2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

rickyrudd

Oct 10, 2010
. By rule we could call about 80 fouls a game and everyone would be dragging their walkons in to end the games.

Unrelated to the game tonight, this is exactly what should happen in men’s college basketball. The game would be so much better if the refs would call everything. It might make for some ugly games the first month or so until teams adjust, but eventually all of the clutching, grabbing, and mugging would stop and college basketball would be a much better product.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I did. Textbook foul.

Did you happen to look at the next play right after that foul frame by frame yet?

Iowa inbounding the ball at the other end. Nobody was getting open, so CC gave a full two handed shove off to the UConn player to free herself, and then they had to foul CC.

That was also a text book foul, as you like to say. Why wasn’t that one called? I can probably get you a still shot of it. It was bad.

Reactions: CyNews

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I just think that some of you take this way too seriously. I expressed my opinion. Some of you agree. Some of you don’t. Some of you “dumbed” my posts. That’s fine. We don’t have to agree. Life goes on. It’s a game. Frankly, I don’t care who won. I don’t like either team.

I really wasn’t for or against either team either. It is kind of weird given I’m usually full in with everybody here.

How is this question… Would you agree that screen is typically not called in that moment? I would think everyone can agree it usually is not in that moment. (Not saying it’s right or wrong, they usually just don’t end games on iffy illegal screen calls)

Reactions: CyNews

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Did you happen to look at the next play right after that foul frame by frame yet?

Iowa inbounding the ball at the other end. Nobody was getting open, so CC gave a full two handed shove off to the UConn player to free herself, and then they had to foul CC.

That was also a text book foul, as you like to say. Why wasn’t that one called? I can probably get you a still shot of it. It was bad.
No, but if that happened, it should have been called. Refs miss calls like that all the time. They anticipate that the defense is going to foul and miss the offense fouling or committing another violation.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
No, but if that happened, it should have been called. Refs miss calls like that all the time. They anticipate that the defense is going to foul and miss the offense fouling or committing another violation.
The anticipation part is 100% and hard to get rid of. Refs shouldn’t anticipate the defense fouling, especially when the offense drives into the lane, but it’s hard not to. What would help is if officials were allowed to watch a play through and then pause to make sure they saw what they saw before calling it. Unfortunately they can’t because in basketball if you don’t have a confident and immediate whistle, coaches and fans lose their ****. But it would be much better if they would take a second before determining the call.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I really wasn’t for or against either team either. It is kind of weird given I’m usually full in with everybody here.

How is this question… Would you agree that screen is typically not called in that moment? I would think everyone can agree it usually is not in that moment. (Not saying it’s right or wrong, they usually just don’t end games on iffy illegal screen calls)

Now you’re lying. You were on here all game long wanting UConn to lose.

If you were a true Cyclone fan that lived in Iowa, you would NOT feel that way, trust me.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What about South Carolina?

I’m relatively new to the sport. I followed when i was at ISU from 97-01 and then past 3 years.

Has South Carolina made the Sweet 16 20 straight years? If so I’d always have a hard time pulling for that too or even understanding how a sport is set up like that.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
The anticipation part is 100% and hard to get rid of. Refs shouldn’t anticipate the defense fouling, especially when the offense drives into the lane, but it’s hard not to. What would help is if officials were allowed to watch a play through and then pause to make sure they saw what they saw before calling it. Unfortunately they can’t because in basketball if you don’t have a confident and immediate whistle, coaches and fans lose their ****. But it would be much better if they would take a second before determining the call.
I agree. One of the stupidest complaints by fans is “That was a late whistle” even when it was the right call.

• Winner
Reactions: jctisu

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Now you’re lying. You were on here all game long wanting UConn to lose.

If you were a true Cyclone fan that lived in Iowa, you would NOT feel that way, trust me.

I said 40-0 in the first two rounds is gross and a sign of a broken sport.

You read it as I’m some massive Iowa fan. Most of my family in Iowa are Hawkeye fans so I’ve always been kind of measured in the rivalry even when I lived in Iowa and attended ISU.

Something like Tang, or the games we had stolen from us against KU I can go pure rage more easily and hope they all burn.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Nika Muhl played maybe the best defense I've seen on Clark this year. Definitely the hardest working while doing her best to not foul. Hats off to her for an incredible effort.

They would‘ve lost with a “B” from supporting cast because of it but got an A or an A-.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I’m relatively new to the sport. I followed when i was at ISU from 97-01 and then past 3 years.

Has South Carolina made the Sweet 16 20 straight years? If so I’d always have a hard time pulling for that too or even understanding how a sport is set up like that.
I responded to another poster that indicated that they would never cheer for U Conn or LSU. I inquired if they could ever cheer for South Carolina.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I responded to another poster that indicated that they would never cheer for U Conn or LSU. I inquired if they could ever cheer for South Carolina.

I’m saying probably not if they SC had the same absurd win % as UCONN In wbb.

I genuinely don’t know. Has South Carolina dominated for decades like UConn or is it just 2-3 years and they sucked five years ago?

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
So you defend that “calls are missed all the time” but at the end of games “a foul is a foul”? You are saying the refs calling “a foul is a foul” on the screen and then saying the “defense is probably fouling” so the offense can do what it wants?

Reactions: n0av

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
Marshall was hunting that call, see how quickly she celebrated at the whistle?
You'd celebrate too if you knew you were getting the ball back in that situation.

It wasn't a clean screen. The question is, at what point do you swallow the whistle? Do you ignore the offensive fould if it frees a game winning shot? Do you ignore a defender blocking a potential shot but clearly fouling with the body?

The officiating was not great, all around. It's a ****** way for the game to end. Then again letting the players decide and allowing them to foul in those situations is ****** too.

Neither team would be South Carolina with that performance. The Gamecocks would have embarrassed the Hawkeyes with the amount of lazy passes Clark gave up, and the wide open looks she gave up by lazy defense.

• Winner
Reactions: swclone11