2017 Cedar Rapids, Iowa City (+ Marion Iowa) Breweries

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Lion Bridge is the belle of this ball. Their chanterelle mushroom porter was absurdly good. I love how they make some really unique European influenced beers. Their straight up takes on European styles tend to be excellent as well (Disaster At Mieux). Clark Lewey has told me he thinks they're the best "to style" brewery in Iowa. Who am I to argue?

I like Big Grove a lot too. I've only been once, but I've had Arms Race a few times at shorts. Everything I've had from them is high quality. I agree that they'll blow the hell up in Iowa City, which just can't seem to maintain a quality brewery in the city proper.

I'm ok with Backpocket. I enjoy their maltier beers for what they are. It's nothing exciting, but they hit the spot in certain occasions.

I was at Iowa Brewing Company once and wasn't blown away, but there weren't any off flavors and they were just starting out too.

I haven't had any of the others, besides a Turner Alley pilsner at the Iowa Tap Room. I thought that was a good pils, FWIW. I've never heard anything good about Another Road.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
3rd Base is my favorite for the CR area

I like their Oatmeal Stout (though the name Black Cobra sucks). However the taste of the Oatmeal Stout is also terribly affected by tap lines that are kept too cold, or that frosty mug third base always serves.

Beyond the Oatmeal Stout and the various special brews they sometimes have, I rarely can stand to drink anything else there. However, I think ALL of their beers improved quite a lot when Travis took over the brewing there many years back. The current brew guy is also maintaining a consistent product.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Lion Bridge is the belle of this ball. Their chanterelle mushroom porter was absurdly good. I love how they make some really unique European influenced beers. Their straight up takes on European styles tend to be excellent as well (Disaster At Mieux). Clark Lewey has told me he thinks they're the best "to style" brewery in Iowa. Who am I to argue?

I like Big Grove a lot too. I've only been once, but I've had Arms Race a few times at shorts. Everything I've had from them is high quality. I agree that they'll blow the hell up in Iowa City, which just can't seem to maintain a quality brewery in the city proper.

I'm ok with Backpocket. I enjoy their maltier beers for what they are. It's nothing exciting, but they hit the spot in certain occasions.

I was at Iowa Brewing Company once and wasn't blown away, but there weren't any off flavors and they were just starting out too.

I haven't had any of the others, besides a Turner Alley pilsner at the Iowa Tap Room. I thought that was a good pils, FWIW. I've never heard anything good about Another Road.

Now I have a completely different opinion about Lion Bridge. I very much disliked their Chantrelle Mushroom Porter, their Disaster at Mieux, and the Workmen's Comp. ALL of these to me taste like they use moldy malts.

I've never been disappointed by Big Grove unless it be that the beer I want to try is no longer on tap, and the rest are beer styles that aren't my first pick.

Iowa Brewing... give them another chance. My first visit was a definite 'so what'. Now I am becoming a believer.

Believe it will take another road til summer to become fully accustomed to the new brewing system and the new place. Quite frankly, I think they expanded too fast.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Wife and I tried their new location last night. Previously, I liked their beers at their old location, however wasn't a fan of their setup. Their new location was a lot better and I liked how they had their beers with a bunch of other craft beers on tap. We both got their dunkel, which was "okay." They had two stouts, a porter, and an IPA of theirs on tap. In the past they seemed to have more diversity in their beers. So we were a little disappointed. I'd try them again and I like their location, however I'm no longer enthused about them.

I have absolutely no quarrels with your analysis. I hope you continue to visit them now and again, I bet they improve.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
All of the equipment from Turner Alley is being auctioned off (I think at one point I heard that most of the equipment had already been purchased, but I no longer think that is true). Auction is Thursday April 20 at 10:30 am. See Backes-Auction.com for details.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
The Backpocket experimental brewery in Cedar Rapids is open.
Mostly their usual product. But they do have two beers that were originally brewed by Stone City Brewery (Solon, Iowa from about 1997 until about 2003). These are John's White Ale (now brewed by Millstream) and the Ahhh Bock! (a limited re-release of this classic that is currently on tap there at Backpocket, and will on March 25 also be served at the Iowa Brewing Company)

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Backpocket's CR location has been pairing back their food menu. Though I haven't visited there often, it seems as if their beer menu has changed little as well. Far from the experimental brew place that they professed to be. Not sure what this means WRT to their viability, but I wasn't impressed on the last visit.

Quarterbarrel in CR is still soldiering on. I don't hate any of their beers, but their consistency and the price of their food is absolutely out of line.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Anyone tried ReUnion brewery in Coralville? I had one of their beers at the fair and thought it was pretty good.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Went to Clockhouse Brewing Saturday night. Pretty good beer and they have the appetizer menu from Black Sheep.

Their layout isn’t huge but they have some good TVs.

Would anyone be interested in an ISU game watch sometime there this winter for some basketball games?

Reactions: CRcyclone6

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Big Grove brews the best beer in the immediate area, no questions. They need to chill out on the price of their growler fills though. Would recommend BGB IPA for one of their beers that doesn't break the bank.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Did Another Road Brewery close down? They've been dark without cars all week on my drive home, however I didn't see any closed notifications on Google, Facebook, or their website.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I really like Iowa Brew because they have so many choices of beer, with a lot guest taps. The lack of any food is a huge issue with going there. I know there is usually a truck outside with something, but really? What do you do you do when it isn't summer?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I really like Iowa Brew because they have so many choices of beer, with a lot guest taps. The lack of any food is a huge issue with going there. I know there is usually a truck outside with something, but really? What do you do you do when it isn't summer?

That’s why I love Confluence. They just make beer. Theres not a bunch of 55 year olds in sweater vests eating giant pieces of molten chocolate cakes while I’m getting my bike and beer on. Plus if you’re hungry there are usually some pot brownies or power pot floating around that place.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
That’s why I love Confluence. They just make beer. Theres not a bunch of 55 year olds in sweater vests eating giant pieces of molten chocolate cakes while I’m getting my bike and beer on. Plus if you’re hungry there are usually some pot brownies or power pot floating around that place.

I'll be 60 in March.....

I really don't expect a lot. Burgers, heck they don't even have chips.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Did Another Road Brewery close down? They've been dark without cars all week on my drive home, however I didn't see any closed notifications on Google, Facebook, or their website.

Sad if true. Should have stayed in the apartment basement.

AgronoCy

Aug 25, 2017
I would encourage people to try Clock House Brewing in downtown CR which just opened in September. It's inside/attached to Black Sheep Social Club. On the corner 1st St and 6th Ave.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron