Boat vs. RV/Camper?

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
My wife and I are finally at the point where we can consider getting one or the other, but we're having trouble making this decision, so I thought I'd try to get some advice from the cyclone faithful.

Have any of you already gone through this process and if so, what did you decide and why? Keep in mind that we're just starting out and are trying to find something small/affordable or a good deal. Any tips on how to find a good deal would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance fanatics!

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
My wife and I are finally at the point where we can consider getting one or the other, but we're having trouble making this decision, so I thought I'd try to get some advice from the cyclone faithful.

Have any of you already gone through this process and if so, what did you decide and why? Keep in mind that we're just starting out and are trying to find something small/affordable or a good deal. Any tips on how to find a good deal would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance fanatics!

I think it depends on what you like to do. Are you a big fisherman? Do you water ski? Do you live near a lake or other body of water that you'd be able to recreate at often (and do you enjoy that kind of thing?)? Are you looking at a fishing boat/speed boat/pontoon boat? Are you and your wife retired? Do you have the time to take an R/V on an extended vacation (> 1 month) on a yearly basis? I'm guessing since you are choosing between a boat and an R/V you are either planning on buying a really nice boat (i.e., a pontoon) or a relatively small camper.

Personally, the water is my second home, so I'd choose the boat in a second. I also couldn't justify owning an R/V unless I planned on living out of it for at least 2-3 months of the year.

Reactions: Jonecy

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Both can be a huge pain in the *** so you just have to ask whether you like camping or boating better. Keep in mind you can camp without a camper, tough to go boating without a boat (although friends with boats is a good way to go!).

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Boat for sure. Remember the old saying though, its so true, the best days with your boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Boats are probably easier to sell.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Boat for sure. Remember the old saying though, its so true, the best days with your boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Boats are probably easier to sell.

Also remember what BOAT stands for...Break Out Another Thousand...same probably goes for R/V's though...

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
I'd go for the camper. It's easier to rent boats for the few times a summer you'll probably end up using it. The best day in a boaters life is the day they sell it. You could also use the camper to tailgate Cyclone football games!!!!!

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
I think it depends on what you like to do. Are you a big fisherman? Do you water ski? Do you live near a lake or other body of water that you'd be able to recreate at often (and do you enjoy that kind of thing?)? Are you looking at a fishing boat/speed boat/pontoon boat? Are you and your wife retired? Do you have the time to take an R/V on an extended vacation (> 1 month) on a yearly basis? I'm guessing since you are choosing between a boat and an R/V you are either planning on buying a really nice boat (i.e., a pontoon) or a relatively small camper.

Personally, the water is my second home, so I'd choose the boat in a second. I also couldn't justify owning an R/V unless I planned on living out of it for at least 2-3 months of the year.

It's a tough call for us for the following reasons....
-We live in MN and are surrounded by lakes. I do like to fish, but I'm not any good at it yet b/c I don't get out enough. I also like to ski & wakeboard, but the wife could care less - she just enjoys the sun.
-We live in MN and are surrounded by great camping and would have extra room for our growing family up at the in-law's cabin (small A-frame).
-We still have ISU FB Season Tix, so the Camper/RV could be used for tailgating and staying over night (this one makes it really tough).

We aren't looking for a really nice camper or a really nice boat - just a good product for a good deal. The camper would likely need to be a pull trailer (not 5th wheel) and the boat would need to be a fish/ski boat.

Don't get me wrong - this is a good problem to have, but I just can't seem to be swayed one way or the other yet. I think it will really come down to the best deal that presents itself.......if anyone has experience or knows how to get a good deal on either, I would really appreciate those tips.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
We use our boat roughly 20 times per year and sleep near the lake maybe 7 of those nights. It is more reasonable to rent lodging than it is to rent a boat. The only exception that I could think of is if your wife refuses to attend ISU games without having an RV for tailgating. Then the decision would be a no brainer.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
A boat is great if you can leave it on the water. It's a pain to have to trailer it and put it in the water every time you want to go out. The down side is that when you leave it in the water you have a mess on your hands at the end of the summer.

An RV, I can't think of a worse thing to do. After you factor in cost, fuel mileage, driving something the size of a barge, sleeping in a glorified tent (The cheap ones), paying to park it, being next to other RV'rs, etc. It would be cheaper to just stay in a 4 star hotel every night.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
A boat is great if you can leave it on the water. It's a pain to have to trailer it and put it in the water every time you want to go out. The down side is that when you leave it in the water you have a mess on your hands at the end of the summer.

An RV, I can't think of a worse thing to do. After you factor in cost, fuel mileage, driving something the size of a barge, sleeping in a glorified tent (The cheap ones), paying to park it, being next to other RV'rs, etc. It would be cheaper to just stay in a 4 star hotel every night.

You do need to account for where you store it. Most cities have rules about where on your lot they can be. If each is small it may be an identical question but boats are usually a little easier to tuck away in the side or rear yard.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street

So you're the guy taking 20 minutes to back his boat in the water to launch it. Remember turn the wheel the opposite way you want the boat to go. :biglaugh:

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I know, that's why I think it's best to get a quality used product (regardless of what I get).....that's the tricky part. :wink:
Do you live close to Minneapolis? They have several huge annual Boat/RV shows downtown that would probably be a good place to start and see what you like. Pretty sure there is a mix of used and new things there.

Once you make up your mind you can shop around for the best deal.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
So you're the guy taking 20 minutes to back his boat in the water to launch it. Remember turn the wheel the opposite way you want the boat to go. :biglaugh:

That is exactly what I was thinking. :biglaugh:

My advice, go with the boat. You can camp in a tent or get a hotel room if you want to go somewhere. You can rent a cabin or get a hotel room for cheaper than you can rent a boat for a day.

We use our pontoon a ton. It is a fishing pontoon but also has a big L couch so it is great for cruising too. We go out a lot on weeknights with it as well for a quick cruise and fishing trip.

Instead of buying a camper we are saving up for a cabin up north somewhere. Maybe in 5 years or so.

Either way you go they are both money holes but well worth it just to get out and do stuff. My theory is this, life is all about what experiences you had along the way, you can't take your money to the grave so if you can afford it have a little fun while were here.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
Do you live close to Minneapolis? They have several huge annual Boat/RV shows downtown that would probably be a good place to start and see what you like. Pretty sure there is a mix of used and new things there.

Once you make up your mind you can shop around for the best deal.

Yeah, I thought about a couple shows, but most of them are in January/February up here.....now I'm just wandering aimlessly on the internet looking for some leads.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

Oh I've owned watercraft so don't give me that 20 minutes thing.

Yeah lets sit here for 30 minutes in line to get in the water.

Now spend 3 hours at a counselor talking about how I shouldn't yell at my wife about her backing up skills while I'm trying to put the boat in the water.

Now when your done for the day go back and get the tow vehicle.

Now spend 3 hours at the counselor talking about how I shouldn't yell at my wife for not being able drive the boat onto the trailer.

Luckily I still have a wife but if I wouldn't have sold our last PWC, I'd probably be single.

Reactions: ianoconnor

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice

My advice, go with the boat. You can camp in a tent or get a hotel room if you want to go somewhere. You can rent a cabin or get a hotel room for cheaper than you can rent a boat for a day.

We use our pontoon a ton. It is a fishing pontoon but also has a big L couch so it is great for cruising too. We go out a lot on weeknights with it as well for a quick cruise and fishing trip.

Instead of buying a camper we are saving up for a cabin up north somewhere. Maybe in 5 years or so.

Either way you go they are both money holes but well worth it just to get out and do stuff. My theory is this, life is all about what experiences you had along the way, you can't take your money to the grave so if you can afford it have a little fun while were here.

So let me ask you this - do you think you'd use the boat as much if it wasn't a pontoon? If it was a smaller 16-17' fish/ski boat, would you get as much enjoyment or are you really glad you have a pontoon?

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Good call. Then you have a place to use your boat, a place to store your boat, and a place to stay all in one.