Ames Trib Article: Renovating State Gym & Beyer

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I think its a great idea. Considering the number of students who live on that side of campus. I love the old rustic State even though it is a dump, might also explain why I like dive bars, but I digress... Beyer isn't currently big enough. I agree about someone who mentioned all the glass in the drawing. They really should go with brick like the other buildings around there.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
It would seem to me that if this passes, it would be a blow for one of Jaime Pollards long range goals mentioned in one of his "Next Step" documents of bringing back the Men's Swimming Program by 2011 or 2012. In order to do that, they would need likely need a new pool.
I realize most might not care, but JP has often spoken about being a well rounded department that does well in the Sears Cup standings.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Please, o PLEASE students, make sure this bill passes! I won't reap the benefits but I have friends and family that will soon be at Iowa State and they deserve better than what we have now. Whoever says we have "top notch" facilities is sorely misinformed.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't think anyone has to plead with the students, most see this as a great investment for them and the future of ISU. Something they can actually touch and feel their money being well spent on. Should be a great addition to an already awesome campus.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I think that this will have a huge impact on the recruiting of future students. ISU has to keep their enrollment steady or hopefully increase it. Facilities like this sway students to come to ISU (probably more than they should!). Also, I don't think that this plan hurts the athletic department at all. Hardly any work is being done to Beyer, where the swimming currently is. And I thought that JP was looking for a swimming complex east of JT, along with a track and baseball/softball. Either way, the athletic department was asked if they wanted to be involved with this (and the new Ames aquatic complex), they declined. So either JP has another plan or swimming is way down the priority list.

Just adding AC to Lied would be GREAT. And ISU athletes use that facility alot.