Financial Aid Advice

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Depends on your schedule.

My calc 1 was a small section led by a grad student but it met MTWF 5-6pm.
My calc 2 was a 200-person section with a prof MWF with recitation 1 day a week.
My calc 3 was about 100 students with a prof in the Marston auditorium.
Diffy Q felt like roughly 40 students.

Did you never take chem or physics? Those were always huge sections
I am so old I took Calc 1 and 2 on quarters and we had class five days a week. Some were lecture hall with prof, some recitation with a grad student. I do remember Friday was recitation, I think another day was too. We had a quiz every Friday and the last question was 60% so I always started on that. I passed out during recitation after donating blood in the Union. Very humiliating. The grad student was super nice about it all.

Reactions: 8bitnes

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I think where the discussion gets confusing is no one is saying everyone should go to a 4 year university. But, at the same time, a person shouldn't have to choose between over $100,000 in student loans and a 4 year degree. Just like some people aren't made for college, some people aren't made for careers that don't require traditional college.
Used to run an e-Mentoring Program at one of my previous places where we engaged HS students via email in 7 weeks (e-mails are specifically assigned per week based on topics such as how you decided your majors, why you chose the field, how did you end up there, key for success in the workplace etc and emails are read by the teacher too).

One guy got into trouble from the parents because he suggested that the student can always consider going to trade schools if he doesn’t really want going to college. Trade schools can help preparing for good career and good living. Oh boy, the parents went ballistic and reported to the teacher that this guy provided horrible advice

Last edited:

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Used to run an e-Mentoring Program at one of my previous places where we engaged HS students via email in 7 weeks (e-mails are specifically assigned per week based on topics such as how you decided your majors, why you chose the field, how did you end up there, key for success in the workplace etc and emails are read by the teacher too).

One guy got into trouble from the parents because he suggested that the student can always consider going to trade schools if he doesn’t really want going to college. Trade schools can help preparing for good career and good living. Oh boy, the parents went ballistic and reported to the teacher that this guy provided horrible advice
Having built a house and paid the bills for each trade (rather than single bill from GC), I'd wouldn't hesitate backing any of my kids deciding to pursue a trade education. They can pretty much name their price once they prove quality work. Rural Iowa needs another generation of skilled craftsman.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

It is sad how much the trades get beat on. Many of them will provide extremely good income and job security once you get through your apprenticeship. The schooling and apprenticeship isn't really any longer than a typical bachelors degree. I know several plumbers/HVAC/electricians that are well over 6 six figures just a year to two into their self-employment and only 5-7 years out of their trade school. They don't really have to worry about being fired if they have any competence at all since there is such a shortage in their field.

I guess they don't get to take all the humanities and electives that the bachelors require, so they won't be considered "well-rounded". Although, if you look at the current college students, most are just pulling double majors or extra minors (colleges even push this and coordinate for the students) so they aren't taking those classes that are supposed to make them well-rounded.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Having built a house and paid the bills for each trade (rather than single bill from GC), I'd wouldn't hesitate backing any of my kids deciding to pursue a trade education. They can pretty much name their price once they prove quality work. Rural Iowa needs another generation of skilled craftsman.
Yup. Although I am not in a trade profession, I can appreciate the profession. I told the students: IT, HR, finance and accounting jobs can be outsourced abroad but no one can call a service center in India or Philippines or Slovakia saying “I need help to install my sump pump / garbage disposal” or “I need help with my electrical problems”.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: nhclone and BCClone

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Oh, thank you SO much. (And a serious, heart-felt thank you to everyone!)

We have orientation the second week of June. I'm looking forward to a small trip and seeing the campus. Anxious to talk with financial aid when we're there.

We completed FAFSA in early January. Still haven't heard...
Have you logged in and checked recently?

Remember to log in to your child's account and your account - they are separate. I logged in last weekend and discovered we were missing an electronic signature on the parent side. I took care of it, and the next day it was approved.

We submitted our original application in February; it was reviewed in March.

Reactions: Joe4Cy

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
It is sad how much the trades get beat on. Many of them will provide extremely good income and job security once you get through your apprenticeship. The schooling and apprenticeship isn't really any longer than a typical bachelors degree. I know several plumbers/HVAC/electricians that are well over 6 six figures just a year to two into their self-employment and only 5-7 years out of their trade school. They don't really have to worry about being fired if they have any competence at all since there is such a shortage in their field.

I guess they don't get to take all the humanities and electives that the bachelors require, so they won't be considered "well-rounded". Although, if you look at the current college students, most are just pulling double majors or extra minors (colleges even push this and coordinate for the students) so they aren't taking those classes that are supposed to make them well-rounded.
I'll agree that the trades used to get a bad rap. Maybe it's just the company I keep, but I feel like that attitude has shifted in the other direction HARD. I can't tell you how much love given to the plumbers, HVAC, electricians I know (not to mention what they are able to charge!). Contrast that with the hate when things like loan forgiveness or lowering the cost of education are brought up. I have a daughter in Med school and instead of being proud of her, most of my extended family just shake their heads about the length and cost of her education. This country is going to really hate it if all of the doctors, lawyers, IT professionals, engineers, etc. decide to become plumbers or electricians.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'll agree that the trades used to get a bad rap. Maybe it's just the company I keep, but I feel like that attitude has shifted in the other direction HARD. I can't tell you how much love given to the plumbers, HVAC, electricians I know (not to mention what they are able to charge!). Contrast that with the hate when things like loan forgiveness or lowering the cost of education are brought up. I have a daughter in Med school and instead of being proud of her, most of my extended family just shake their heads about the length and cost of her education. This country is going to really hate it if all of the doctors, lawyers, IT professionals, engineers, etc. decide to become plumbers or electricians.
This times a million. The college kids are looked down upon around here. Lots of pushing trades. We wind up with kids doing neither.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yep. It's great seeing a major shift in perspectives and trade education/professions starting to get the respect it deserves. But I've noticed much of the time the complements and support come along with a backhanded shot at four-year university education.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In my area of NC Iowa it’s looked at as something for the kids who aren’t quite as gifted still. Probably because the number of college grads are lighter. It’s unfortunate because you still have to be bright to pass the required testing.

Guessing it’s also related to many of the self employed are farming families and your typical 9-5 job pairs better with farming.

The one that does get love is windmill trades. A lot of that around here and it pays VERY well.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My barber charges $15 and it’s 10 minutes each person. Not a bad side income.
Husband’s barber died from Covid and rather than drive 25 miles or go to a “stylist,” he cuts his own. Has me help with the back part. Takes all of five minutes. He tosses his hair out in the back yard. First time I saw it, I thought some gray animal must have met a horrible death and was blaming the stray cats or the fox that hangs back there.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Husband’s barber died from Covid and rather than drive 25 miles or go to a “stylist,” he cuts his own. Has me help with the back part. Takes all of five minutes. He tosses his hair out in the back yard. First time I saw it, I thought some gray animal must have met a horrible death and was blaming the stray cats or the fox that hangs back there.
Supposed to keep animals out of your garden.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Hard agree on this. Even in this thread. Like I said before, just like not everyone is made out for college, not everyone is made out for the trades. I literally do not have the brain or the skills to be a plumber or carpenter or welder.

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
All good, everyone! I appreciate the insights and ideas!

On the thought of trade school, whenever I talk to my students, I always say something like "whether your next plan is college, a trade school, military, or a job. ..." I work hard to encourage them to have a plan and make their life their own. In one-on-one conversations, I encourage them with whatever their choices are. College isn't for everyone, and, as it's been said, we need plumbers, electricians, as well as doctors and lawyers.

Reactions: 1100011CS

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
#2 took a year after high school to work and save money and was able to bank the first two years before starting ...

I think this approach makes a ton of sense, but beware of university scholarships that require enrolling in the fall after HS graduation.

H

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Got an email today to go into FAFSA and correct my errors and sign. Go in and everything already has green check marks.

Great system! Good job!

Reactions: NWICY