Assistants

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Quite a few still in wrestling, though not many would make sense as assistants. Matt Azevedo is the head coach at Drexel. Varner assisting at PSU with the Sanderson's along with Nick Fanthorpe. Bono and Reader at SDSU. Last I knew Zabriskie was at Lehigh training and helping coach there. Eric Akin is the head coach at St. Thomas aquinas in KC. Mike Moreno Sr is the head coach at Urbandale hs. Steve Knight runs the Excel club.

Notable alumni who are out of wrestling (as far as I know) include Gallicks, the Gibbons brothers, Backes, Holker, Heskett (associate AD @ WVU), Mountsier, Steve Hamilton(does a little bit of club stuff in Georgia) and Barry Weldon.

Thanks for the rundown. I was just thinking if there was anybody we hadn't talked about, or was logical to be an assistant coach. There are probably a few more, but wouldn't make sense for them to become assistants

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
Quite a few still in wrestling, though not many would make sense as assistants. Matt Azevedo is the head coach at Drexel. Varner assisting at PSU with the Sanderson's along with Nick Fanthorpe. Bono and Reader at SDSU. Last I knew Zabriskie was at Lehigh training and helping coach there. Eric Akin is the head coach at St. Thomas aquinas in KC. Mike Moreno Sr is the head coach at Urbandale hs. Steve Knight runs the Excel club.

Notable alumni who are out of wrestling (as far as I know) include Gallicks, the Gibbons brothers, Backes, Holker, Heskett (associate AD @ WVU), Mountsier, Steve Hamilton(does a little bit of club stuff in Georgia) and Barry Weldon.

Backes is helping out at Simpson College now

Hokiecyclone

Feb 18, 2017
I'll be shocked if Zadick isn't at ISU. Can't speak on Metcalf. The kids at VT loved Zadick and St. John though. I don't think you'll be disappointed with them. They are great coaches and the workouts will be top notch. I'm pretty positive Dresser will let Zadick run the practices.

Cyk Aboody

Feb 20, 2017
My guess is Dresser, Zadick, St John, Metcalf.

Assuming Metcalf is volunteer or Dir of Operations and in some capacity with CRTC. That leaves 1 spot open.

Was told the entire staff is getting announced tomorrow.

Maybe the other is Angel. Just a guess or Mike Moreno

I think you are a very good guesser! I'm very excited for the future of the program!

Reactions: jkbuff98

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Can the Dir of Operations sit in the corner at duals and practice with the team?

In the past this was Garett Kiley then Dana Vote.

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
Can the Dir of Operations sit in the corner at duals and practice with the team?

In the past this was Garett Kiley then Dana Vote.

Don't think they can corner a wrestler during a match (perhaps an unattached wrestler at an Open, but not 100% sure on that either).

Most of the DOPs I know have also been connected to a team's wrestling club, so they have always been able to practice in some capacity. For instance, St. John his first year at Va Tech.

Luke Eustice, the Iowa DOP, usually sits with the team on the bench behind the coaches at Iowa duals.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I know he's not being mentioned as a possibility here but I'd be fine with Backes coming back in some capacity. He's been around some excellent coaches in his time and could add a lot to the program imo.
Has no interest in coaching at the college level that is why he left Iowa for a "real world" job. He is doing well at Wells Fargo.

• Informative
Reactions: ca4cy

cywr89

May 14, 2009
My guess is Dresser, Zadick, St John, Metcalf.

Assuming Metcalf is volunteer or Dir of Operations and in some capacity with CRTC. That leaves 1 spot open.

Was told the entire staff is getting announced tomorrow.

Maybe the other is Angel. Just a guess or Mike Moreno

Why would a spot be open if Metcalf is the volunteer? You are only allowed 2 paid assistants and one volunteer which is paid by the RTC/CWC. Unless Angel or Mike are eligible for the Grad Assistant position then neither will be coaching next season at ISU. I don't see either accepting a Dir of Ops position. Mike will probably continue to train (not sure if it will be ISU) and Angel will have other assistant position opportunities.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So you think Metcalf is not going to be at Iowa State or just with CRTC or as 2nd Assistant?

I am just speculating and don't know the rules for each position.

if the whole staff is getting announced,
that would be
Head Assistant
2nd Assistant
Volunteer Coach
Dir of Operations.

Have only heard 3 guys mentioned frequently and they are Zadick, St John and Metcalf. So who would be at what position if these are the guys?

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Head Assistant: Mike Zadick
2nd Assistant: St. John
Volunteer/CRTC Coach: Metcalf
Dir of Operations: Supposedly, this person can not work out with the team. I'm not sure what they can do but this is why KJ never cared if the position was filled by a wrestler or not.

• Informative
Reactions: buf87

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Head Assistant: Mike Zadick
2nd Assistant: St. John
Volunteer/CRTC Coach: Metcalf
Dir of Operations: Supposedly, this person can not work out with the team. I'm not sure what they can do but this is why KJ never cared if the position was filled by a wrestler or not.
I just asked Garett & that is correct that he can't workout during practice or sit in the corner dual meets

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron