Alert: A couple of notes about site performance, progress, etc.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Hey guys.

Just wanted to chime in with some good news.

Over the last two weeks, behind the scenes we have been tirelessly working on ways to improve the performance of our site. Because of this, we will be switching over to a new ad platform - hopefully this afternoon.

The goal: To make our site faster, more mobile friendly and to eliminate any/all issues that are currently caused by ads.

It's a tough world right out in the digital ad landscape. We have more traffic on CF than ever but are making less off of third-party ads than we did five years ago. We will get it figured out. No worries there.

But my top priority has always been to keep our doors open and provide a free site, but to keep CF running as smooth as possible. This change should take care of that.

Just wanted to know that site speed and all of that jazz is a top priority here and you should notice a huge difference in the coming days. Thanks for your patience.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Have you looked into the problem of not being able to log back in on a laptop after we attempted to fix it last time? Or will this help with that?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
For what it's worth over the last 2 weeks the mobile site has been way better for me compared to before, much more responsive and quicker to load.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
For what it's worth over the last 2 weeks the mobile site has been way better for me compared to before, much more responsive and quicker to load.

If you've noticed, there is only one ad on the mobile site these days. Had to get rid of them. We've been hemorrhaging money because of it but we had to make it usable.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cytasticlone

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

I agree, the performance has seemed better. But with every visit, it's only a matter of time before I get my free Samsung phone popup that scares me away from using the site on my phone.

Hopefully today's change will fix that!

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you've noticed, there is only one ad on the mobile site these days. Had to get rid of them. We've been hemorrhaging money because of it but we had to make it usable.
Are you guys against the idea of accepting money from users? I'm sure others feel the same way as I do that I'd throw some dollars in for the cause if it were between that and having to shut down the site. Not in a premium access kind of way, just a voluntary donation thing.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I agree, the performance has seemed better. But with every visit, it's only a matter of time before I get my free Samsung phone popup that scares me away from using the site on my phone.

Hopefully today's change will fix that!
Congrats on your free new Samsung phone! Lucky!

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Are you guys against the idea of accepting money from users? I'm sure others feel the same way as I do that I'd throw some dollars in for the cause if it were between that and having to shut down the site. Not in a premium access kind of way, just a voluntary donation thing.

Only if it removes ads for the donor.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
We havne't completely finished everything but a good chunk of the ad switchover is done. You all should be noticing some improvements when to comes to site performance.
Some of the issues are my internet is just slow, but it still is nearly unusable because the ads have trouble loading.

Edit: I will clarify it is the third party ads that are the issue. I don't know the business around the ads, but limiting the ads to just pictures I think would solve a lot of issues for me.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Much better. All my issues seemed solved.

I will reiterate that I would be willing to pay for an "ad-free" premium subscription for some amount. A number of other sites out there do something like that.

Same content and forum, just chip in some extra to avoid the ads.

I want you guys to be able to continue operating, too!

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Some of the issues are my internet is just slow, but it still is nearly unusable because the ads have trouble loading.

Edit: I will clarify it is the third party ads that are the issue. I don't know the business around the ads, but limiting the ads to just pictures I think would solve a lot of issues for me.

Read above. That's what we've been working on. Should be solved. We just did a major switchover.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Much better. All my issues seemed solved.

I will reiterate that I would be willing to pay for an "ad-free" premium subscription for some amount. A number of other sites out there do something like that.

Same content and forum, just chip in some extra to avoid the ads.

I want you guys to be able to continue operating, too!

Good to hear and thanks for the feedback.

We are working on an ad-free platform for those who want to go that route. Should have details in the next 2-3 weeks. My main goal was moving the ad server first to improve performance.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Read above. That's what we've been working on. Should be solved. We just did a major switchover.
I was saying it is still doing some of that today. For example right now there is a Best Buy ad that allows for you to scroll through different products. Earlier there was one that just didn't load.