Worst city in Iowa?

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
My wife’s son lives in a nice area of Cedar Rapids. Somebody opened his garage door in the middle of the night,and took his car. No walk in door from the outside. And could have opened a door and walked into their house. The cops were like no big deal.

• Wow
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Travel the rural Midwest anywhere south and east of Iowa, and you’ll quit whining about Iowa. Southern Illinois/Indiana, almost all of Missouri, eastern Oklahoma, pockets of Kansas, just far worse than anywhere here.
I'll see you on all of those and raise you southeast Ohio.

Jeff_92

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 15, 2021
Very true. But my observations in those regions and Iowa is that those places had a head start. A lot of the other rural areas outside of Iowa decayed 30 years ago. Iowa’s have had a later and slower decline. Most of Iowas small towns are significantly worse than they were 20-30 years ago. Other than a handful of exceptions like Decorah and those with bedroom community locations small towns in Iowa are going to keep declining. It’s just really hard to maintain a small town once the schools are gone.
Having grown up in Iowa during the '80's farm crisis, I disagree. Many of these towns were ready to dry up and blow away. I am very surprised at the renewal. My up close example is the Hwy 20 corridor of Independence, Manchester, and Dyersville. They all have more to offer than 20 years ago. Housing prices in all these communities reflect this as well. The small industries that have grown up in these communities is significant. I am shocked to be honest. I am more optimistic on these type of communities than ever before.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have a couple of friends that married into Pella. They complain that I get waited on first in the stores because I am blonde. I am not Dutch to my knowledge.

• Love
Reactions: Kinch

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Dyersville?

Parkersburg?

Grinnell?

Sioux Center?
I lived there as a young single guy at my first teaching job. An incredibly close knit community which can be very judgmental and exclusive. On top of that, there's a damned snowmobile route through the center of town and the neighborhoods. Idiots going on poker runs gunning it up and down the street all night. It was a nice cheap place to live, but I don't think I'll be raising my family there.

• Informative
Reactions: Kinch

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
A principal in our town went to central college and as a prank at midnight took a push mower and mowed a section of tulips in a businessman’s yard. It created quite a scandal. It was found out that the culprit was a Central College student. The Pella mayor demanded the college expel him, which they did. That’s why he was a William Penn graduate.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I hate these threads, because there are professionals actively working (and devoting their lives) to improve the situations in these cities/towns, only to be undermined by dumb twitter polls, memes like this, and summer radio segments on "crap towns" on local radio.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
CR seems to have almost oddly improved in some ways since the flood. The Newbo area and a few other pockets are nice. Older parts look worse though and since the derecho some parts look like new suburbs just with older houses.
I grew up around there and when I officially lived there for a full year after college in the mid-2000s I actually kinda hated going out.

It felt like one big small town and there just seemed to be some weird vibe in the air like someone was going to get in a fight over some high school drama from 10+ years prior.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Having grown up in Iowa during the '80's farm crisis, I disagree. Many of these towns were ready to dry up and blow away. I am very surprised at the renewal. My up close example is the Hwy 20 corridor of Independence, Manchester, and Dyersville. They all have more to offer than 20 years ago. Housing prices in all these communities reflect this as well. The small industries that have grown up in these communities is significant. I am shocked to be honest. I am more optimistic on these type of communities than ever before.
True - there are places that were on the edge during that time, and that was a big hit followed by a rebound, but most are slowly declining since that rebound.

But that's a good observation - I think those Highway 20 towns have held up very well, esp. Dyersville and Manchester. I would say Independence stabilized after the farm crisis and has changed, but it hasn't really grown much since stabilizing in terms of population.

The general trend in the non-urban areas in Iowa were pretty broadly big decline in population in the 80s, stabilization, then mostly stagnant population growth, slight decline. Which in itself would not be as big a deal for these towns if it was not combined with that population being older.

What I mostly have in mind are towns that I remember having a school, and as a result activity and businesses that fed off the fact that there were families and a major employer in town, but no longer have that school. The other thing is noticing the size of towns in terms of population that don't have a school anymore. A lot of the towns in NW Iowa that I grew up around are of relatively similar size in total population as they were 20-30 years ago, but the school class sizes are maybe 50-60% of what they were.

But I think some of the smaller towns like the Hwy 20 cluster you mention can see some of that growth from people from rural parts that don't want to live in one of the larger metros.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
A principal in our town went to central college and as a prank at midnight took a push mower and mowed a section of tulips in a businessman’s yard. It created quite a scandal. It was found out that the culprit was a Central College student. The Pella mayor demanded the college expel him, which they did. That’s why he was a William Penn graduate.
As a former Central student myself, I know better than to mess with Pella’s tulips. That’s serious business.

Also thought the Central-William Penn beef they used to have (at least before WP left the conference to go NAIA) was pretty funny (particularly when my brother ended up going to William Penn). On the other hand, Pella just seems to have beef with every other town around (Oskaloosa and Knoxville for sure) - maybe that says something about you when you’re the one complaining about everybody else.

Reactions: 12191987 and Kinch

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
CR seems to have almost oddly improved in some ways since the flood. The Newbo area and a few other pockets are nice. Older parts look worse though and since the derecho some parts look like new suburbs just with older houses.
I grew up around there and when I officially lived there for a full year after college in the mid-2000s I actually kinda hated going out.

It felt like one big small town and there just seemed to be some weird vibe in the air like someone was going to get in a fight over some high school drama from 10+ years prior.

THIS! CR has an odd feel when in an older neighborhood that no longer has trees...

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Travel the rural Midwest anywhere south and east of Iowa, and you’ll quit whining about Iowa. Southern Illinois/Indiana, almost all of Missouri, eastern Oklahoma, pockets of Kansas, just far worse than anywhere here.

Southern Missouri/Northern Arkansas is one of my favorite places to be. Some of those small towns are pretty nice little towns. If you know where to look. But, yeah, most of the towns are sketchy.

Instead of eastern Oklahoma, you should just say "Oklahoma".

Help Support Us

Become a patron