Another Funding Cut

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Tuition (and fees...lots of fees) will continue to climb as long as the students are willing to go further into debt and the government is willing to loan money. The problem is that the government is perfectly willing to keep paying more in loans...thus there is no firm check on tuition and fees and the debt continues to climb. Eventually you will reach a tipping point...we might be getting close.

• Agree
Reactions: JMA1125 and Acylum

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You know I like ISU as much as most people but $908.4 million dollars is a heck of a lot of money to spend on an institution that producers lots of young adults with little added value to the market and huge debt burdens.

Higher education has been cut at least somewhat but the real whole in the pocket book is the $3.73 Billion going to K-12.

Flame away.

This little nugget is curious and BS though. "require county auditors to arrange candidate names on the ballot in descending order based on previous election results"

Man just when i think you can't say anything dumber, you go and top it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I try. It will be interesting watching this public debt bubble disintegrate. Interesting times.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Seriously though, it is time to take a step back and realize that this isn't working and not sustainable. It is time to step back and let the free market and all of the kids, parents, teachers, higher education schools, and employers innovate and find better ways of educating kids.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
This article is from 2014 but it provides an interesting take on how universities have increased non-teaching and non-research administration in the last 30 yrs

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/06/higher-ed-administrators-growth_n_4738584.html

Iowa State has been recognized for keeping its administrative costs among the lowest in the country.

X1W4v3C.jpg

Reactions: carvers4math

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not everyone's income is guaranteed to go up every year. Farm prices are down and now the farmers are starting to feel the effects. This is a large part of the tax revenue drop to Iowa.

I don't understand why people in this country just don't get this simple fact: government funding has to come from a revenue source. If that source doesn't make money then you need to adjust your government spending or find new sources of revenue. At least the state of Iowa is trying to be fiscally responsible, unlike the federal government that just seems to find ways to spend instead of ways to pay for it.

I expect the state to get some improvement in funds if they can figure out a way to capture more sales tax on internet sales. They got Amazon, which is huge, but there is still a lot of lost revenue from other internet merchants that they would love to have.

I will agree that the lag in the AG industry certainly have a lot to do with the state's financial troubles.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
If you follow revenues that the state takes in periodically, the corporate tax cut becomes the clear source for the drop in revenue.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I think they could still do a better job on the expense side. My friend's wife has been an art professor for about 20 yrs. She drives up from Des Moines three days a week to teach. He told me that if she works 10 more yrs until she's 62 she'll receive $140K/yr in pension plus medical benefits. Not bad for essentially part-time work teaching a liberal arts subject. That number floored me.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
a lot of money to spend on an institution that producers lots of young adults with little added value to the market and huge debt burdens.

Why the hell are you on a community message board that revolves around this institution if this is how you feel about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I think they could still do a better job on the expense side. My friend's wife has been an art professor for about 20 yrs. She drives up from Des Moines three days a week to teach. He told me that if she works 10 more yrs until she's 62 she'll receive $140K/yr in pension plus medical benefits. Not bad for essentially part-time work teaching a liberal arts subject. That number floored me.

If she's talking about a pension, that means she selected IPERS and not the Tiaa-credit contribution plan option. ISU retirees do get access to the ISU medical plans at the negotiated rates. BUT they have to pay the full premium based on Medicare eligibility. FWIW.

If you get down to the nut and bolts, the only way a University has administrative costs that low is by not having those positions aka "expenses" which depending on the area you can clearly tell ISU is lacking compared to the other regent institutions.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Knowing what my wife's Ipers is projected, either she isn't in this or if she is, she is pulling around 175k/year and ISU is picking up medical.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron