Big 12 gets another revenue bump ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The figure is up roughly $40 million from last year’s revenue, and the conference has now doubled its revenue since the 2012 fiscal year amid conference realignment changes. As for the revenue shares for each Big 12 program, the numbers ranged from $28 million to West Virginia to $28.9 million for Oklahoma. This marked the first time West Virginia and TCU were eligible to receive their full conference revenue shares as Big 12 members.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/26/big-12-revenue-eclipses-300-million-mark/

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Very nice...have a feeling that the next 4-5 years are going to be the golden age for television contracts. Lets get our facilities upgraded/completed while we have the cash...great opportunities at this time.

Reactions: DarkStar

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Very nice...have a feeling that the next 4-5 years are going to be the golden age for television contracts. Lets get our facilities upgraded/completed while we have the cash...great opportunities at this time.
Great if the revenue continues to pay off bonded indebtedness, assuming that's how facility upgrades are financed. If the bubble bursts or, God forbid, realignment shuffles 'the others' - like our two "States" - off to non-P5 conferences, it could be dramatic, to put it mildly.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I believe that the new viewing model will benefit ISU when conference shake-up happens again. We are not attractive to B1G because Iowa covers the state for televisions. But in the new viewing model you will actually need fans to purchase the right to view, not be bundled. Being the largest school in the state, AAU, etc, puts us in a much better position down the road to be attractive to the future conference overlords.

We would just help the decision if Matt can build the football program into a respectable opponent.

JP is doing the right things to capitalize on this financial upswing.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneworld

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Great if the revenue continues to pay off bonded indebtedness, assuming that's how facility upgrades are financed. If the bubble bursts or, God forbid, realignment shuffles 'the others' - like our two "States" - off to non-P5 conferences, it could be dramatic, to put it mildly.
Agree...it puts much of the capital investment that Iowa State is going through into better focus. You have to think that AD Pollard is going all in on Football (significant facility upgrades) knowing that the next 4-5 years are vital to conference placement.

If Campbell can put ISU into the top half...is it enough to put ISU in the super conference "haves", or too little, too late? So many things to play out over the next few years...

As for KSU, is your placement today enough? Can Synder last as coach until 2024? Your last attempt to replace him didn't fare so well...

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
So does Bowlsby get 2.6 million to keep his hands out of the cookie jar or does he actually provide value to our conference?

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
So does Bowlsby get 2.6 million to keep his hands out of the cookie jar or does he actually provide value to our conference?
You want to talk 'bubble,' just look at what this dolt makes. What has he done for this conference that rates more than what the average A.D. makes? John Currie just went to Tennessee for $1 million. Way bigger job.

These guys, conference presidents, throw money out like it's grass clippings. Disgusting. And what can the paying fan do about it - nothing.:mad:

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa

You want to talk 'bubble,' just look at what this dolt makes. What has he done for this conference that rates more than what the average A.D. makes? John Currie just went to Tennessee for $1 million. Way bigger job.

These guys, conference presidents, throw money out like it's grass clippings. Disgusting. And what can the paying fan do about it - nothing.:mad:

He's doubled each schools revenue under his leadership starting in 2012, despite being viewed as a very weak conference. I'd say he's doing as good of a job that anyone could do. He can only do so much since the presidents hold all the power.

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

mikesright

Sep 3, 2012
This is...sorta bad news. Since it appears TCU and WVU are fully vested, they distributed about $28-29 million per school compared to over $30m last year.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
He's doubled each schools revenue under his leadership starting in 2012, despite being viewed as a very weak conference. I'd say he's doing as good of a job that anyone could do. He can only do so much since the presidents hold all the power.

Chuck N. laid much ground work for the revenue raise. The conference has been stagnant ever since Bowlsby took the reins. This conference needs some visionary leadership in the mode of J. Pollard or Oliver Luck. What we have is a stuffed shirt that believes the presidents hold all the power, and the commissioner should just make congenial press releases. Bob Bowlsby is just biding his time until the Big 10 or PAC 12 comes calling and offers a pay bonus. In my opinion the guy is just a "yes man" and is grossly over compensated.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
This conference needs some visionary leadership in the mode of J. Pollard or Oliver Luck. What we have is a stuffed shirt that believes the presidents hold all the power, and the commissioner should just make congenial press releases.

According to the conference's bylaws, they do. The commissioner is not a unilateral authority. The Board of Directors (presidents/chancellors) are the voting body. The commissioner does what they tell him to do.

"The Commissioner shall be the chief executive officer of the Conference, subject to the direction and under the supervision of the Board of Directors"

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
The commissioner does not need to be a unilateral authority to provide some direction and leadership for the conference. Do you think the Big 10 has made its progress because a group of loosely connected presidents have compromised their way to prosperity? Or is it more likely a visionary in the name of Delaney has improvised a plan with realistic goals to move the conference forward, that then the presidents all bought into.

The "Big 12 expansion" was an example of Bowlsby ineptitude. Remember "one true champion"? For that the guy makes 2.6 million. In my opinion this conference deserves better. People in leadership roles feel entitled to healthy paychecks. I fail to see where he has been worth his salt. Most people I know provide value to their employers for which they are justly compensated. Where is the value in this man's work? What legacy has he provided that we should pay millions for?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

You do remember that Neinas had everything lined up and done when he went out the door? Bowlsby has sat on his hands basically.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I have a feeling in 4-5 years - all contracts are going backwards. ESPN has already shown what happens when networks over pay for TV rights.

The amount of money going to the NBA, NFL and colleges has gotten out of hand and the consumers are starting to slow down the purhcasing. The other day i heard 10K people a day are cutting the cord, if that is true - what is ESPn, Fox or other networks going to bid for the tv rights? I cannot believe its going to be more than it is today and could quite possibly be less.

• Winner
Reactions: Bryce7

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
This is...sorta bad news. Since it appears TCU and WVU are fully vested, they distributed about $28-29 million per school compared to over $30m last year.

Not really. We knew we'd see a temporary spike in revenue sharing because of TCU and WVU lower share. This has been known the entire time.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The commissioner does not need to be a unilateral authority to provide some direction and leadership for the conference. Do you think the Big 10 has made its progress because a group of loosely connected presidents have compromised their way to prosperity? Or is it more likely a visionary in the name of Delaney has improvised a plan with realistic goals to move the conference forward, that then the presidents all bought into.

The "Big 12 expansion" was an example of Bowlsby ineptitude. Remember "one true champion"? For that the guy makes 2.6 million. In my opinion this conference deserves better. People in leadership roles feel entitled to healthy paychecks. I fail to see where he has been worth his salt. Most people I know provide value to their employers for which they are justly compensated. Where is the value in this man's work? What legacy has he provided that we should pay millions for?

The one true champion where Baylor and tcu tie but bowlsby doesn't have a tie breaker so we miss the playoffs. Then he has the expansion talks where we talk to teams and then announce we aren't doing anything. Baylor has the mountain of assault, rape, and other issues and they get punished by saying, we will hold some revenue but give it back when we feel things are ok. Bowlsby has shown ability to pull a paycheck and that is the extent of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Bestaluckcy

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Fire Bowlsby and save money. Hey, the revenue was from more and better bowl game revenues.