Assistants

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Sounds like Dresser has a very healthy amt of $ to throw at a potential Head Assistant HC. Enough that some HC's at smaller programs would have to consider coming to ISU even as an assistant. I know that Dresser has relationships with St.John, Zadick, etc., but I don't know who else.

I'm guessing most of the rest of his relationships within coaching are Iowa guys. A few guys who would have been his teammates: Penrith, Rico Chiparelli, Duane Goldman, Greg Randall, Jim Heffernan, Alger, and Marty Kistler. I don't see any of those as being fits.

I don't see Zadick or St.J as head assistants. Don't really mind either of the two but I see Zadick as not being well-polished enough and St.J as too young. Maybe he will try to poach a 2nd or 3rd assistant from a bigger school, a guy like Zach Esposito from Okie St or Tervel Dlagnev at tOSU. I don't think anyone would be leaving Penn St.

No idea what direction he is going to go.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Would think he will be looking for a bigger guy if Zadick & St John are the assistants

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I would love to see Dresser go after Cliff Moore. Former IA wrestler originally from IA. Head assistant at Edinboro.

Edinboro has been rumored to be a college in consideration of closure in PA. Not sure if this worries any of the Edinboro staff? Even so, maybe IA would be attractive to Moore. If so, I think he is one hell of an assistant and worth talking to. Hope he is on Dresser's shortlist!

Add Reader and maybe a big guy like Kyven or BigZ? That staff would get me excited for the potential!

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I don't see Zadick or St.J as head assistants. Don't really mind either of the two but I see Zadick as not being well-polished enough and St.J as too young.

Who cares how polished or old a coach is as long as they can coach, recruit and win? Dan Gable was not very polished, but he knew how to win....

isit

Feb 9, 2014
I don't see Zadick or St.J as head assistants. Don't really mind either of the two but I see Zadick as not being well-polished enough and St.J as too young.

Please, no polish.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Since when do wrestling coaches need to be polished ? Dresser will be the face of the program if that's what you mean. Results are more important than appearances.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Who cares how polished or old a coach is as long as they can coach, recruit and win? Dan Gable was not very polished, but he knew how to win....

I don't care about either but it is reasonable to think either of those two traits could effect one's ability to coach.

Up to Coach Dresser, I trust him.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Buf...you thinking we will hear something by Tuesday? I saw a couple Ramos to ISU rumblings. He's just a volunteer at UNC now.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I don't think Robie has announced assistants yet. Pitt not interviewing for HC until next week might be holding things up.
Would like to go to meeting Tues but can't make it

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I trust Dresser in whoever he brings in. Whether it's Ramos or Reader or whoever, he asked the fans for his trust, so I'll give him my trust and believe he will hire the best assistants for this program

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think it is more likely a Hawkeye staff than any Cyclones on it. But I am just hearing talk & nothing definite.

Trust Kevin, it has to be a staff he can work with & be on the same page as him

AGRCyclone

Mar 23, 2010
I circled Ramos the day we hired dresser and most shot it down-why not get a little hawk toughness in the room? I would take reader in a heartbeat but don't see him leaving Chris and what they've got going at SDSU...since we've went to the gutter, ive watched more Iowa wrestling than I care to but you have to admit-they wrestle 5x harder than we do as a whole so why not infuse that into a room that had no fire! Let him hire who he thinks can do the job I say! While I don't see T and T staying as a cyclone I would like to see them stay at men capacity and see if dresser can change their fire as well!

Reactions: stuclone

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
I think he should keep Escobedo. Zadick is a recruiting MACHINE and we need him. St. John would fill out the staff nicely. I don't see the Paulsons involved.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I circled Ramos the day we hired dresser and most shot it down-why not get a little hawk toughness in the room? I would take reader in a heartbeat but don't see him leaving Chris and what they've got going at SDSU...since we've went to the gutter, ive watched more Iowa wrestling than I care to but you have to admit-they wrestle 5x harder than we do as a whole so why not infuse that into a room that had no fire! Let him hire who he thinks can do the job I say! While I don't see T and T staying as a cyclone I would like to see them stay at men capacity and see if dresser can change their fire as well!

I'm not against Iowa guys but Ramos is a little b.

I trust KD.