Attendance in NFL

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Many people are speaking of attendance in college being poor. I have seen many NFL games of lately where the crowd is less than 1/2 full. I know currently it is super cold in Chicago, but the crowd is almost non-existent. Is it always this way in the cold temps in chicago or is it a combination of the cold temps and the sub-par bears team this year?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Probably both. I think you'd see some people stay away no matter what.

But same time, same conditions last season in Chicago - the place would be packed for such a rivalry game.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My wife and I went to the Chiefs/Chargers game a few weeks ago, and it was ice cold. We could have pretty much had our pick of seats in the stands.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
My wife and I went to the Chiefs/Chargers game a few weeks ago, and it was ice cold. We could have pretty much had our pick of seats in the stands.

Well the Chiefs do stink.. :yes: Aside from that, if you look at a lot of stadiums, you'll notice a ring of seats between the lower level and the upper deck. This is usually the Club section which often has indoor lounges, bars, and restaurants where you can watch the game in warm comfort. Yes, why would you go to a game and watch it on TV inside?.. well some people do that.. even in warm weather.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Doesn't the NFL have some kind of policy saying that if the games don't sellout that they black out the TV for the local market?

ajjohnson

Sep 25, 2006
Many people are speaking of attendance in college being poor. I have seen many NFL games of lately where the crowd is less than 1/2 full. I know currently it is super cold in Chicago, but the crowd is almost non-existent. Is it always this way in the cold temps in chicago or is it a combination of the cold temps and the sub-par bears team this year?

But they still sold the Bears game out at outrageous prices per seat and luxury box, despite all the no shows. And I don't know what game you were watching, but way more than half the stadium was full.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Corperate America apathy.....:skeptical:

It seems now a days with the price of rising players salaries, they are paying for it by raising tickets prices (tickets are now largely owned by companies) and huge TV contracts, 5 years ago it was $89 for the NFL ticket on Direct TV...today it is 3x that.

I believe it is not only affordability, but apathy if you do not pay for the tickets yourself, you are not out anything if you do not attend....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron