2020 CR area brewries.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
So the good news is that although most breweries in the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City areas have not been taken out by the "2020 CoronaVirus/Derecho/whatever else" pandemic, the bad news is that there have been some casualties.
1. Quarterbarrel. from what I've heard, is only open to scheduled parites. No off the street business, and they have no ability to can or bottle beer. Quite alright if you already relied on the beer produced elsewhere to float the business. (I'm sorry, but their beer is really marginal, and their food is worse).
2. Third Base Brewery: Arguably the damage caused by the derecho storm to their building was as much caused by the absentee landlord's neglect than the fees paid by Third Base to the building's owner. Yet here they are 10 weeks in to a shutdown caused by the building being so damaged by the storm that they cannot reopen. I hope they can do it though. Hopefully with much of the same staff as before (the only real reason besides the sometimes great specialty variations they brew, to go to Third Base.
3. Millstream (Amana- aka, Iowa's Oldest Brewery) has been purchased. The former owners (aka "Management team") are out of the picture. The former brewer and most of the support staff are still employed (at least as of this writing). Prospects are that the brewery will expand its offerings to items which are more readily accepted by the general public. Some items will even be canned (and not bottled). Excess brewing capacity (not a lot) will be devoted to contract brewing. Schild Brau along with most of their 'normal' lines will continue untouched. My personal prospects with respect to Millstream are that A) Schild Brau will acquire and maintain that intoxicating taste that I once could readily taste from the keg (but never from the bottle). B) That most of the recepies of their various lines will be revitalized to their previous tastes.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't recall 3rd base being all that great and seeming kind of dumpy...the spot on Blair's Ferry.

But that was over 10 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Pre-Covid, I went to Third Base a lot. Mostly due to proximity to my office. Didn’t even realize they were closed due to the derecho, but that makes sense. They should get a new location if possible

Millstream sucks ass and is terrible.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't recall 3rd base being all that great and seeming kind of dumpy...the spot on Blair's Ferry.

But that was over 10 years ago.

I didn't like Third Base Brewery at all during the time you speak of. I still find their five or so regular beers pretty average, But they do brew up some very interesting and usually very good special beers. Obviously not many this year however.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Pre-Covid, I went to Third Base a lot. Mostly due to proximity to my office. Didn’t even realize they were closed due to the derecho, but that makes sense. They should get a new location if possible

The only thing wrong with their location is that traffic may keep you from getting out of their parking lot quickly. Other than that, they do get a lot of "Collins" business.

Millstream sucks ass and is terrible.
Millstream beer, bottled with their old bottler (which is now long gone) sucked ass. Millstream beer from their "new" bottling machine is slightly improved, but still suffers from lack of shelf life, poor treatment from the distributors, etc. Millstream from a keg is usually very good. Their Schild Brau is a multiple gold medal award winning Vienna Lager. The management/ownership team is leaving. The new owners may make changes, but have agreed to keep most of the staff (this is a good thing). Time will tell if the new owners will be as penny pinching as the old owners, or will open things up a bit.

Millstream's 35th anniversary "Bock-inator" Dopple Bock is quite good!

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Millstream was cool/good for a long time...then got blown away by places like Big Grove or Single Speed! Just a stale business model as nothing seemed to change in terms of production of beer! Great when microbrews seemed like a niche...but they didn't evolve when the current leaders in the area arrived on the scene! Hope the new ownership of Millstream brings more imagination to their product as it is badly needed!

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I don't have much to add to this topic from my cushy chair in Ankeny, but Big Grove and Lion Bridge have been killing the game with their distributed releases this year. I'm jealous of the guys that are within easy distance of their taprooms.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Millstream was cool/good for a long time...then got blown away by places like Big Grove or Single Speed! Just a stale business model as nothing seemed to change in terms of production of beer! Great when microbrews seemed like a niche...but they didn't evolve when the current leaders in the area arrived on the scene! Hope the new ownership of Millstream brings more imagination to their product as it is badly needed!

I was never into Millstream but you’re absolutely right about BG and SS. They’ve been killing it with their new stuff over the past year.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
What everyone needs to understand is that Millstream was established primarily to supply an Amana brewed beer for consumption at the tourist oriented eating establishments within the Amana Colonies. For this function, in the beginning they concentrated ONLY on beers that were supportive of the German heritage narrative in Amana. Hence the Vienna Lager, Schild-Brau, the German Pilsner, and the Windmill Wheat. Anyhow, for a long time, their bottling machine negatively affected their bottled beer (which is the form that most people can access it in). I have never liked their beer in bottled form. In kegged form, it is much better. But it has always been a very honest beer sticking conservatively to the form of the basic beer styles the beer represents. So in this sense, yes, Big Grove and others have pushed the envelope away from typical conservative styles. But the reason Millstream is Iowa's oldest brewery is because they concentrate on "what butters their bread", which in this case, Amana Colonies tourism. Unfortunately for them, no Octoberfest there this year (which in a normal year, is a huge win for them). I believe they still brew John's Generations White Ale for John's Grocery in Iowa City (originally brewed in Solon at StoneCity Brewing, the first brewery to call Solon their home).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron