MLB: 2017 Minnesota Twins Thread

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Read this and you'll see why he got what he got.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...seminoles-minnesota-twins-bobby-bowden-020215

Mauer was a year ahead of me in high school. I got a home run ball he hit in a game by climbing onto the roof through the band room and he autographed it in the gym the day we had our school celebration. The other guy in the article, Tony Leseman, beaned me in the head during spring ball.

All players had to take care of the field themselves. There was a "grounds crew" but coach said if you want a nice field you need to maintain it. Hell, Mauer, as the best HS athlete in the country, even cleaned up the gym after basketball games.

In MN his contract was a given. If they didn't sign him the Twins might not have had a new stadium. Seriously. Imagine Allen Lazard as the sure-fire Heisman trophy winner and an NCAA basketball All-American - that's what Mauer meant to the state.
I've never been to a HS where they have a grounds crew

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Two games into the season and Sid Hartman's headline today is "Sano's Adjustments Paying Off". Then proclaiming him the hottest hitter in the AL. Sid, baby, he is 2 for 6. Not a bad start, better than 1-6 or 0-6 but it's two games, man. :rolleyes:

I think Sid's very first column was about Moses parting the Red Sea.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Really sucks that now we have pitchers that actually know how to get people out, and we can't score any runs. I don't hate Dozier, but it sure seems like he's trying to hit the ball to Pyongyang every time up.

Still, they're awfully young. Rosario, Kepler, Sano, Buxton, etc.....the future looks bright!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Really sucks that now we have pitchers that actually know how to get people out, and we can't score any runs. I don't hate Dozier, but it sure seems like he's trying to hit the ball to Pyongyang every time up.

Still, they're awfully young. Rosario, Kepler, Sano, Buxton, etc.....the future looks bright!
I'm running out of hope for Buxton already. Elite defender but he looks absolutely hopeless at the plate. It looks like an effort to be more patient, but he watches first pitch strikes way too much and gets in a hole. He's still very young, but if he struggles like this all year it's time to start worrying.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm running out of hope for Buxton already. Elite defender but he looks absolutely hopeless at the plate. It looks like an effort to be more patient, but he watches first pitch strikes way too much and gets in a hole. He's still very young, but if he struggles like this all year it's time to start worrying.

The frustrating part is he looked so damn good last September. I thought maybe something had clicked for him, but now he just looks lost again. I have a feeling it's all mental....I think Sano is finally figuring out that those low and away pitches are his kryptonite. It's time for some of these other guys to contribute, though.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

maybe he thinks because Mauer does it he can do it?!

unfortunately in baseball your defense doesn't matter if you strike out half the time.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

That 40% strikeout rate in almost 500 MLB at bats bugging you? :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Mauer Extra Bases Watch: None yet, had a single.

Buxton Strikeout Watch: Did not strike out tonight.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So.......after the glorious 5-1 start, our Twins are muddling along at 7-8 and looking more and more like the same song, second verse (same as the first). Santana looks very good - but is there anyone in the major leagues who gets less offensive production per salary dollar than Mauer? Boy, I really like Joe, he's a class act, but he sure seems to have lost it.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
So.......after the glorious 5-1 start, our Twins are muddling along at 7-8 and looking more and more like the same song, second verse (same as the first). Santana looks very good - but is there anyone in the major leagues who gets less offensive production per salary dollar than Mauer? Boy, I really like Joe, he's a class act, but he sure seems to have lost it.

I've been trying to hold out hope for Joe for a long time because I like him too. but, I'm starting to agree with you. We can't pay him that kind of money to hit singles and play 1B 5 times a week. Is it time to cut the line and use those dollars to get a couple bats? I think so.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I've been trying to hold out hope for Joe for a long time because I like him too. but, I'm starting to agree with you. We can't pay him that kind of money to hit singles and play 1B 5 times a week. Is it time to cut the line and use those dollars to get a couple bats? I think so.

Problem is, I assume his contract is guaranteed for a certain amount of time, so they might be stuck paying him for awhile yet. And I guarantee finding a trade partner, with his salary and production, will be impossible. :(

I don't know what happened to him. In the years 2006 to 2009 you could argue that he was the best hitter in baseball, and it seemed like he delivered in every clutch situation. No manager wanted to see him at the plate if the game was on the line. It's a real shame.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Buxton with a multi hit game. Maybe, just maybe...
And Santana being the top pitcher in the AL right now, how long will he go before he loses?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Hanging on around 500. If they can stay within 5-7 games of the division leader...always a slight chance to make a push.

However, as I said before, I would be happy if the Twins could hang around 500 this year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hanging on around 500. If they can stay within 5-7 games of the division leader...always a slight chance to make a push.

However, as I said before, I would be happy if the Twins could hang around 500 this year.

.500 would be a huge deal. I am pretty skeptical but the division is the weakest in the AL so that is going to help.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
.500 would be a huge deal. I am pretty skeptical but the division is the weakest in the AL so that is going to help.

Yeah agreed. Cleveland should be solid. White Sox and KC are kind of meh (sorry KC fans but I think the title contending roster door has closed. At least you got one while the iron was hot!), and Detroit will be a slightly above 500 team. Twins shouldn't lose the division by 30 games this year.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Yeah agreed. Cleveland should be solid. White Sox and KC are kind of meh (sorry KC fans but I think the title contending roster door has closed. At least you got one while the iron was hot!), and Detroit will be a slightly above 500 team. Twins shouldn't lose the division by 30 games this year.

I follow the Royals as my second team due to my location. Their offense is really anemic right now, but I'm still thinking they turn it around and end up (unfortunately) ahead of my Twins. I just think once a few players start clicking, they will get on a roll.

That being said, today they are three innings in and have 7 strikeouts. I hope they keep up this pace through the upcoming weekend.