2017 Non-con . . .

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
S. 2 - vs UNI
S. 9 - vs Iowa
S.16- at Akron

Thought perhaps someone here has followed these teams a bit and might be willing to provide an update on what to expect from them this fall.

This morning's Cedar Rapids Gazette carried a couple of stories on last night's ugheye spring game. I perused the stories only, but came away with the notion eiu has maybe serious QB and WR problems. I don't have a clue about what the O and D lines look like.

Know even less about UNI, and nothing about Akron.

We need to start the season fast if we hope to become bowl eligible; unlike last fall, the "easiest" portion of the schedule is likely the first seven games. And it looks like the eighth game will be iSu's homecoming.

If someone cares to comment, thanks much.

S 2 vs UNI
S 9 vs Iowa
S16 at Akron
S28 vs Texas (Thur)

O 7 at OU
O14 vs KU
O21 at TT
O28 vs TCU

N 4 at WVU
N11 vs OSU
N18 at BU
N25 at KSU

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Iowa's QBs did not look very impressive last night, and their WRs looked even worse IMO. But they will still be favored over us I'm sure.

KF said last night on the air that the spring game might be the only game this year that they will be favored in. Seriously KF? Nobody believes your BS buddy.

We had better come out of those 3 games at 2-1 at worst, and hopefully 3-0.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Iowa will have a good OL and DL, good LBers and a serviceable defensive backfield. Wadley (sp) is a very good running back, not a lot behind him. They will be hard to beat unless you force the QB to make plays and get TOs.

No idea what UNI has coming back, but they were not great last year by their standards, so I would expect them to be a little better, just because that is the norm. This is a game that ISU has to win, period. Last year the OL was a train wreck, and that was especially clear in the UNI and Iowa games. I don't look for it to be great this year, but it should be lightyear better than last year with only 1 start on the whole line. Manning really impressed me with what he did last year with what was essentially a bag of rocks.

Akron was 5-7 in the MAC last year, so they are a team that the Clone should and need to beat.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
S. 2 - vs UNI
S. 9 - vs Iowa
S.16- at Akron

Thought perhaps someone here has followed these teams a bit and might be willing to provide an update on what to expect from them this fall.

This morning's Cedar Rapids Gazette carried a couple of stories on last night's ugheye spring game. I perused the stories only, but came away with the notion eiu has maybe serious QB and WR problems. I don't have a clue about what the O and D lines look like.

Know even less about UNI, and nothing about Akron.

We need to start the season fast if we hope to become bowl eligible; unlike last fall, the "easiest" portion of the schedule is likely the first seven games. And it looks like the eighth game will be iSu's homecoming.

If someone cares to comment, thanks much.

S 2 vs UNI
S 9 vs Iowa
S16 at Akron
S28 vs Texas (Thur)

O 7 at OU
O14 vs KU
O21 at TT
O28 vs TCU

N 4 at WVU
N11 vs OSU
N18 at BU
N25 at KSU

Path to the bowl game in my head is 3 of the first 4, 2 of the second 4, and one of the last 4.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
UNI may have found a pocket passer in Dunne, he started the last few games of last year after the wheels fell off their season. Bailey that started against ISU last year was a RB playing QB. They also have some decent young WR's. Their OL wasn't very good last year and doesn't have much depth.

On defense, they lost the FCS defensive player of the year, DE Schult. Massive loss to the front 7. Good secondary. They played and came out on the short end of a lot of close games last year, 5 losses by 6 or less against one of the toughest schedules in FCS. They've also had a comical amount of coaching turnover. Farley may be coaching for his job this year.

• Informative
Reactions: CyValley

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
UNI- has some solid players returning from a below average team (UNI standards). I believe they return several starters, and they generally get some FBS transfers to come in and start right away. That said, I'd be very disappointed if we lost to them again, given what we have returning and coming in.

Iowa- very good RB, OL, and front 7 on defense. Huge question marks at QB and WR and a few smaller question marks in the secondary. I think we're more talented at QB, and out wide on offense and defense, but (as we generally do) we will likely be lesser in the trenches.

Akron- after a glance at the roster, this is definitely not going to be an easy road game. Though they went 5-7 last year, they return almost everything. QB, 2 leading rushers (including a guy who is 6'1 230 who started the first two games of 2016 at RB before injury), 4 full time starting OL, and several defenders including 1st team all MAC LB. Definitely more concerned after looking at their roster....

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
UNI- has some solid players returning from a below average team (UNI standards). I believe they return several starters, and they generally get some FBS transfers to come in and start right away. That said, I'd be very disappointed if we lost to them again, given what we have returning and coming in.

Iowa- very good RB, OL, and front 7 on defense. Huge question marks at QB and WR and a few smaller question marks in the secondary. I think we're more talented at QB, and out wide on offense and defense, but (as we generally do) we will likely be lesser in the trenches.

Akron- after a glance at the roster, this is definitely not going to be an easy road game. Though they went 5-7 last year, they return almost everything. QB, 2 leading rushers (including a guy who is 6'1 230 who started the first two games of 2016 at RB before injury), 4 full time starting OL, and several defenders including 1st team all MAC LB. Definitely more concerned after looking at their roster....

Be concerned. A team we should beat, but as talented as anyone in MAC. Consistency is their issue. They play to the level of their competition whether that team is good or bad. Beat them up early, game will be laugher. Let them hang around and their talent will overcome their lack of discipline.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
Iowa will be great at running the ball again this year but their passing game is a nightmare. Neither of their qbs look any good...maybe that's because they are learning a new offense but regardless, they aren't impressive at all...and neither are their WRs outside of VandeBerg.

On defense they are going to be very hard to run the ball on but they are vulnerable in the secondary with a lot of youth and little depth behind it. Our greatest concern here is stopping their pass rush, Anthony Nelson is really quick and AJ Epenesa will be getting snaps in 3rd down situations I'm sure. If we can keep our qb upright I like our chances.

As for Akron, they return a bunch of guys off of a mediocre team. This should be a win but I don't like playing early season road games against veteran teams. How the eff did we end up playing these guys on the road??!! Smh.

• Informative

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
UNI on offense will be better than last year but defensively prob not as good..

Iowa will be ripe for taking as its early and i think they could get upset by Wyoming in their opener. Wyoming returns stud QB and is just coming into their own with NDSU old coach. Iowa QB, whoever it is, might struggle early under KF jr offense. Make no mistake O'Keefe will be calling those plays mostly. A lot of TE use and a lot of same old dump passes out of backfield..Iowa might have some issues on the interior on the D line. They lost both starters I believe and their secondary im not sold on especially at safety. LB's are studs.

Key to beating Iowa, as usual, will be same story...limit turnovers...get ahead early and don't let them run 9 min off the clock every possession while scoring at the same time.

Akron..no clue.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Path to the bowl game in my head is 3 of the first 4, 2 of the second 4, and one of the last 4.

Agree, this looks like most realistic way to get to 6-6. Must defeat UNI, Akron, KU, TT or TCU, then nab 2 others somewhere. I'm not confident about at OU, at WVU, at BU or at KSU, so that's chalking-up 4 losses right there. At least Iowa, UT, TCU and OSU are at home, maybe that'll be an advantage for that one-third.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Be concerned. A team we should beat, but as talented as anyone in MAC. Consistency is their issue. They play to the level of their competition whether that team is good or bad. Beat them up early, game will be laugher. Let them hang around and their talent will overcome their lack of discipline.

We? As in ISU or Toledo?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I heard an interview with Gary Reima (sp?) - UNI play-by-play guy - a couple months ago, sounds like the UNI coaching staff lost a very large part of their group - maybe even like 2/3rds?

• Informative

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Iowa will have a good OL and DL, good LBers and a serviceable defensive backfield. Wadley (sp) is a very good running back, not a lot behind him. They will be hard to beat unless you force the QB to make plays and get TOs.

No idea what UNI has coming back, but they were not great last year by their standards, so I would expect them to be a little better, just because that is the norm. This is a game that ISU has to win, period. Last year the OL was a train wreck, and that was especially clear in the UNI and Iowa games. I don't look for it to be great this year, but it should be lightyear better than last year with only 1 start on the whole line. Manning really impressed me with what he did last year with what was essentially a bag of rocks.

Akron was 5-7 in the MAC last year, so they are a team that the Clone should and need to beat.
Wadley is pretty good, but they usually find other RB's that end up being good as well. Some of them start off as 4th string guys and come out of nowhere to surprise everyone.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I like having Texas in the 5th week...chance to get them before they figure it out for Herman.

None of the 3 non-con are gimmes but they rarely are for ISU no matter what ISU's abilities are.

A lot depends on how far along ISU is at the time...you'd think it would be better than last year where the first two weeks were a circus. Would love to see a sharp, tuned-in squad come out of the gates but it's not the first time I've hoped such things, and it usually is the exact opposite.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
UNI only returns two assistant coaches (TEs and DBs but he moved to coach RBs). They were replaced with older guys from tiny, unsuccessful programs (Tennessee-Martin, UT-Davis). Have no idea how its possible, but actually on our 3rd OC of the offseason. Everything I've heard does point to Farley coaching for his job this year, his act has worn pretty thin and having a new aggressive AD came at the worst time for him

Should be good defensively, Farley always is, but the offense will most likely be a train wreck. If Iowa State doesn't win this by at least a couple of scores, I'd have some real reservations about Matt Campbell going forward.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Our 31-7 win a few years back was probably one of the more rare UNI/ISU games I can remember.

They had no offense, and were atrocious on special teams. Our offense only had like 350 yards if I remember correctly, but had a short field all game.

That said, depending on what UNI finds for offense, we should win by a few scores. But we also "should" most years...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron