2020 NCAA Wrestling Championship at US Bank Stadium

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Did anyone else see this?

This is the Vikings' stadium. It holds over 66,000 for football.

Is this a good idea? Will you be able to see anything from the upper deck?

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how this would even look.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Did anyone else see this?

This is the Vikings' stadium. It holds over 66,000 for football.

Is this a good idea? Will you be able to see anything from the upper deck?

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how this would even look.

They just had it in a place with a capacity of 63,000 sooooo whats another 3,000 people?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Are you not aware of the type of stadiums it is usually in?

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
They just had it in a place with a capacity of 63,000 sooooo whats another 3,000 people?

Are you not aware of the type of stadiums it is usually in?

I'm talking about the NCAA Wrestling Championships. Probably should have added that in the title, but figured that since it was posted in the "Wrestling" forum most people would be able to follow.

So, it's another 40-45k, not another 3,000, from the last place they were held and I am aware of the type of arenas where it is usually held (typical capacity 20-25k).

But thanks guys for your constructive input. It's always nice when people don't trip over themselves trying to be thoughtful and kind in their replies.

Reactions: ZB4CY

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I'm talking about the NCAA Wrestling Championships. Probably should have added that in the title, but figured that since it was posted in the "Wrestling" forum most people would be able to follow.

So, it's another 40-45k, not another 3,000, from the last place they were held and I am aware of the type of arenas where it is usually held (typical capacity 20-25k).

But thanks guys for your constructive input. It's always nice when people don't trip over themselves trying to be thoughtful and kind in their replies.

Meh, I just don't pay attention very well

Reactions: BillyClone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yeah, like @Incyte alluded to, this is the norm now. The only thing that I think could make a difference in perception, etc. is the all glass walls on the far ends of the stadium. It would only be in your line of sight for a few shots from the right angles, but I would have to assume that has to take some getting used to.

But I am not complaining because I am not going to be playing, and I will certainly be purchasing a ticket:)

EDIT: I just saw this was for the wrestling championships, whoops. I will not be purchasing a ticket. Sorry.

• Dislike
Reactions: isukendall

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Would guess they do something with a curtain (does Iowa State still do this for home meets?) or portable bleachers ala Syracuse playing basketball in the Dome, which would give about the same amount of space for mats (plus some flexibility if they want to spread the mats out or add a couple in the earlier rounds).

Just replace the court with wrestling mats (as all wrestling fans dream of doing anyway):
14187819-mmmain.jpg

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I attended the Final Four this year, which was at University of Phoenix Stadium (where the Cardinals play football). Our seats weren't very good and we couldn't see much of anything. I can check it off the list of sporting events I wanted to attend at some point, but unless I had $1,000+ seats, I wouldn't do it again. Unless you had seats between the baselines and in the closer half of the lower level, I doubt anyone there had great views.

I've been to a few football games and never had a complaint about what I could/couldn't see. Those places definitely aren't made for basketball - I'm guessing the story will be the same for wrestling.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Sounds like it'll probably be set towards one end, with a capacity of 24,000 (give or take ).

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Well I don't have to worry about scalping tickets that year. Allows more room for announers. They won't have to worry about wrestlers falling into the tables. Will be interesting that is for sure

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Other future venues:

2019: Pittsburgh
2020: Minneapolis
2021: St. Louis
2022: Detroit

Never been to Pitt before but I've heard its a fun time. Pumped about Msp, obviously familiar with St.L.

Probably won't be going to the ******** that is Detroit.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Other future venues:

2019: Pittsburgh
2020: Minneapolis
2021: St. Louis
2022: Detroit

Never been to Pitt before but I've heard its a fun time. Pumped about Msp, obviously familiar with St.L.

Probably won't be going to the ******** that is Detroit.
Downtown Detroit where the new arena is being built is getting rejuvenated. Went there for a work trip and came away surprised. Much better than when I went to Nats in Auburn Hills!

Reactions: buf87

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Downtown Detroit where the new arena is being built is getting rejuvenated. Went there for a work trip and came away surprised. Much better than when I went to Nats in Auburn Hills!

Can verify that. Live in the area and I've seen several Tigers games at Comerica Park and a thing or two at the Fox Theater. Little Caesar's Arena is going in right there. Downtown Detroit is actually a very nice place now and getting nicer. Much of the rest of the city needs to be MOABed, but spare the new downtown.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Maybe USBank will use the Gjallarhorn sound after every title match, like STL did with their goal horn.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron