Best Campustown Bars by Decade

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
was this on welch and occupied where sgt peppers once was? that place was weird it had one U shaped bar and a bunch of leather couches
I'd say easiest way to describe is directly across st from old Dairy Queen.

FDISU

Sep 11, 2019
80-84

Said it better than me:

NWICY

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/in-memoriam-ames-business-restaurants.237059/page-10

"Bars that are long gone Thumbs Up, The Billboard, The Hallway, top of the town, Granddaddy's, That Place (peanut shells all over the floor) Virginia City, Mississippi Queen/ the Brewery(?). Didn't include Cave Inn and the Library because they still exist but have new names Sips(?) and can't remember but somebody mentioned it earlier up thread right below pizza pit."
That list brings back a lot of memories. If I remember correctly, Thumbs Up, Granddaddy's and MQ had specials on different nights of the week so you could do the circuit and drink lots of cheap beer - dime draws or dollar pitchers. Where was Mississippi Queen -- was it on the south side of town somewhere? Maybe on South Duff?

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
That list brings back a lot of memories. If I remember correctly, Thumbs Up, Granddaddy's and MQ had specials on different nights of the week so you could do the circuit and drink lots of cheap beer - dime draws or dollar pitchers. Where was Mississippi Queen -- was it on the south side of town somewhere? Maybe on South Duff?
Located South of Earl Mays. Building is still there, it is now Athletic Club of Ames.

Reactions: FDISU

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Campustown in my years (96-00) had some great restaurants too though. I miss the McDonald's (now gone but was next to Welch Ave Station) where you could get 'Cyclone Fries' which was literally a brown bag full of their fries for like $3.

DaVinci's is still something I miss greatly.

Jimmy John's location now used to be Mr. Goodcents subs which was 100x better.

Hometeam Pizza with their Huger Huge deal was something we did a few times a week.
Pre renovation circa 2014? I wanna say, you could get Cyclone Fries at the west side McDonalds on Lincoln way across from the Hyvee. Not every night but it had to be an old head that worked at the Welch Ave McD's

Help Support Us

Become a patron