NFL: *** 1st round Draft Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
First round of the NFL draft is tonight. There seems to be a lot of buzz that Cleveland is going to take Trubisky with the number 1 pick.
Maybe it's a smokescreen but with Cleveland's history, probably not.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
First round of the NFL draft is tonight. There seems to be a lot of buzz that Cleveland is going to take Trubisky with the number 1 pick.
Maybe it's a smokescreen but with Cleveland's history, probably not.
Pick him #1 would be a totally Browns move. They'd be stupid to not pick Myles Garrett

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
hoping the Chiefs get Watson or Mahomes at #27. Time to groom a QB while Alex Smith is still functioning.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
Even with the Vikings not having a first round pick, I always look forward to the draft. It's a pretty interesting draft, not a ton of top-notch talent, but a lot of really good players deep into the draft.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I'll be pissed if the Cowboys pick an offensive player on day one. All needs are on defense. Would love to see the Chiefs pick up Deshaun Watson.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Even with the Vikings not having a first round pick, I always look forward to the draft. It's a pretty interesting draft, not a ton of top-notch talent, but a lot of really good players deep into the draft.
There isn't much for us Vikings fans to care about tonight. It will be interesting to see what they do Friday & Saturday.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Chiefs fan here. I don't want Watson. Grab someone else later. We need defense in the 1st. Either DT depth to replace Dontari Poe, Derrick Johnson replacement or second CB to pair with Marcus Peters.

Ideally Reuben Foster falls to KC and they take a flyer. Who cares about the diluted urine sample from the combine? Plenty of really talented guys dropped in the draft due to urine samples at the combine and they become huge steals for other teams.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Browns should trade down to 5 with the Jets. We all know the Jets will be bad next year. Cleveland can still land a really good player this year and possibly have the top pick next year.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Chiefs fan here. I don't want Watson. Grab someone else later. We need defense in the 1st. Either DT depth to replace Dontari Poe, Derrick Johnson replacement or second CB to pair with Marcus Peters.

Ideally Reuben Foster falls to KC and they take a flyer. Who cares about the diluted urine sample from the combine? Plenty of really talented guys dropped in the draft due to urine samples at the combine and they become huge steals for other teams.

I think Foster's dropped, but all the way to the Chiefs at #27 might be wishful thinking. I'll be surprised if he gets past the Colts at 15 or the Ravens at 16. He's a top five talent in this draft.

I think the power brokers in the first round are going to be the Browns and Titans. Any big trade in the first round is going to include one of those two. Tennessee's pick at #5 is in play for sure. I could see the Browns taking Garrett at #1 and moving up from #12 to #5 to jump in front of the Jets at #6 to get Trubisky.

I'll be curious to see if any team ignores the rape allegations and takes Gareon Conley. Before the accusation he was a projected first round pick. It's important to note that he hasn't been charged yet, so if he falls out of the first and he ends up being cleared someone is going to get a top player at a discount, kind of like Tunsil last year and Lael Collins the year before.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Didn't know what. He's still a freak athlete.

His measurables are great. He just doesn't play well against good competition. It could be an effort thing or something wrong with his technique. He's being compared to Julius Peppers but Peppers played much better against good competition.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Browns should trade down to 5 with the Jets. We all know the Jets will be bad next year. Cleveland can still land a really good player this year and possibly have the top pick next year.

I think with the depth of this draft a lot of teams are going to be looking at moving down the board. The problem will be finding willing trade partners. Draft picks are so valuable now that a team has to really love a player in order to part with a pick or two.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I think Foster's dropped, but all the way to the Chiefs at #27 might be wishful thinking. I'll be surprised if he gets past the Colts at 15 or the Ravens at 16. He's a top five talent in this draft.

I think the power brokers in the first round are going to be the Browns and Titans. Any big trade in the first round is going to include one of those two. Tennessee's pick at #5 is in play for sure. I could see the Browns taking Garrett at #1 and moving up from #12 to #5 to jump in front of the Jets at #6 to get Trubisky.

I'll be curious to see if any team ignores the rape allegations and takes Gareon Conley. Before the accusation he was a projected first round pick. It's important to note that he hasn't been charged yet, so if he falls out of the first and he ends up being cleared someone is going to get a top player at a discount, kind of like Tunsil last year and Lael Collins the year before.
I hope the Chiefs are more aggressive this year. Their window of success could be closing quickly. Time to make moves in the drat. We couldn't make moves in free agency because we have no cap space. Time to get good talent at and affordable price via the draft.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I think with the depth of this draft a lot of teams are going to be looking at moving down the board. The problem will be finding willing trade partners. Draft picks are so valuable now that a team has to really love a player in order to part with a pick or two.

Agree

No really elite talent at the top, but it is a deep draft. The Jets seem like a dysfunctional enough front office to give up a first and second plus next year's first to take Trubisky at 1. If the Browns get that offer, no way they turn it down right?

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I hope the Chiefs are more aggressive this year. Their window of success could be closing quickly. Time to make moves in the drat. We couldn't make moves in free agency because we have no cap space. Time to get good talent at and affordable price via the draft.

As a Chiefs fan who is not an Alex Smith hater, we need to upgrade the QB position to make any serious run at a title. I saw yesterday that there are like 5 people on the team who are over 30 and the Chiefs have 10 draft picks. If they really like Watson or another QB, they need to really make a move and get him.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
As a Chiefs fan who is not an Alex Smith hater, we need to upgrade the QB position to make any serious run at a title. I saw yesterday that there are like 5 people on the team who are over 30 and the Chiefs have 10 draft picks. If they really like Watson or another QB, they need to really make a move and get him.
The Ringer, Bill Simmons' website, has Watson, Trubisky and Mahomes all gone before the Chiefs pick.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013

I hate agreeing with you exactly.

• Winner
Reactions: Dandy

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016
I have two hopes for the draft tonight....

1. Two guys named Forest and Taco both get drafted
2. Packers take TJ Watt

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone