“Someone complemented you” text messages

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Has anybody been getting these text messages from numbers you don’t know saying “Someone complemented you!”? Also on the text message it wants you to download what seems to be an app. I get them every few days and just got 2 of them within a couple minutes- the area codes are from the United States the ones I just got one was from nw Alabama and the other was from western Washington. My wife has got a few of them too.
I just go in and block the caller and delete the text. Is there anything else I can do to prevent this? It has become super annoying.

I attached a screenshot of the actual texts I get-

Attachments

• 46E562C1-50EA-46B0-A307-07286545DBEF.png
    46E562C1-50EA-46B0-A307-07286545DBEF.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 58

RunninMan

Nov 18, 2013
Has anybody been getting these text messages from numbers you don’t know saying “Someone complemented you!”? Also on the text message it wants you to download what seems to be an app. I get them every few days and just got 2 of them within a couple minutes- the area codes are from the United States the ones I just got one was from nw Alabama and the other was from western Washington. My wife has got a few of them too.
I just go in and block the caller and delete the text. Is there anything else I can do to prevent this? It has become super annoying.

I attached a screenshot of the actual texts I get-
I've had 3 in the last week. I had just assumed it was an app that I downloaded that was spamming me but apparently not.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I figured it was just fans of my Chip N Dale work researching me to compliment me.
tenor.gif

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
its some new social media app, that when someone downloads their contacts into, everyone gets that text message. If you google it, its the name of the app, i just don't feel like taking the time to do it right now. Just delete and block. I guess you can respond or something and they will take you off the list, but i'm sure that just puts you on another list.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
its some new social media app, that when someone downloads their contacts into, everyone gets that text message. If you google it, its the name of the app, i just don't feel like taking the time to do it right now. Just delete and block. I guess you can respond or something and they will take you off the list, but i'm sure that just puts you on another list.
So short of changing my phone number this will probably be happening for a while?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How can I stop the phone calls from "Susie" who wants to help me with my credit card or student loan debt? These calls usually come from a pirated Ames mobile phone number. Often, I will click the "Can't answer now" automatic message reply and then sometimes get a reply from the real owner of the number asking "who is this?" Very annoying to both of us.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
How can I stop the phone calls from "Susie" who wants to help me with my credit card or student loan debt? These calls usually come from a pirated Ames mobile phone number. Often, I will click the "Can't answer now" automatic message reply and then sometimes get a reply from the real owner of the number asking "who is this?" Very annoying to both of us.

Tell them the person they are calling for died. I did that a couple times and they quit.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Tell them the person they are calling for died. I did that a couple times and they quit.

Really? I was afraid that I would be on their robo-call list forever, if I ever actually talked to someone in person. But maybe even scammers don't want to waste time trying to reach a dead person. I may try that next time I get a call.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Really? I was afraid that I would be on their robo-call list forever, if I ever actually talked to someone in person. But maybe even scammers don't want to waste time trying to reach a dead person. I may try that next time I get a call.

Yeah I just hung up for a long time, then got sick of it and told them the person was dead. I did it in a choked up voice for effect.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I ignore all that **** because I assume if I take any action they confirm its an active number and sell my number to other lists. I assume they just robocall random numbers till they get a real one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron