Barbara Mack Passed Away

clonefan10

May 30, 2012
Des Moines
Her JL MC 101 class was my second ever at Iowa State. Went into Hoover Hall at 11 am and couldn't believe how many people were in there. It was my "welcome to college" moment. I only took two journalism classes at Iowa State, but hers was a favorite. Spoke with her once one-on-one and she was very cool. She will be missed.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Very sad to hear this. I never took one of her classes but I had the privilege of working with her for 5 years as JLMC student tech support (I worked mainly with the professors). Her computer issues were always the best (i.e. a crunched laptop), and her humor was amazing. I remember watching her pick up a student's Nalgene (before the BPA scare) and chuck it into a cement block wall. I believer she said, "Wow, these things really are indestructible." Gotta love a prof that isn't afraid to drop F-bombs when they were appropriate as well. Great teacher who will definitely be missed.

D

DistrictCyclone

This is sad news indeed; I never had the privilege of taking any of her courses (I had Kim Smith instead), but she was very close with several members of my family during her tenure at the Register and I have heard only amazing things about her.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Never had her for a teacher, but have worked with her on various other issues through my job and not only was she a great person, but she did a damn good job of making me laugh. She obviously did a lot for ISU, but she went above and beyond her job as a professor and was a great resource for many people around the state.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Sad day, I never had her as a teacher but have heard about her before. She was one of the truly good teachers at ISU (the type that are genuinely interested in their students success), and will definitely be missed.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We're having to delete way too many posts for a thread of this subject matter. This should be a given, but please attempt to stay respectful, guys.

If you didn't like this particular professor or have never heard of her, just keep it to yourself and refrain from posting about it.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
My favorite easily. I loved my journalism law class with her. Fantastic personality and one of the most genuine people you would ever meet. Her loss will be a tough one to come back from and she'll be greatly missed at the Greenlee school of Journalism, ISU, the Ames and Des Moines community and the journalism and law communities as a whole. Dark day today.
I'm in her media law class this semester (she may be gone, but it's still her class.) I saw her yesterday in class. She was fine. B. Mack just being B. Mack.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
You will be missed. :(

Terrible day along with a terrible week with the sad news also of a fellow board member losing a baby.

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
This makes me feel sad. Had her for 101 and Journalism Law. A friend and I had to leave 101 early one class so we sat in the corner by the door. When we got up to leave, hopefully being discreet, she still caught us out of the corner of her eye and called us out in front of the whole class. We laughed all the way down the stairs. I knew we didn't have a chance.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
do you know what other JL MC classes she taught?

Might have had her as a teacher i the future. RIP

She was teaching JlMC 460: Media Law and JlMC 462: Media Ethics this semester. I know she had taught JlMC 202 in the past.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
I know I'll miss that woman...not too many professors walking (or driving that tiny little car that i have no idea how she fit in) the ISU campus that are better educators of their life than her. RIP BMack!

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
I only know her from my Journalism friends talking about her, but even just from that I know she was a great educator and will be sorely missed. Keep the stories coming.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
never knew her/was involved with jlmc but wanted to mention CFH tweeted

@ISUMayor32
"Barbara Mack has an immense impact on the ISU family. She was an outstanding professor and a true Cyclone. She will be missed. #icon"

D

DistrictCyclone

never knew her/was involved with jlmc but wanted to mention CFH tweeted

@ISUMayor32
"Barbara Mack has an immense impact on the ISU family. She was an outstanding professor and a true Cyclone. She will be missed. #icon"

CFH is a class act.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
BMack was one of my favorite teachers at ISU. JL MC 101 with her was amazing! Who could forget her wanting to create a laptop pouch for her ***. :biglaugh: She will be missed dearly! RIP :sad:

I think the best thing that can be said about her is that she somehow made law and ethics classes worth going to even when you didn't need to. She was really tough on students but she was fair, something I didn't appreciate until after I graduated. I had four years worth of different professors in different majors, and she's the one that got the most out of me. I think that will be the legacy people will remember. RIP.

Cyclones26

May 11, 2010
Denver
Sad day. I have had her for class before and have already had two lectures with her this semester. Going to lecture tomorrow and her not being there wont seem right.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Somebody's going to have to come up with some pretty good evidence for sending her home, not good.

Guess you missed this part:

She was given the whole works, and it was determined that she had no sign (of a heart attack) given her health history. The tests came up negative.

Hospitals have dozens of chest pain / heart attack rule outs a day.

It's sad she's gone but suggesting it's the hospital's fault is likely misguided.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: everyyard

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Obviously something was wrong, just because she didn't have a heart attack doesn't mean there wasn't another issue.