Barbara Mack Passed Away

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
BMack was one of my favorite teachers at ISU. JL MC 101 with her was amazing! Who could forget her wanting to create a laptop pouch for her ***. :biglaugh: She will be missed dearly! RIP :sad:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
My favorite easily. I loved my journalism law class with her. Fantastic personality and one of the most genuine people you would ever meet. Her loss will be a tough one to come back from and she'll be greatly missed at the Greenlee school of Journalism, ISU, the Ames and Des Moines community and the journalism and law communities as a whole. Dark day today.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Really sad day. One of my favorite professors. She and I always seemed to share a mental wavelength. Always was surprised that some classmates hated her, but then again those were the kind of people that thought they were entitled to a high grade without having to put in the effort.

The thing I liked most about her was she really didn't care what your views were, even political and religious views, as long as you brought intelligence to the conversation.

Last edited:
K

KFitzy87

The thing I enjoyed most about JLMC 101 with her was it was like having a humorous conversation throughout the whole lecture... You went to class, got in more than a few laughs, and then you're leaving all of a sudden because you had such a good time

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
The thing I enjoyed most about JLMC 101 with her was it was like having a humorous conversation throughout the whole lecture... You went to class, got in more than a few laughs, and then you're leaving all of a sudden because you had such a good time

do you know what other JL MC classes she taught?

Might have had her as a teacher i the future. RIP

jdcyclone

Mar 21, 2007
Glenwood, IA
Barbara Mack was definitely one of my favorite professors in my time at ISU. I remember hearing the stories of how crazy strict she was, and how she put the fear of God into students. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to actually meet her until my final summer semester in 2003. She turned out to be a very nice person that only wanted to see her students succeed. She wouldn't put up with students that did dumb things...but she meant well and it usually brought a laugh to the class. She always had great stories too. The story that has stuck in my head forever is when she told our class about how the word "like" was introduced to modern conversation. She told us about how the movie Clueless ruined the speaking ability of all college age girls. Anytime a girl in our class would say, "It's like Cyclone Football." she would promptly interrupt the girl and say, "Is it LIKE Cyclone Football, or IS IT Cyclone Football? I know that might make you feel kinda stupid, but honey a future employer won' want to hear you talk like that." I found humor in it and Barbara Mack will be sadly missed.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That's a huge blow to ISU. Not going to be able to replace her.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Barbara Mack was definitely one of my favorite professors in my time at ISU. I remember hearing the stories of how crazy strict she was, and how she put the fear of God into students. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to actually meet her until my final summer semester in 2003. She turned out to be a very nice person that only wanted to see her students succeed. She wouldn't put up with students that did dumb things...but she meant well and it usually brought a laugh to the class. She always had great stories too. The story that has stuck in my head forever is when she told our class about how the word "like" was introduced to modern conversation. She told us about how the movie Clueless ruined the speaking ability of all college age girls. Anytime a girl in our class would say, "It's like Cyclone Football." she would promptly interrupt the girl and say, "Is it LIKE Cyclone Football, or IS IT Cyclone Football? I know that might make you feel kinda stupid, but honey a future employer won' want to hear you talk like that." I found humor in it and Barbara Mack will be sadly missed.

I don't know how she was later, but when I had her class in 2004, she would chuck an eraser at anyone that used "like" incorrectly. In her time, she got pretty deadly accurate with that thing, too. Plugged a couple of kids square in the forehead with them.

SouthCyder

May 30, 2007
North Liberty, IA
B Mack was great. Had her for two of my 400-level JL MC classes back in 2005 and 2006. Easily came away better from both of them. Now working as a writer full-time after a few years in PR, I probably have had to think back to her classes more than any other. She wasn't mean to be mean. In fact, I wouldn't even say she was mean. She had a deep interest in her students improving more than just their grades. She challenged us every day. This quote she gave to the Daily couldn't have possibly captured her better:

"I want students to come away from a class believing there is always more to learn and there is always a way to improve their understanding. Nothing is as frustrating to me as a day in which I learn nothing."

I think she succeeded with me and I know with many others. This is a tough one. She was one of a kind.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I heard about this just recently this morning down here in KC. Such sad news. She was a wonderful professor and an even better person. She was very kind to my wife back when we were in school about her mom going through cancer treatment.

She was fun and a really positive person! My thoughts go out to her family and to all of us in the ISU Family.

I also heard about St. Thomas' Fr. Jon Seda's father passing away as well. Fr. Seda married my wife and I in Ames in '09 @ STA. Fr. Seda is just awesome and my heart goes out to him and his family at this time too.

Tough day for Cyclones.

Reactions: Haverhill