Barbara Mack Passed Away

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Obviously something was wrong, just because she didn't have a heart attack doesn't mean there wasn't another issue.

Clearly something else happened. You can't expect a hospital to find something that may or may not happen when the tests do not indicate a risk/chance.

The standard tests related to chest pain / heart attack (or even stroke) rule out are exhaustive. If you've been through them or have a family member that has (or one that performs them daily) you understand how many tests are performed before someone is allowed to leave.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: everyyard
D

DistrictCyclone

Obviously something was wrong, just because she didn't have a heart attack doesn't mean there wasn't another issue.

Let's not derail the thread; this isn't important right now.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Sad day. I have had her for class before and have already had two lectures with her this semester. Going to lecture tomorrow and her not being there wont seem right.
Yeah, walking into that JlMC 460 lecture tomorrow morning at 8:00 will feel out of place.

This is when Cyclones need to stick together the most.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
If she caught you using your phone in class, she confiscated it until the next time your class met. She did not care who you were when it came to taking your phone away. Ask Royce White.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
BF also tweeted

Bill Fennelly
‏@ISUCoachFen
So sad to hear about the passing of Professor Barbara Mack. A true educator they impacted many lives at Iowa State!! She will be missed!!

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Heard the news today. I also never had her but when you heard her name you did have a clue about who she was. Here is hoping there is a moment of silence for her before the Tulsa / ISU FB game.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Completely shocked when I heard this news. She will end up being one of the few professors I remember from my time here because of the fun loving attitude she brought to class each day. Still remember when I walked into class on day and she was dancing to a rap song in front of 300 students. Going to JLMC 101 was a guaranteed laugh or two per class. Professor Mack will be greatly missed and always remembered by her students. RIP.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
best teacher i had while in school. you loved and feared coming to class all at the same time.

I still remember when she baked shaggy a cake after the iowa game where he hit the 5 FG's.

she will be missed.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't know how she was later, but when I had her class in 2004, she would chuck an eraser at anyone that used "like" incorrectly. In her time, she got pretty deadly accurate with that thing, too. Plugged a couple of kids square in the forehead with them.

In 2000, I used "like" incorrectly while attempting to answer a question in my JLMC 101 class, and she attempted to shame me and got me all flustered to the point where I just couldn't stop saying it. This was in front of around 400 people early in my freshman year. Then I just bust out laughing because of how ridiculous the situation was. We honestly got along great after that and I think she liked that I understood and didn't get bent out of shape about it.

Last edited:

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
I am still shocked by her passing....a few quotes from when I had 101 with her.
"it's not like doing a line of snow w/ a dollar bill and going to studio 54 and getting naked..." - BMack 12-4-09
I wouldnt sit in the aisle...i don't give a rats whisker but the fire marshall might - BMack 10-19-0

She was truly one of a kind and will be remembered by so many.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The only way you didn't get along with her or learn was if you didn't have an open mind, felt entitled, or didn't deal good with constructive criticism. Granted you probably aren't mature enough to admit it.

Only met her once but she had an incredible impact on a lot of my friends. They are in disbelief right now.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The only way you didn't get along with her or learn was if you didn't have an open mind, felt entitled, or didn't deal good with constructive criticism. Granted you probably aren't mature enough to admit it.

Only met her once but she had an incredible impact on a lot of my friends. They are in disbelief right now.

She had a significant impact on my life. Out of college I was looking for advertising jobs and looking at the classifieds from the Chicago Tribune. It turns out it was a Ponzi scheme where they were misrepresenting themselves as DARE representatives (with DARE nametags and everything) selling coupons for local businesses and giving only 25% of the profits to DARE while pocketing the rest (or, I should say, filtering the rest through the pyramid). I have a pretty good head on my shoulders and I saw it for what it was during the "tag along" interview (not that I was going to be pressured to make a decision or sign any official papers after walking around neighborhoods for 12 hours anyway), but had Barbara Mack not warned about such things in her classes I might have been more susceptible to it. Not to mention she (along with an adviser and another professor I liked) confirmed I made the right decision not taking that job. She did said something about looking into whether they were breaking any laws on the books (considering law and ethics were particularly her thing), but I never did hear about anything.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
I missed this thread last week, so I wanted to share one story I remember from her 460 Comm Law class back in spring of 08. About halfway through the semester, there were a couple of guys sitting in the class near me whom I had never seen before. They looked lost, possibly in the wrong place. Midway through the class, I think they figured out they were not where they were meant to be, so they got up and left. Naturally, BMAck chased them out of the lecture hall in Curtiss and down the hall until she could get an explanation from them!