NBA: Are Lakers intentionally tanking season...

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
As a 76ers fan, i find it ironic that two of the Lakers major offseason signings have been shut down even though both are healthy.... Oh its because LA loses their draft rights to their first round pick (1-3) protected. So if they finish 4th, Philly gets it. So, LA is trying everything they can do to lose games to stay in that top three. Thats pretty pathetic.....

Obviously they cannot ask a player to tank it - especially if its so that they can draft someone to take that persons spot. I hope they come up with a few "W" because it would be sweet in this draft to have two top 8 picks!!!!

• Dislike
Reactions: baagoe

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
As a 76ers fan, i find it ironic that two of the Lakers major offseason signings have been shut down even though both are healthy.... Oh its because LA loses their draft rights to their first round pick (1-3) protected. So if they finish 4th, Philly gets it. So, LA is trying everything they can do to lose games to stay in that top three. Thats pretty pathetic.....

Obviously they cannot ask a player to tank it - especially if its so that they can draft someone to take that persons spot. I hope they come up with a few "W" because it would be sweet in this draft to have two top 8 picks!!!!
Gotta get Lonzo Ball somehow

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
You're a 76ers fan and you think it's pathetic the Lakers are tanking? Ok...

I'm not a Lakers fan at all but I mean.. they're obviously not going to make the playoffs, you'll lose your pick if it's not top 3, why would you not try to give yourself the best chance at keeping your pick?

• Agree
Reactions: SwirlyBird

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If the Lakers aren't openly tanking the management should be fired (which just happened 2 weeks ago).
Their first round pick is owned to 76ers as stated by the OP, in addition next years '19 pick is then owed to I believe the Bulls. If they get in the Top 3 this year it moves back a year, the 76ers get next years 1st and the one owed to the Bulls becomes a 2nd. Basically either LA get Ball this year or not draft in the first round til 2019. All due to Steve Nash trade 5 years ago gotta love pick protections.

Irony of it is as bad as Mozgov and Deng have been having them sit really should affect the end record much. Also Philly just beat LA earlier this weak hurting their own cause.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
As a Celtics fan I am thrilled with how the Nets season is going....hopefully the lottery doesnt backfire on us again this year.

Hopefully the Nets get #1 and LA falls out of the Top 3.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
For the record - the 76ers set a plan in motion of drafting the same player three years in a row - thats a plan to be bad - thats not tanking that just means were going to draft someone that cannot help us this year or maybe next.... ala Cowboys drafting Jaylon Smith.... they knew he wouldn't help this year....

Who could not have known that Ben Simmons was gonna hurt his foot in mini camp....

The lakers have healthy players that are sitting for nothing short of a draft pick. There's no way with that starting lineup that they do not get their pick which sucks for my boys... Hope they get that incredibly talented Ball with his crackpot daddy..... Perfect marriage with that loose cannon Russell....

Could be reason why 76ers shut done Embiid and Simmons too... hoping to push LA one more spot down...having the 3rd and 7th picks could turn a franchise around with 2 #1's next year too...

But - they were talking about it on ESPN last night and Byron Scott echoed my sentiments... How does management tell a player to shut it down when that improved draft pick might take my job away!!!!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So the key to this working for the Lakers is don't take like 4 players who all play the same position.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Of course they are. Why would they want to lose a good draft pick. I'd be really funny if they ended up getting screwed by the lottery and get the 4th pick instead of a top 3 pick.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
NBA definitely has to figure out a way to quit giving incentive to tank. part of it could be just how cheap the rookie contracts are so maybe double what they are right now to take away that incentive. Lot less teams will be willing to take a chance on an unproven player making 10 million.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
NBA definitely has to figure out a way to quit giving incentive to tank. part of it could be just how cheap the rookie contracts are so maybe double what they are right now to take away that incentive. Lot less teams will be willing to take a chance on an unproven player making 10 million.
Maybe just make the bottom 7 teams all equally likely to get the number 1 pick.

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
He wants the nets to get the #1 pick because Boston will get that pick and the nets will get bostons pick I believe

Still reaping the rewards of the Pierce/Garnett/Terry trade to Brooklyn. Boston gets Brooklyn's 1st round pick in 2018 and has the option of swapping 1st Round picks with Brooklyn this year, which is a no brainer.

Help Support Us

Become a patron