Ames Ranked #1 in Another College Town Ranking

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Hooray! We love it in the city of Ames.

No mention of our delicious water may call for a boycott of some sort.

Also, where are all these homes for around $100K located?

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Hooray! We love it in the city of Ames.

No mention of our delicious water may call for a boycott of some sort.

Also, where are all these homes for around $100K located?

For all those thinking about leaving Iowa... just take this into consideration. You lose access to clean tasting water in the south... especially Texas. If that is important to you (which I didn't realize how important it is to me before moving) make sure to ask for $2000 a year extra on your salary negotiations and say you need it to import water from Iowa.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
For all those thinking about leaving Iowa... just take this into consideration. You lose access to clean tasting water in the south... especially Texas. If that is important to you (which I didn't realize how important it is to me before moving) make sure to ask for $2000 a year extra on your salary negotiations and say you need it to import water from Iowa.

Can confirm this. I miss Iowa water. Around here they make it palatable by using tap water to brew tea and dumping sugar in it until your teeth chatter.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Can also confirm this. In some places in Texas, you can chew the tapwater...

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

Can't confirm this.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I used to get crap about bringing back a gallon or two of Ames water whenever I left Lincoln to visit the future Mrs. Velo in Ames. I didn't care because the Ames water tasted, well, like water and the stuff that came out of the tap in Lincoln tasted like crap. I also appreciated the water in Ames when I first moved there for college. The town I graduated high school in had to put so much chlorine in the water that your bathroom would smell like an indoor pool after you took a shower.

Yeah, it is a stupid thing to put in the promo video, but Ames does have some pretty good water. We all take it for granted until we have crap to drink instead.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
If the tap water in texas is from the Ogallala aquifer, it took a long time to get there from the Sand Hills of Nebraska.

Looks like the Ogallala peters out before it gets that far south. I'm remembering the well water on the ranch...cloudy, smelled vaguely of sulfur; if you let it sit, particulate matter would form a sediment on the bottom. If it was really hot out, and you drank it ice cold and very fast, you could choke it down. However, like someone else said...making coffee & sweet tea with it was the only way to make it mildly palatable.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

From your mouth to God's ears. The DFW water tasted like drinking dirty water from a canteen.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I used to get crap about bringing back a gallon or two of Ames water whenever I left Lincoln to visit the future Mrs. Velo in Ames. I didn't care because the Ames water tasted, well, like water and the stuff that came out of the tap in Lincoln tasted like crap. I also appreciated the water in Ames when I first moved there for college. The town I graduated high school in had to put so much chlorine in the water that your bathroom would smell like an indoor pool after you took a shower.

Yeah, it is a stupid thing to put in the promo video, but Ames does have some pretty good water. We all take it for granted until we have crap to drink instead.

Lincoln has a wellfield in the Platte River. Ames uses an aquifer. Waterloo use to have an artesian aquifer for their water. It was very good.