I'm going to the Masters

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Taking my dad on Saturday. Any tips or tricks from those who have been would be much appreciated. Questions I have:
1. Staying about 30 min outside of Augusta, what time should we plan on arriving?
2. Is there lock boxes to buy for personal belonging or should I leave everything in my car?
3. Does the pro shop run out of apparel?
4. Who should we follow?

I bought brand new ISU hat and polo that I'll be repping in hopes of some screen time for the brand.

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
What most people do is get there before the gates open, and they put their Masters chairs wherever they wanna be amen corner, 18 Green, etc. they do have boxes I don’t believe you have to pay for them. You will not be able to take your phone with you on the course on Saturday, phones are allowed on Wednesdays only when I went. I believe The pro shop is pretty stocked up on just about everything. I found the best place to camp out was near 10 green. It wasn’t as crowded as it is some of the other places and it was close to beer.. Have fun

Reactions: gocy444

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Taking my dad on Saturday. Any tips or tricks from those who have been would be much appreciated. Questions I have:
1. Staying about 30 min outside of Augusta, what time should we plan on arriving?
2. Is there lock boxes to buy for personal belonging or should I leave everything in my car?
4. Who should we follow?

I bought brand new ISU hat and polo that I'll be repping in hopes of some screen time for the brand.
Congrats. I went in 2009 so things may have changed but... You can buy stuff in the pro shop when you first get there and they will store it for you until you're ready to leave. They will also ship it home if you want. Not sure about your other questions but have fun.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I got to go to the Monday practice round in 2022, amazing experience.

Think we got there around 7:30-8. Only reason you would need to be there at/before they open is if you want a specific spot on the course or you're after the gnomes in the gift shop - most everything else should remain available throughout the day.

They do have a place to store your merchandise - might be a line, though, so sometimes easier to use a re-entry to put it in the car.

Feel free to sit in any open chairs anywhere on the course, just know you'll be expected to move if the chair's owners return. Eat/drink as much as possible - great food at even better prices.

August

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2018
Colorado
Some good suggestions in this thread.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
4. Who should we follow?

1. I think they say the gates open at 8am - be there at 6 or 6:30. Sometimes they open the gates early, but even if they don't, it's best to be at the front of the line.
2. Right next to the merchandise store is a check stand where you can store you purchases. I wouldn't bring personal belongings in unless you really need them. I brought a small back pack (had to be within the sizes allowed) and placed anything I might need in there - sunscreen, sunglasses, etc. - and carried that around with my bag chair. No phones or cameras allowed!
3. Might run out of the gnomes. Otherwise, you should be fine. If you are just looking for small stuff, like hats, shirts, balls, tee, ball markers, etc. you might want to skip the merchandise store and just go to the concession stands out on the course. However, the merchandise store is an experience unto itself, so I have a hard time telling a newbie to skip it.
4. I would follow the course. Seriously, pick 5-6 spots you would like to see of the course and just sit/stand there for a while watching the groups play. To me, the course was the real show and seeing the players was icing on the cake. Some of my favorites: 1st Tee, 6th Green, 12th Tee, 16th Green, 7th Green, and the 18th Tee.

Enjoy your day!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Several years ago I got to go to the Monday practice round. It was easily one of the best days of my life. Just incredible. But I’m a lifelong golf nut.

One big suggestion I’d have, if it looks like rain might be coming, and you haven’t gone to the golf shop yet, get there as fast as you can.

We saw the clouds on the horizon start to darken at about 4 pm and figured we’d head to the shop to beat any crowds, and while we were in there it started lightning in the distance and they called play for the day. On our way out of the shop, we noticed that due to the weather they were not allowing anyone else to go in. There were some upset people that finally got to go to the Masters and were not allowed to get any gear whatsoever. Felt horrible for them.

rrj98

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 18, 2008
Ames, IA
I took my Dad to the Friday round in 2015. You can read my recommondations in the thread referenced above. A couple of things that I didn't mention:
1. since it was my 3rd trip, I knew exatly where I wanted to sit. On the tee box of the 16th par 3. We could see both the approach shot & green play on 15 in addition to perfect view of 16.
2. When you 1st get there, find a spot where you want to sit (we took 2 chairs with us). Then go to the pro shop to buy your stuff & then either use the lockers that are provided or go back to your chairs & drop off your purchases. The lines for the lockers were too long for us so we just dropped off our stuff at our chairs. Evderything is on the honor system so no worries about people taking your spots or apparel.
3. Spend the morning walking the course & the afternoon sitting in your chairs. My Dad couldn't spend much more time than that walking but he got to see everything (including his favoriate Freddy Couples on the practice range & tee off at hole #1).
4. Merchandise & food/drink is cheaper than your local golf course.

JohnnyAl

May 12, 2010
4. Who should we follow?

I found behind the tee on 14 was a great spot. See shots come in from 13 green and tee on 14

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Get there no later than 7 am. Leave your phone on your car.

Have your chairs with you and walk as fast as possible......no running allowed (not kidding)

Chairs behind number 2 green aren't too bad. Chairs around 18 green in some form or fashion are a great location.

After setting your chairs, go to the retail center and buy your goods and have them shipped back. They are set up for this.

Walk the entire course.

It is fun to see guys introduced on number 1 and their tee shots. Very difficult opening hole.

Pick someone to follow for 4-5 holes.

Sit in the grandstands beside behind 15 green or stand to the side of the green. If standing, u can also watch action on 16.

Watch drives from behind 18 tee.

Sit in your chairs.

Eat copius amounts of pimento cheese and egg salad sandwiches.

Start over with the above process.

Enjoy

Reactions: RedlineSi

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
It's hard to do it wrong. I would hit the merch store early. Other than that, just wander around.

Maybe plan a place to meet if you get separated. I lost my buddies and didn't see them again the rest of the day!

• Haha
Reactions: Tailg8er

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Congratulations, had a buddy finally get that opportunity last year and I had him buy me a bunch of memorabilia

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
4. Who should we follow?

Buy John Daly a drink and hang with him. Probably won’t make the cut so he probably won’t be pressed for anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 1100011CS

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Buy John Daly a drink and hang with him. Probably won’t make the cut so he probably won’t be pressed for anything.
In the past, he has been at the Hooter's location and, yes, u could have a drink with him.

Reactions: NWICY

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Get there no later than 7 am. Leave your phone on your car.

Have your chairs with you and walk as fast as possible......no running allowed (not kidding)

Chairs behind number 2 green aren't too bad. Chairs around 18 green in some form or fashion are a great location.

After setting your chairs, go to the retail center and buy your goods and have them shipped back. They are set up for this.

Walk the entire course.

It is fun to see guys introduced on number 1 and their tee shots. Very difficult opening hole.

Pick someone to follow for 4-5 holes.

Sit in the grandstands beside behind 15 green or stand to the side of the green. If standing, u can also watch action on 16.

Watch drives from behind 18 tee.

Sit in your chairs.

Eat copius amounts of pimento cheese and egg salad sandwiches.

Start over with the above process.

Enjoy
Now there's a man that knows his way around the G spot.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In the past, he has been at the Hooter's location and, yes, u could have a drink with him.
Dude is hilarious. Generally he seems to be hanging with Kid Rock lately so while it may be fun to hang with them, you will never remember the night most likely.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
When I was there, you could walk around to the front entrance into the Masters and get your picture taken on that mound with the flowers in the shape of the U.S. (see picture below). No charge for it (of course). Not sure if they still do that or not? But that's worthwhile if the line isn't too long.

1712709497537.png

I will also say... walking the course could take it's toll on some people if you're not in the best shape. It wasn't an issue for me, but it was a bit for one of the guys. This course is WAY more hilly than it looks on TV. The #5 fairway, I'm pretty sure it was... has a crazy slope from one side of the fairway to the other, and a HUGE fairway bunker. And walking up 18 is literally a hike.

Like I said before though... after my wedding day and the birth of my two children, this might have been the most enjoyable day of my life. It's everything you could imagine it being and more. The golf shop alone is UNREAL. Just soak it all in and enjoy. I keep trying every single year to get tickets and win the lottery.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron