to be a lack of intensity. I don’t know if that’s due to the team being tired or if there’s something wrong. It’s a long season and it’s not a great sign to be losing intensity this time of year, but having games that matter starting next week may change how the team approaches games. Not going to overreact as the team has shown an ability to turn it on when they need to.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclones12321

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Losing to a 14 or 15 seed isn't crazy any more. A 1 losing to a 16 isn't even that crazy.

Who knows what kind of match up is out there and there's not much of a David/Goliath thing to the NCAA tourney over the last decade and this year won't be any different.

Anyway, ISU at times remind me of how they tended to look in the ESPN tourney like driving to the lane without much intent.

After that, the team seemed to operate like a point was made; perhaps it took those losses to drive the point home.

A few weeks ago when the offense was better, it seemed like the ball moved much better including hitting skip passes for good looks or making the defense have to respond in positioning.

Maybe defenses are showing looks that take that away and things get much more one-dimensional and there's more of a ceiling to adjust with, not as low as the two previous seasons but still there.

Maybe this one will be used as rebooting the message again.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Bad offense finally caught up with us.

We need to do something different than “drive into the lane and throw up a circus shot” from an approach standpoint. 5 assists for an entire game isn’t it. Way too much hero ball.

But we should still be a 2 or 3 seed no matter what happens Thursday.

Wow was it really only 5 total assists? That's absolutely horrifying.

Monte Morris would have 5 assists by himself at the half

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Same is it was in January and in February. They can make a run or be done after 1-2 games. Same as every other team in America. The tournament is such a crap shoot. Hell FAU was a couple of seconds away from losing in the first round last year and made the Final Four.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
A first weekend exit wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Bigger upsets have happened the last few years so it's not at all crazy to see the possibility of us losing on day 1. The offense is just not good. Tamin has looked better, which is really encouraging. C. Jones has been phenomenal. Watson has been fun to see come around. Milan has been, well.... yeah. Keshon needs to get back to the late January and February version.

Match ups are everything so if we get the right match up... finesse teams that we can physically bully and just stuff in a locker, a Sweet 16 is achievable. I think an Elite 8 is very, very unlikely. And a Final 4 is just wishful thinking.

What the eyes are telling me right now is we are a 1st round win in a game that is close for longer than it needs to be before we pull away for a 12-15 point W followed by a second round loss. The starters have got to come alive.

I'm glad Kansas is getting throttled because I would be sick if they'd won today after what we did.