5 guys Burgers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So an LA guy, have you been to The Counter? I have only been to the one walking distance from Caltech and thought it was really good and pretty expensive. Still, while more expensive than Five Guys, I would say it is a better value because the food is better. And looking at those greasy fries bags at Five Guys makes me a little sick.

Yeah Counter is exactly what comes to mind. It's good but you walk out shaking your head at the bill every time not believing you paid that much for burgers.

The thing about LA is if it's happy hour a lot of LA joints are cheaper than anywhere. If it's not happy hour your wallet is going to take a beating. I'm not even talking about drinks, tons of places have amazing food deals from 3-6 or 3-7 but are ridiculously priced otherwise. I try to find places that offer happy hour on weekends. Counter has awesome food deals for happy hour.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
For the folks in the Cedar Rapids area that want to try a great burger, give Saucy Facacia a try. It's located in same building as Jimmy John's next to Hy-Vee at Edgewood and Blair's Ferry Rd. It blows five guys out of the park, and it's cheaper too.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
screen%20shot%202015-03-24%20at%202.23.46%20pm.png

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yeah Counter is exactly what comes to mind. It's good but you walk out shaking your head at the bill every time not believing you paid that much for burgers.

The thing about LA is if it's happy hour a lot of LA joints are cheaper than anywhere. If it's not happy hour your wallet is going to take a beating. I'm not even talking about drinks, tons of places have amazing food deals from 3-6 or 3-7 but are ridiculously priced otherwise. I try to find places that offer happy hour on weekends. Counter has awesome food deals for happy hour.

Same in OC. Found a dive joint in Tustin. Had a great meal and got liquored up for less than $20 during happy hour

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
For the folks in the Cedar Rapids area that want to try a great burger, give Saucy Facacia a try. It's located in same building as Jimmy John's next to Hy-Vee at Edgewood and Blair's Ferry Rd. It blows five guys out of the park, and it's cheaper too.

I'm not a fan of the liquid cheese, I needed a full body bib to eat that thing.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I am a huge fan of the double deluxe burger, but I agree with previous post their fries are below average. I liked it when they had sweet potato fries for a while.
When done right, crinkle can be delicious. People's in Ames used to have GREAT crinkle cut. Culver's just tastes like steamed fries.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just came back from the one by Jordan Creek. This was my second try and my last. They forgot the bacon and grilled onions. Fries not very crisp. Place was packed. The little cheeseburger was good, but I got the cajun fries and with them being a little soggy they just weren't good. I even tried malt vinegar on some plain ones and they were soggy. 5 guys need a couple more guys to get it right.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Be prepared to refinance your house if you go to 5 Guys. My family's experience will be a two in one, first and last. Four (4) regular single patty cheese burgers, one (1) double cheese burger with bacon, one (1) Oreo shake, one (1) large fry, one (1) pop/soda/Coke, three (3) waters for $45. The burgers were fine, not anything special, fries were mediocre, the shake was a shake, hard to screw up, the pop came out the fun 1000 option Coke machine, and the Cedar Rapids tap water was lovely.
So you paid the original DC prices?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Revisiting the thread.

Side-question: Who prefers thick patties vs. thin, or vice-versa? (I'm sure additional factors come into play, for overall burger).

When I'm making burgers at home I prefer thicker. I also make them pretty bloody, on a butter/grill toasted bun.

I never get fast food burgers as I don't find them at all satisfying. I can do B-Bop burgers every so often, or SmashBurger, because they have good flavor to go with the meat.

I havent' had a mcdonalds/hardees/burger king burger in probably 15 years.