#12 Kansas @ #21 Baylor

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I'm not saying that it's a disservice to associate Drew with these two coaches, but it is a disservice to not lump Barnes and Smith in with (or even above) Kruger and Huggins. Bill Self's in a category unto himself at the top. Barnes and Smith have combined to take seven teams to the NCAA tournament and go 1,131-550 (.673). That winning percentage is identical to Hoiberg's, but sustaining it over multiple decades should get these guys a lot of credit.

However, I would venture to say that Barnes has higher rated classes year in and year out and mostly underachieves. Smith? Once he didn't have the Kentucky-type recruiting classes, he has been pretty underwhelming as well. I guess I'm viewing these coaches as to where they are now or maybe even the past 2 or 3 years. Kruger, Hoiberg, and Huggins are just able to do more with lesser rated recruiting classes.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
However, I would venture to say that Barnes has higher rated classes year in and year out and mostly underachieves. Smith? Once he didn't have the Kentucky-type recruiting classes, he has been pretty underwhelming as well. I guess I'm viewing these coaches as to where they are now or maybe even the past 2 or 3 years. Kruger, Hoiberg, and Huggins are just able to do more with lesser rated recruiting classes.

Sorry, I just really hate this argument. I don't care how talented a group of 18-year old kids are, they need coaching, too. And getting that talent in the first place is a huge part of a coach's job; sure, a program like UT or UK can "sell itself" in some ways, but it's not like those are the only highly-regarded programs competing for these kids.

76Jayhawk

Aug 11, 2013
Sorry, I just really hate this argument. I don't care how talented a group of 18-year old kids are, they need coaching, too. And getting that talent in the first place is a huge part of a coach's job; sure, a program like UT or UK can "sell itself" in some ways, but it's not like those are the only highly-regarded programs competing for these kids.

Recruiting is part of coaching and the program doesnt always help. In fact, I dont think it helps as much as people think it does. Look at UNC, or UK, or Indiana, or UCLA when they have had coaches that weren't great recruiters.