Big 12 Championship (March 6-7)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Ferrari (#4 seed) beat:
#5 Woodley, 8-5 (Woodley finished 5th)
#1 Sloan, 7-1 (Sloan got stuck by Coleman and defaulted out to 6th)
#2 Buchanan, 13-8

Weber (#4 seed) beat:
NS Mantanona, 16-2 (Mantanona finished 6th, with 3 falls)
#1 Wittlake, 5-3 SV-1 (Wittlake finished 3rd)
#3 Moody, 11-7

If Ferrari's win hadn't been for the team title, I think Weber would have gotten it.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Fair. Just trying to find the line between optimistic and realistic. Guy’s a beast on the international scene for freestyle; if we can translate that to folkstyle, his upside is huge.
Gonna have to get much better lungs as well! Curious why this was an issue.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Gonna have to get much better lungs as well! Curious why this was an issue.
Another thing I think you can chalk up to a difference in styles. That and the kid had just moved to the states. Who knows how much training he had done last summer/fall. But I agree though, it’s a clear area for improvement.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Looked like Andrews broke after G go the 1:00 riding time. After that he made no attempt to get off of his belly, and Gremmel just made some half-hearted attempts to wrist roll him, knowing he had the match at that point. Once in a while you can see where one wrestler has just broken the will of another and I think that it was apparent right there.
Gremmel did what he needed to do to win. That said, I wish officials would call stalling properly. What ever happened to working for the turn or you get dinged? I'm tired of watching wrestlers in the top position just ride to ride and not attempt a turn. Gremmel was riding parallel the entire last minute. Officials need to start calling stalling (again) for this! Used to be common to call stalling in that situation, but now you rarely ever see it.

And I'm not taking anything away from Gremmel. He did what he was allowed to do. If the ref doesn't tell you to work for the fall and warn of riding parallel, then you may as well put all your weight on your opponent when he's on his belly and just grab for wrists!

Reactions: CyGold

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Gremmel did what he needed to do to win. That said, I wish officials would call stalling properly. What ever happened to working for the turn or you get dinged? I'm tired of watching wrestlers in the top position just ride to ride and not attempt a turn. Gremmel was riding parallel the entire last minute. Officials need to start calling stalling (again) for this! Used to be common to call stalling in that situation, but now you rarely ever see it.

And I'm not taking anything away from Gremmel. He did what he was allowed to do. If the ref doesn't tell you to work for the fall and warn of riding parallel, then you may as well put all your weight on your opponent when he's on his belly and just grab for wrists!
I agree with this take. The rules have gotten better over the years but here are 3 situations that I would add a automatic stall call
1. Auto Stalling 1: Push-out rule on the feet (the first person that steps out get's an automatic stall call)
2. Auto Stalling 2: There are so many takedown attempts that turn into scrambles with the defender hugging a leg on his chest. The exposure rule has helped but if the guy grabs a leg and lays belly down they sit there forever waiting for a stalemate. The top guy is often completely behind the hips and has his opponents back with both arms free... This is sometimes called 2 but it's very inconsistent. IMO the top guy does have control but can't get his leg back (much like a bottom guy grabbing a hand or arm and not letting go). I'd add a 5 count in that position and make it an automatic stall on the bottom guy.
3. Auto Stalling 3: The top guy "lays on top" in a parallel ride with the bottom guy on his belly. This could be a 5 count with a automatic double stall. Again - implement a 5 count so both guys know it's coming. The top guy can either move to the side or he can take a double stall (which might be in his favor if the bottom guy already has been warned).

All 3 of these rules would help the refs be more consistent and create action and control in a match.