Auditor: Iowa State University director diverted, pocketed $324,816

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
After investigating conflict of interest concerns involving the former director of Iowa State University’s Center for Agricultural Law and Taxation, State Auditor Mary Mosiman has identified $324,816 in diverted collections and improper and unsupported disbursements.

According to an investigative report made public Tuesday, Roger McEowen diverted $280,170.83 into his personal and business bank accounts, including proceeds from textbook sales and payments for conference and seminar presentations.

Another $43,612.98 in improper Iowa State disbursements included excess vacation expenses and improper vacation payout; payment to McEowen on days he presented on behalf of his private company at conferences and seminars; and exaggerated or inappropriate travel expenses.

The audit found the university and the center involved in this case “do not attempt to verify the information provided by the employees is complete or accurate. They, instead, rely on an employee’s ethics to properly disclose all potential conflicts.

He also scheduled summer conferences across the country for the Iowa State center, “which was established to address the needs of Iowans.”

“As a result, it is unclear what benefit is provided by the conferences held outside Iowa,” according to the report.

Iowa State staff said McEowen was behind the summer events, which were to be held in “luxurious resorts across the country.”

“Staff reported the expenses for the two-day seminars are quite high and the attendance numbers are generally low,” according to the report.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...-diverted-improperly-pocketed-324816-20160920

Cyclone11

Aug 29, 2016
After investigating conflict of interest concerns involving the former director of Iowa State University’s Center for Agricultural Law and Taxation, State Auditor Mary Mosiman has identified $324,816 in diverted collections and improper and unsupported disbursements.

According to an investigative report made public Tuesday, Roger McEowen diverted $280,170.83 into his personal and business bank accounts, including proceeds from textbook sales and payments for conference and seminar presentations.

Another $43,612.98 in improper Iowa State disbursements included excess vacation expenses and improper vacation payout; payment to McEowen on days he presented on behalf of his private company at conferences and seminars; and exaggerated or inappropriate travel expenses.

The audit found the university and the center involved in this case “do not attempt to verify the information provided by the employees is complete or accurate. They, instead, rely on an employee’s ethics to properly disclose all potential conflicts.

He also scheduled summer conferences across the country for the Iowa State center, “which was established to address the needs of Iowans.”

“As a result, it is unclear what benefit is provided by the conferences held outside Iowa,” according to the report.

Iowa State staff said McEowen was behind the summer events, which were to be held in “luxurious resorts across the country.”

“Staff reported the expenses for the two-day seminars are quite high and the attendance numbers are generally low,” according to the report.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...-diverted-improperly-pocketed-324816-20160920
Thug life baby!

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

Sounds about right.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
They noticed discrepancies back in 2011. Now its just coming to light? Isn't this like, a jail-able offense?

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
They noticed discrepancies back in 2011. Now its just coming to light? Isn't this like, a jail-able offense?

Yes. At a minimum.

This is a very disgusting abuse of his position for personal gain.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If these are found to be accurate, I hope he has to repay the whole thing with interest. I'm not sure jail time would do any good but he would deserve it. White collar crime rarely gets jail time though.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Dang. I liked Roger and got to know him really well in my time at ISU.

Hopefully he has to pay this back with interest, serves some time, and learns his lesson....but knowing he is a lawyer I have my doubts.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
On the news this morning I felt sympathetic because they made it seem like it was an issue of was he doing the same job as a private company. Seems like he is just a bad person though.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
On the news this morning I felt sympathetic because they made it seem like it was an issue of was he doing the same job as a private company. Seems like he is just a bad person though.

According to the article in the original post, it was his company that was doing the same job as he did at ISU.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
According to the article in the original post, it was his company that was doing the same job as he did at ISU.
Sounds like he did a lot of shady ****, falsifying travel expenses, having ISU staff members doing work for his private business, selling his textbook directly to students, having speaking engagements on behalf of his company but using ISU resources and not taking time off from ISU to do it.

He basically never took vacation when he should have and then walked away with a $20,000+ payout of his vacation when he resigned when his vacation accrual should have long been in the negative.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'm not sure your point. I was sympathetic because the news made it sound like it involved disagreement on what his job required and he could do privately. This seems to show he also was doing other stuff such as overpaying vacation and stuff.

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
And this might not be the best policy to have in place-