Nostalgia - Childhood Toys

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I thought I did some stupid things but BB gun fights were never a part of it. My brother did shoot me in the ass once and damn it hurt.

We did do bottle rocket fights on the Fourth of July. We made our own hand held launchers and had 2 teams. You’re hit you’re out. I’m actually surprised no one lost an eye now that I think of it.
There were a lot of things we did back then that it's really kind of surprising more of us didn't lose body parts...

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
There were a lot of things we did back then that it's really kind of surprising more of us didn't lose body parts...
I just remember that Roman candles were an allowed weapon for these battles. Much more accurate and multiple shots. I remember getting hit by these balls of fire but never getting more than a minor burn. Damn. We did stupid Sh&t

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This cartoon had some bad ass toys:
il_fullxfull.4397100589_gpve.jpg

MASKheader.jpg

Reactions: mapnerd and arobb

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Can't believe I forgot to include. A general visual representation. HO scale.

00647_01-1.jpg

As with my farm toys, I have a bunch of train stuff in storage. Includes a version of this Santa Fe engine and an Illinois Central Gulf. And a plethora of neat-o box cars.

My present-day "life configuration" makes it unrealistic to have an actual set-up and display.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Can't believe I forgot to include. A general visual representation. HO scale.

View attachment 127933

As with my farm toys, I have a bunch of train stuff in storage. Includes a version of this Santa Fe engine and an Illinois Central Gulf. And a plethora of neat-o box cars.

My present-day "life configuration" makes it unrealistic to have an actual set-up and display.
You reminded me of this. The kid next door and his dad built a "giant" triple lane slot car track that took up half of their 2 car garage. Giant is in quotes because it probably was much smaller than I remember it to be!

Anyhoo, we spent hours racing in there. My car was similar to this - white with a low nose and a rear spoiler, and pipes behind the driver. I don't think it was this one, but this is as close as I can get to what I remember.

1713801215334.png

Reactions: cyclones500

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
My first memory of toys were Hot Wheels. I remember going to the KB Toys at the Sioux City mall as a kid. It was a luxury to go to the mall, hell to Sioux City (I know, but at the time it was our special place). Every precious time we went, I got to pick out a new hot wheel and eventually a micro machine.

I also went into the sports card shop at that mall every time and gushed over the Ryne Sandberg 1983 Topps rookie card. It was priced at $60 back then. Money we didn’t have to spend on things like that. I got it for a birthday or Christmas one year. I don’t remember when. Still my favorite present ever because I know how many years my Mom watched me look at that card and wished she could buy it for me. I’m sure the moment she finally bought it was a significant purchase for our family. I love her for that and so much more.

Anyway. I locked that card in my safe. It’s not worth much because eventually card grading became a thing and it would not grade well. But it’s worth a fortune to me.

• Friendly
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
@larrybob33 beat me to the punch on my first one. I swear the one we had was orange with the cycle, but also with some kind of space shuttle looking thing, too. I still remember the sound that crank made when you wound it as fast as you could.

1713803482470.png

Stretch Armstrong - we tested the stretchy limits until it finally stopped working correctly
1713803558474.png

The toy that every parent hated. Throw a sticky toy at a wall and it watch as is makes a sticky trailer all the way to the floor. Then, it got dusty and never worked quite the same no matter how many times you tried to wash it.
1713803966446.png

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
My first memory of toys were Hot Wheels. I remember going to the KB Toys at the Sioux City mall as a kid. It was a luxury to go to the mall, hell to Sioux City (I know, but at the time it was our special place). Every precious time we went, I got to pick out a new hot wheel and eventually a micro machine.

I also went into the sports card shop at that mall every time and gushed over the Ryne Sandberg 1983 Topps rookie card. It was priced at $60 back then. Money we didn’t have to spend on things like that. I got it for a birthday or Christmas one year. I don’t remember when. Still my favorite present ever because I know how many years my Mom watched me look at that card and wished she could buy it for me. I’m sure the moment she finally bought it was a significant purchase for our family. I love her for that and so much more.

Anyway. I locked that card in my safe. It’s not worth much because eventually card grading became a thing and it would not grade well. But it’s worth a fortune to me.
It's funny how malls rose and fell. The first big mall that I remember was built during my jr high years. It felt like it was an all-day destination trip back then but I just looked it up, and from Bellevue, WA (where I lived), the Southcenter Mall was only about 15 miles away in Tukwila (south Seattle metro). We would go once a year to do all of our Christmas shopping. It was super busy and everything was beautifully decorated and so exciting, even for a teenager. Crazy how most of that has disappeared into strip malls and online shopping.

Reactions: IsUaClone2

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Fuk yeah. All the cars and trucks from the 80s.

Nothing got me more fired up to play than commercials like this...

These remind me of Might Mo's and Tiny Mighty Mo's. I had the tank shown right near the beginning.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I had this set up as a kid. Then I cut the rear axle and removed the right dual to make it a real plowing tractor. Of course I lost the damned smoke stack almost immediately.
Play was serious business.

View attachment 127937
I never got a plow. :(

Had a disk, though. It had wheels that you could raise & lower, just like the real thing.

And what did I do? Lost the damned wheels. Not sure how it's possible to lose a key feature, but I did. :)

PS: Is that a 1466?

20eyes

May 15, 2020
We must be the same age... I never shut up about how bad-ass my Green Machine was. When both mom and dad's cars were out of the garage I'd ride that f*cker from the other end of the block to get up to speed, dive into the open garage, crank the levers, and do a wicked cookie on the smooth concrete. I'll never get a rush like that again.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
We must be the same age... I never shut up about how bad-ass my Green Machine was. When both mom and dad's cars were out of the garage I'd ride that f*cker from the other end of the block to get up to speed, dive into the open garage, crank the levers, and do a wicked cookie on the smooth concrete. I'll never get a rush like that again.
Yep. I had to share one with my brother, but it was a badass ride.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
It's funny how malls rose and fell. The first big mall that I remember was built during my jr high years. It felt like it was an all-day destination trip back then but I just looked it up, and from Bellevue, WA (where I lived), the Southcenter Mall was only about 15 miles away in Tukwila (south Seattle metro). We would go once a year to do all of our Christmas shopping. It was super busy and everything was beautifully decorated and so exciting, even for a teenager. Crazy how most of that has disappeared into strip malls and online shopping.
As much as I enjoy online shopping, I do miss mall culture. Especially at the holidays.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron