Assessment from last night

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Ylabhunter

Jan 6, 2010
Ankeny
What a game...

Lots of things I really liked:

1. Craig Brackins has now taken this team and made it HIS team. He was much more vocal and was not afraid to state his opinion to his teammates. I think he showed everyone who the LEADER is on this team. This might be why he handled the double teams so much better and took it strong to the hole. Prior to last night he was not handling the double and triple teams very well at all. He also was settling for fade aways and staying out on the perimeter. (Which might have been the advice he was given to improve his draft stock?)

2. Coach Mac was much more energized and not as timid with players, refs, and other coaches. He wasn't afraid to get on guys and really had a good game. (Believe it or not coaches have good games and not so good games too!)

3. Bench play was unbelievable and I dont know if you can get much better than what they did last night. 14pts, 4 of 6 Fg's, 6 of 10 Ft's, 7 rebs, 3 asts, 1 turnover, 1 stl, 5 blks. WOW!!! Outside of Dendy's 3pt attempt and Boozer getting hurt not too many negatives. If you told me Dendy would shoot 6 of 10 from the line before the game I would have taken that in heart beat coming from a guy who has hit less than 50% coming into the game.

4. The crowd was awesome, loud, vocal and into the game from the tip. Granted its a lot easier when you play the #1 team and the game is close.

5. Justin Hamilton was great!!! He is the most improved player easily so far this season. We are getting a lot out of his 20ish minutes a game.

Things I believe still need work:

1. Playing every possession and not taking any possessions off. Making sure they get everything out of each time down on offense and defense. With all the injuries and lack of depth the Cyclones missed out on 5-10 possessions that they didn't give 100% effort. This can also be classified as mental errors.

2. Gilstrap needs to get his points on less shots. He still has a lot of JUCO in his game. Relying on athletic ability and taking breathers here and there doesn't work at this level. Playing Texas and Kansas out of the gate might help him more than anyone. He needs to get back to where he is getting a majority of his stats by "garbage" points and open court points.

3. More consistent point guard play. Garrett is still having trouble recognizing when he needs to distribute and when its time to take it to the hole. Sometimes checking the ball for air isn't the best choice (hence the 5 second call last night). In his defense it's not like there are that many PG's in the country that can score, distribute, and defend.

4. Is it me or does Lucca get a look in his eye and you know he is going to shoot it no matter what? I would love to know Lucca's shooting percentage off the dribble and his shooting percentage with less than one dribble. My guess off the dribble is less than 30% and greater than 50% when his feet are set.

5. The assistant coaches need to step up. I dont see the interaction between Mac his assistants as I do with other programs. They need to be up in his ear helping him out with game flow, subs, advice, suggestions, etc.

Performances like last night make you wonder what would have happened if it was UNI or Northwestern? I think the growth from Saturday to last night might have been more than Idaho St game to the Duke game. With a few minor adjustments this team can still be very special!!!

Just 2 cents.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I think your assessment is pretty good, Hunter. I would guess that before this game, Lucca off the dribble was almost zero percent. Last night he impressed me a bit, as some of his shots actually went in. I also think that the other guys need to realize where they need to set screens for DG. I think a couple calls and turnovers he had were because somebody missed their screen assignment. Good post.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Nice assessment.

The only thing you missed, IMO, is another area of improvement. In game adjustments, and how we react when the other team makes adjustments.

Of course, I'm talking about the first 2 - 4 minutes of the second half. McD HAS to know Texas is going to pressure the ball coming out of the half, yet there seemed to be no adjustment.

Let's, now, assume he tried to account for that, and we just failed to execute (hard to imagine, seeing as how Garrett was left all alone to break the press). Please, Coach, react more quickly. Eat a timeout after the very first turnover. Don't wait until the #1 team in the country has opened an 8 point lead to say, "Well, we better talk about this".

That's really my only beef with last night. Other than that, the boys played very hard, and gave Texas all they wanted.

Zastr6

Nov 17, 2009
Grimes
I also enjoyed what I saw last night at Hilton. But I feel like we need to wait for the results of the next few games to see if there is really improvement or if our team was just excited about playing a big team like Texas. I really hope last night carries over to the rest of the season and that our players can get fired up like they did last night even if it is in the glorified high school gymnasium that is the Bob Devaney Center

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
1. Craig Brackins has now taken this team and made it HIS team. He was much more vocal and was not afraid to state his opinion to his teammates. I think he showed everyone who the LEADER is on this team. This might be why he handled the double teams so much better and took it strong to the hole. Prior to last night he was not handling the double and triple teams very well at all. He also was settling for fade aways and staying out on the perimeter. (Which might have been the advice he was given to improve his draft stock?)

It would be nice if he started to put a little bit more effort into rebounding as well... how many times last night did he have/almost have a rebound only to be out hustled or have the ball taken from him by a texas player?

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
It is not indicative of GMac's entire 4 years but this particular team for whatever reason does not play well the first 5 minutes of each half. What's causing this? I don't know. However, I would consider shaking-up the second half starting line-up at a minimum. Bench guys would come out fired-up and it would perhaps throw the other team's second half adjustments off. Not that GMac has a box with customer comment cards in them but does anybody else have any suggestions?

Jan 23, 2008
Glen Ellyn, IL
What a game...

3. More consistent point guard play. Garrett is still having trouble recognizing when he needs to distribute and when its time to take it to the hole. Sometimes checking the ball for air isn't the best choice (hence the 5 second call last night). In his defense it's not like there are that many PG's in the country that can score, distribute, and defend.

I agree with you comment. 5 turnovers and 5 assists will not work against the #1 team in the country. DG also threw up an ill-advised 3 when we were down by 9 with about 2 min. to play. Christopherson was wide open on the right side. We really could have used Colvin last night. His size and athleticism was missed to give DG more rest. I don't believe Buckley matched up too well against the TX guards. Does anybody know if Colvin will be back sooner than February?

Craig41

Apr 19, 2006
Outside of Dendy, I don't think the bench play was good. Granted Boozer was injured early in the second half, but I think the lack of bench minutes impacted our shooting in the second half (tired legs). I am hopeful of more from SC, DB and Boozer when healthy.

The team did really compete, I enjoyed this game and I was impressed with the overall performance. Yes, there were still some mistakes and our perimeter defense needs to continue to improve as there was too much dribble drive and open looks. However, you have to give credit to Texas as they are very talented.

I like DG attacking, but he has to finish more (3-12 shooting). He did play 37 minutes and was the primary ball handler most of this time. I would like to see more minutes for Buckley

Staiger creating and scoring off the dribble was great. We got a lot of good looks (yes still some bad shots, but much better looks overall out of our offensive sets than any other game this year in my opinion), sent players to the boards, competed well etc.

It was also good to see DG and LS with 7 boards. Our guards need to help out on rebounding.

I was also impressed that we continued to compete after the initial run by Texas in the first half. Although we never were able to get it back within 2 points, we could have quit fighting and ended up losing by 20+.

Props to the team. Time to win at Nebraska and turn the corner on this season.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
It is not indicative of GMac's entire 4 years but this particular team for whatever reason does not play well the first 5 minutes of each half. What's causing this? I don't know. However, I would consider shaking-up the second half starting line-up at a minimum. Bench guys would come out fired-up and it would perhaps throw the other team's second half adjustments off. Not that GMac has a box with customer comment cards in them but does anybody else have any suggestions?

This bugs me too. It seems like every game this season, we turn the ball over on our first possession of each half. I can't understand it.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
What a game...

Lots of things I really liked:

2. Coach Mac was much more energized and not as timid with players, refs, and other coaches. He wasn't afraid to get on guys and really had a good game. (Believe it or not coaches have good games and not so good games too!)

3. Bench play was unbelievable and I dont know if you can get much better than what they did last night. 14pts, 4 of 6 Fg's, 6 of 10 Ft's, 7 rebs, 3 asts, 1 turnover, 1 stl, 5 blks. WOW!!! Outside of Dendy's 3pt attempt and Boozer getting hurt not too many negatives. If you told me Dendy would shoot 6 of 10 from the line before the game I would have taken that in heart beat coming from a guy who has hit less than 50% coming into the game.

4. The crowd was awesome, loud, vocal and into the game from the tip. Granted its a lot easier when you play the #1 team and the game is close.

5. Justin Hamilton was great!!! He is the most improved player easily so far this season. We are getting a lot out of his 20ish minutes a game.

Things I believe still need work:

1. Playing every possession and not taking any possessions off. Making sure they get everything out of each time down on offense and defense. With all the injuries and lack of depth the Cyclones missed out on 5-10 possessions that they didn't give 100% effort. This can also be classified as mental errors.

2. Gilstrap needs to get his points on less shots. He still has a lot of JUCO in his game. Relying on athletic ability and taking breathers here and there doesn't work at this level. Playing Texas and Kansas out of the gate might help him more than anyone. He needs to get back to where he is getting a majority of his stats by "garbage" points and open court points.

4. Is it me or does Lucca get a look in his eye and you know he is going to shoot it no matter what? I would love to know Lucca's shooting percentage off the dribble and his shooting percentage with less than one dribble. My guess off the dribble is less than 30% and greater than 50% when his feet are set.

5. The assistant coaches need to step up. I dont see the interaction between Mac his assistants as I do with other programs. They need to be up in his ear helping him out with game flow, subs, advice, suggestions, etc.

Performances like last night make you wonder what would have happened if it was UNI or Northwestern? I think the growth from Saturday to last night might have been more than Idaho St game to the Duke game. With a few minor adjustments this team can still be very special!!!

Just 2 cents.

So the players and the assistant coaches "still need work"....but not the head man...GOT IT!

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
So the players and the assistant coaches "still need work"....but not the head man...GOT IT!

There's always room for improvement for everybody.

What % of your posts do you figure are of the "fire GMac" variety?