2011 All-American Results

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Congratulations to all four players; the team as a whole had a great year, and it is nice to see some members rewarded.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Great honor for those players. Great tribute to coach to have that many AA's again, and to keep doing it. Her recruiting is really starting to show.

I was kind of surprised by where some of the players fell in the list, and I don't want to take away from the good feeling on here. So, that can be discussed later.

As an aside- Bre Payton was named to the 2nd team, and after being MVC player of the year 3 times, I think she's the glue behind their big run of wins. She's the glue that held it togther. Just happy we don't have to play her anymore. That's a compliment.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
As an aside- Bre Payton was named to the 2nd team, and after being MVC player of the year 3 times, I think she's the glue behind their big run of wins. She's the glue that held it togther. Just happy we don't have to play her anymore. That's a compliment.

Do you think that we get some significant distance between the programs? I see us as a regular in the top ten and CJL clearly aiming for a regular shot at the final four. Does UNI stay in the top 20?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Considering she had alot of critics early in the season, everyone needs to be excited about the Landwehr selection. There were a few doubters early in the year.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Considering she had alot of critics early in the season, everyone needs to be excited about the Landwehr selection. There were a few doubters early in the year.

Yeah, she can only set as good as the passes are. Her serve is pretty good, and it is nice having a tall setter who can also block.

Considering some of our hitters are undersized, it makes it even tougher to set well. Some of the really tall girls can go get balls so to speak and bail out their setters. We didn't really have that luxury.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I like Allison as well. My personal feeling is that she and Carly should be switched. I think Carly did a lot to carry the team this year. But congrats to all the girls, well-deserved.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Yeah, she can only set as good as the passes are. Her serve is pretty good, and it is nice having a tall setter who can also block.

Considering some of our hitters are undersized, it makes it even tougher to set well. Some of the really tall girls can go get balls so to speak and bail out their setters. We didn't really have that luxury.
Yeah, I still think our most dynamic hitter was Pertersen. She was great at the slide and swat, and produced great angles on her hits. She just didn't seem to do the little things. Still sad to see her go. Hope Rachel rounds back into from for the coming season, adn we should be fine.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Alison is in elite company on the first team. No doubt her versatility helps her stand out. Plus her stats were great, and one could argue she never really had a bad match. She was pretty reliable every night. It might also be a recognition that Alison is an extension of CJL on the floor.

It's great to see Carly get recognized. She was the energizer bunny out there, just kept hitting and hitting. Given all the great hitters, it is an achievement to be 2nd team. Overall, ISU had some balance with different hitters stepping up throughout the season, so the odds may have been against Carly or Jamie getting higher awards.

It's extremely impressive for Hahn to be recognized. She played sparingly last year and in her first year of serious competition almost picked up where Mass left off as a senior. The media release points to the Waterloo/Texas player being the only freshman on the All America teams. But Hahn's accomplishment is not far off.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Congrats to all the girls & a big "thank you" for providing us with an exciting and fun season to watch. :yes:

Am looking forward to seeing where CJL takes us next year - hopefully at least as far!

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Do you think that we get some significant distance between the programs? I see us as a regular in the top ten and CJL clearly aiming for a regular shot at the final four. Does UNI stay in the top 20?

I don't know what UNI will be. Losing a player like that, that touches the ball on nearly every possesion would have to be big. I would think it would be analogous to a quarterback in football.

In watching the semifinals last night, there is something that all these elite teams have, a go-to kill player that can hit over the block. Some of these teams have more than one. The freshman from IL is going to be dominant at 6'6". We just haven't had many players at 6'2" plus that can jump, also. There aren't that many, I wouldn't think. Recruiting will probably be the thing that takes us to the next level.

It woud be a big goal to win our conference, given the team we have to beat to get it done.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I don't know what UNI will be. Losing a player like that, that touches the ball on nearly every possesion would have to be big. I would think it would be analogous to a quarterback in football.

In watching the semifinals last night, there is something that all these elite teams have, a go-to kill player that can hit over the block. Some of these teams have more than one. The freshman from IL is going to be dominant at 6'6". We just haven't had many players at 6'2" plus that can jump, also. There aren't that many, I wouldn't think. Recruiting will probably be the thing that takes us to the next level.

It woud be a big goal to win our conference, given the team we have to beat to get it done.

You know what's ironic -neither team in the finals won their conference this year :) Although I agree, I really hope we can beat Texas at least once in conference play next year.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO

There were a lot of doubters last year, me included. She obviously got comfortable and became a team leader. Replacing Manns last year was a tough act to follow, then she lost Hockaday as one of her outside hitters right at the start of the season. Manns was such a vocal leader during her time at setter, and Allison being the newbie was pretty much just trying to do her job and was not in a position to lead. With Hockaday going down, that left the upper class leadership in the hands of Henson and Maas. While both were All-American talents, they were not the vocal leaders like Manns. This year all the seniors stepped up along with Landwehr and Staube so the team was not lacking in leadership by any means. With Hockaday, Landwehr, and Staube coming all coming back along with Hahn who seems to just as good as Maas was and more vocal, I can't wait until next year.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I like Allison as well. My personal feeling is that she and Carly should be switched. I think Carly did a lot to carry the team this year. But congrats to all the girls, well-deserved.

Nothing against Landwehr but I was kind of surprised she was on the 1st team and Bre Payton was not. And I agree with you regarding Jenson who played both back and front row and had to be one of the most improved players in the country.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Nothing against Landwehr but I was kind of surprised she was on the 1st team and Bre Payton was not. And I agree with you regarding Jenson who played both back and front row and had to be one of the most improved players in the country.

I don't think it is a snub against Carly to not be first team. There are just a ton of talented outside hitters to compete with for those spots.

Help Support Us

Become a patron