Any word on earl?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Hall initially signed with Rutgers as a high school senior but never enrolled in school. The four-time Florida state high school champion opted instead to move to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.
During his two-year stint there, Hall competed in events that, at the time, were outside the World and Olympic Team qualifying structure, according to Jackson. As a result, he was initially stripped of his first year of collegiate eligibility.
“USA Wrestling kind of tightening up their structure and their flow chart for how guys qualify for the Olympic Trials helped Earl’s case and Earl’s case probably helped them structure their system a little better so no other kids are caught in the same situation Earl was caught in,” Jackson said.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st.../?hootPostID=741138df31aedc64cf3abfecd6c4c07d

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Most other top teams, guys aren't guaranteed a starting spot all for years. Earl has to miss the 1st 3 duals.

141 will be up for grabs. Boston, Meeks and now maybe Simmons competing for it. Good problem to have

I get that. I thought I heard 133 was extremely competitive in the room last year. Is Earl guaranteed the spot?

Mar 12, 2014
Most other top teams, guys aren't guaranteed a starting spot all for years. Earl has to miss the 1st 3 duals.

141 will be up for grabs. Boston, Meeks and now maybe Simmons competing for it. Good problem to have

buf87, I hear what your saying but I just don't see KJ sitting a 2x AA. Hall isn't physical enough for 141 and to big for 125#. If Simmons and Hall wrestle off again, Simmons is going to have to major Hall and even then, I can't imagine that would be the match to determines if Hall starts or not.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
buf87, I hear what your saying but I just don't see KJ sitting a 2x AA. Hall isn't physical enough for 141 and to big for 125#. If Simmons and Hall wrestle off again, Simmons is going to have to major Hall and even then, I can't imagine that would be the match to determines if Hall starts or not.

I think you're reading Buf's post wrong, he's not saying Earl isn't guaranteed to start (he is). He's saying Simmons should know he wasn't a shoe-in for a 4-year starter here.

Mar 12, 2014
I think you're reading Buf's post wrong, he's not saying Earl isn't guaranteed to start (he is). He's saying Simmons should know he wasn't a shoe-in for a 4-year starter here.

You might be right, I may have misinterpreted what he meant. If you're not guaranteed 4 years, it should apply to Hall as well.

Nobody should be guaranteed a starting spot, which you're alluding for Hall. I can see a 2x AA (7th & 8th place) given all the opportunities in the world to keep his spot. Remember, Simmons lost to Hall by a single point in the 2015 wrestle offs. A year in the room could make a big difference.

Assumption is being made that Simmons thought he was guaranteed a spot for 4 years. When he was recruited, I'm sure KJ gave him all the love in the world BUT I'm going to assume that KJ informed him that he would have to earn a spot.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think KJ would bumps Hall unless the previous condition I posted occurred.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I would be totally surprised if Hall doesn't start. I think 125 & 141 are up for grabs

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
You might be right, I may have misinterpreted what he meant. If you're not guaranteed 4 years, it should apply to Hall as well.

Nobody should be guaranteed a starting spot, which you're alluding for Hall. I can see a 2x AA (7th & 8th place) given all the opportunities in the world to keep his spot. Remember, Simmons lost to Hall by a single point in the 2015 wrestle offs. A year in the room could make a big difference.

Assumption is being made that Simmons thought he was guaranteed a spot for 4 years. When he was recruited, I'm sure KJ gave him all the love in the world BUT I'm going to assume that KJ informed him that he would have to earn a spot.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think KJ would bumps Hall unless the previous condition I posted occurred.

I agree on having to earn your spot in the lineup, but I'm failing to recall a time where a returning 2x All-American was a backup to a RS freshman. It may have happened, but I've never seen it.

Very excited about Pup Simmons, just think he'll have to wait an extra year to show what he can do.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Somebody (Boston or Simmons) will go up and challenge for 141. I don't think Simmons can cut to 125 and challenge Larson and we know Boston can't.

Also hearing of a lightweight guy possibly coming in mid season (December)

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Earl considering a drop to 125? With the rumblings about Pestano, perhaps a move of wrestling "big". I have noticed the last few years where it seems we are wrestling closer to "real weight", while other programs are cutting quite a bit and look huge by comparison.