Alert: A couple of notes about site performance, progress, etc.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've noticed it faster on my computer. Haven't tried on my phone since the spring game weekend. But thanks for the update and for caring. :)

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Most annoying problem is clicking on a topic and a full page lottery ad comes up and you have to back up start all over that and page refreshing randomly as you've written a post but not submitted and it erases it all

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Hey guys.

Just wanted to chime in with some good news.

Over the last two weeks, behind the scenes we have been tirelessly working on ways to improve the performance of our site. Because of this, we will be switching over to a new ad platform - hopefully this afternoon.

The goal: To make our site faster, more mobile friendly and to eliminate any/all issues that are currently caused by ads.

It's a tough world right out in the digital ad landscape. We have more traffic on CF than ever but are making less off of third-party ads than we did five years ago. We will get it figured out. No worries there.

But my top priority has always been to keep our doors open and provide a free site, but to keep CF running as smooth as possible. This change should take care of that.

Just wanted to know that site speed and all of that jazz is a top priority here and you should notice a huge difference in the coming days. Thanks for your patience.

This annoying, I have to click on 20+ times to make it go away. Happened today when I was reading this thread going to page 2.
upload_2017-4-21_16-42-23.png

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Turned off Ad-Blocker. A lot more colorful but seems to be running fine.

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
I am wondering why when I visit the mobile app (I am on the droid operating system) and drill down to the forums module, the only options are Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball (no football, etc...) Is this a glitch in the site or my phone/operating system?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
If you've noticed, there is only one ad on the mobile site these days. Had to get rid of them. We've been hemorrhaging money because of it but we had to make it usable.

So do you know what is causing the redirects on mobile given that there is only the one ad and presumably we're all getting different ones since it is based off of our individual cookies/history?

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
We are working on an ad-free platform for those who want to go that route. Should have details in the next 2-3 weeks. My main goal was moving the ad server first to improve performance.

I will gladly pay for an ad-free experience! I'm sorry, but anymore an ad-blocker is a must for me as ads ruin the layout of about any web page (and slows down page loads). Can't wait to see what the details are :)

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Have you thought about taking the ads inhouse?

Marco Armet did this with my podcast app of choice: https://overcast.fm/account/buy_ad

He then also sells a premium version of his app for $10 a year that removes ads and gives you some extra features.

Hosting the ads yourself allows you to control the content and own your user experience. Two very important things!

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
I use Podcast Republic on an Android phone (Galaxy s7 edge) and for the last two podcasts (Fawcast and one other one) the downloads failed repeatedly. This happened months ago too for all android users and I believe it got fixed right away, so I'm not sure if its the same problem this time or just my phone. Maybe someone else can chime in if its happening across all android users.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Mine really slowed today and I saw the page was trying to load unauthorized scripts again. Didn't really see a specific ad site.

tay2015

Aug 7, 2015
It's time to go to a 5 dollar a month subscription based model. It took me two minutes to type this on chrome on laptop, site is unusable on mobile iPhone safari.